The correct kind of compression guage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most saws are closer to 150-160 PSI, but not all. Go test a new Dolmar 420...190 PSI stock. Or test a old Homey SXL-925. You'll likely pull 180 PSI. Mine's 200 without a base gasket. Many of my modded saws are in the 170-175 PSI range. My Stihl S-10 has new rings and a good cylinder but still only makes 125 PSI.

Brad,
Here's a quote from an earlier post you made about the Lisle:

I just got the Lisle 20250 I ordered from Amazon. I chose the free shipping and got it in like 2 days. I took my modded MS260 and checked it a couple times with my AutoZone guage I've been using. I then checked it a couple times with the new Lisle. Both guages read with in 2 lbs of each other at 178-180 pounds. It cost me $27, but I know I'm getting a good reading now.

Now you're saying this:

That's the one I use. I have a more expensive Lisle and it does not work as well. It takes more pulls to pump it up and reads low to boot. Your mileage may vary.

When did your Lisle lose its accuracy? I bought the 20250 based, in part, on your earlier recommendation.

Brad,
Here's a quote from an earlier post you made about the Lisle:

Now you're saying this:

When did your Lisle lose its accuracy? I bought the 20250 based, in part, on your earlier recommendation.

Always considered a Lisle gauge to be a good one, not sure now. I'll stick with the gauge I have. Hold em down tight and pull with a vengeance.

Last edited:
Called Baileys and they said it was at the tip. Apparently its inside about 1/2 in. so its hard to see w/o shining a light in opening. Kinda thought my Baileys was somewhat accurate but know I know

Howdy,
I'm not sure who told you that or why but, ours is on the gauge. The gauge we sell is the same one Husqvarna sells to the dealers. We just access it directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan. We used them for many years without worry. I can't vouch for accuracy because that was the only one we used.

Brad,
If you want to do some comparison testing, I'll send you one.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
I'm not sure who told you that or why but, ours is on the gauge. The gauge we sell is the same one Husqvarna sells to the dealers. We just access it directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan. We used them for many years without worry. I can't vouch for accuracy because that was the only one we used.

Brad,
If you want to do some comparison testing, I'll send you one.
Regards
Gregg

Thanks for the reply Gregg. I'd be more than happy to test my AutoZone and Lisle guages with the guage you're selling. I can test them against the guages on my air compressor and regulator, as well as on the same saw.

Most saws are closer to 150-160 PSI, but not all. Go test a new Dolmar 420...190 PSI stock. Or test a old Homey SXL-925. You'll likely pull 180 PSI. Mine's 200 without a base gasket. Many of my modded saws are in the 170-175 PSI range. My Stihl S-10 has new rings and a good cylinder but still only makes 125 PSI.

I guess some of the older saw had a higher compression ratio? Same with the modded saw prob raised the compression.

The KD tester utilizes a rubber hose and threads into the cylinder head and has been useless to me to date. Both of my testers utilize the Schrader tips. I trust the gauge that works for me and have tested approximately 30 saws, tired, saws, newly rebuilt saws, saws that I rebuilt and have run in the bush for extended periods of time and new saws. To my knowledge all the saws are stock. None have registered over 155 PSI. I did change seals in an Echo 500vl recently. I tested the saw prior to disassembly and it was 150 PSI on the money. I damaged the base gasket so I cut several of my own with the material I had on hand. The best reading I get now is 135. I will leave the 500vl at such until I find an OEM gasket to fit. Just my personal experience on the subject. I would be interested in further observations regarding same.:greenchainsaw:

You might want to check out this recall...

echo recall
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml86/86053.html

:sucks: You guys should post in private messages. Freebies make my mouth water and my knees shake. I bet blsnelling had this one figured out before Grande Dog even offered. Sly cat!

No, but it doesn't surprise me. I've already got two guages. Gregg's just that interested in good customer service. You can't go wrong buying from Baileys!

I'll be sure to update this thread. Thanks again for your great service to this forum.
Howdy,
Since we were doing this, I had the warehouse check it. Looks like I'm all wet. They changed it to where the valve is in the end of the hose and the release is in the gauge. It's still on the way. I would still like a comparison, and I think other folks would be interested also. Sorry for the misinformation.
Regards
Gregg

No, but it doesn't surprise me. I've already got two guages. Gregg's just that interested in good customer service. You can't go wrong buying from Baileys!

I love the marketing end of it...Willing to put it in someones hand that will get back w/ him...I hope he sells 100+ for doing it...

Somone said you need to make this post a sticky. If you get too many sticky's I think it clutters up the first page. I'd rather click on the site and see post and pics of saws not all sticky's. What should of happened a long time ago is there needs to be one sticky, then within that sticky have links to other threads about chainsaw repair, tips for certain models and maybe mods . Each thread should be written by well respected, knowledgeable members of the forum- you don't want any ole yahoo like me writing the thread. Then maybe the writer could pass it along to some other "key" members and let them proof read it and suggest other ideas. When they have the final copy, post it up and lock the thread. This way you have a well written, thread with good pics that's planned and informative without a lot of nonsense post. Some "key" members have made 1000's of post and already spent more time answering stupid questions.

The info is already out there in the forum, but sometimes its not very well written and organized and its cluttered up with nonsense post.

I have a harbor freight one, generally I wouldnt buy my tools from them, but the price was right, and its built pretty well.

I don't want to cause you grief, but I have the Harbor Freight version and it quit on me the other day. It will not hold compression. I think I've had it for about 2 or 3 years. I'll be getting the Actron from AutoZone soon.

Kevin

Back