the challenge of square grind...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDRMNKY

ArboristSite Dork
Reaction score
...intrigues me, and has me hooked for the moment...until the next shiny thing comes along.

I have a Stihl USG...a couple years old

I've read about the NLA square grind attachment for it in a few places, including here...

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/61494.htm

dresser attachment, different base, square wheel...okay

so I said to myself, "why couldn't a guy dress a wheel square, and figure out the setup?"

spent some time this afternoon doing that, and using a loop of 3/8" RSLFK as reference. it was a PITA, (and Madsens online info was helpful), but I thought I got there. all this done on the RH cutters...then I mirrored everything to make sure it looked the same on the LH cutters...and it didn't. I even tried a few different mirrored settings, and got the same result. what I got was, once the USG was set for the RH cutters, and I mirrored everything, the grind depth and tooth stop settings where off...about 1/16" too high, and too far back.

so...can someone tell me what makes the USG square grind base different than my base?

or...WTH I might be overlooking, forgetting, or FUBARing?

what I came up with (before the mirror problem) was +30 (should probably be +40), -30/+30, +15/-15
this is in USG format A (grinder angle), B (table offset?), C (top plate angle)...pic for reference

(click me...I get bigger!)
View attachment 272647

maybe someone can tell me what the settings should be?

Back