The correct kind of compression guage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highly unlikely you will find the right one without buying a new gauge.
I'd call the Snap-on dealer... valve from any snapon adapter will work.

the parts store is worth a try too

I know that Snap-on has them b/c a guy I work w/ just replaced his in the one I borrrow...

I know that Snap-on has them b/c a guy I work w/ just replaced his in the one I borrrow...

Well...with 2 posts about Snap-on, I'll have to see if I can find where a Snap-on dealer is locally here in the boonies. I guess the phone book is a good place to start...

Kevin

snap-on may be high, but they are real good about support.
they should have the tiny valve separately.

as brad said... it's a special low spring tension shrader valve.
one of my snap-on adapters was not holding, so I took the shrader valve out and tossed it.... mistake.... though it was a regular shrader valve, which I had loads of. after finding out a std valve wouldn't work... was digging in the trash until I found the old valve.

turned out main seal was not holding. twisted a bit harder and adapter held fine with old valve tip.

I just emailed Snap-on to see if they would quote me a price for mailing me a shrader valve...or point me to where the closet Snap-on truck is. I did mention that it wasn't for a Snap-on compression tester. I'll see if they reply.

BTW Brad...didn't mean to hijack your thread...

Kevin

don't tell them it's not for a snap-on tool. why in the world would they want to support someone else's $40 gauge. vs snap-on's for $250

ask a shrader valve that fits an adapter from a two piece snapon gauge set. look at pictures posted above.

a tiny valve is customer service only. what you need to do is find who the snap-on dealer that does the route near your house.

you can call local garages nearby or snapon HQ.

don't tell them it's not for a snap-on tool. why in the world would they want to support someone else's $40 gauge. vs snap-on's for $250

ask a shrader valve that fits an adapter from a two piece snapon gauge set. look at pictures posted above.

a tiny valve is customer service only. what you need to do is find who the snap-on dealer that does the route near your house.

you can call local garages nearby or snapon HQ.

I didn't think it would matter if I wanted to buy the part...not have it given to me as support for their product. But you could be right in that they don't want to be bothered. If that's the case, they won't reply to my email I sent.

I'll try to find the local Snap-on guy.

Kevin

I just got the guage from Baileys. It's the middle of the work day so I don't have time for a full report right now. However, I did throw it on the 029 Super that was pulling 135-138 on my AutoZone guage. This guage from Baileys pulls 142-143 PSI. I'm liking it already, lol. I don't care if it's accurate, I just want it to read high:greenchainsaw:. I'm curious to see the difference in how they read pressurized by a compressor tank vs how the read on the same saw. BTW, there is a one-way valve about 1/2" up in the tip. It is not a removeable Schrader valve, but it does have the required one-way valve.

I just got the guage from Baileys. It's the middle of the work day so I don't have time for a full report right now. However, I did throw it on the 029 Super that was pulling 135-138 on my AutoZone guage. This guage from Baileys pulls 142-143 PSI. I'm liking it already, lol. I don't care if it's accurate, I just want it to read high:greenchainsaw:. I'm curious to see the difference in how they read pressurized by a compressor tank vs how the read on the same saw. BTW, there is a one-way valve about 1/2" up in the tip. It is not a removeable Schrader valve, but it does have the required one-way valve.

Brad,,,if she runs good,,idles good starts good,,run the hell outta it!!!! P.S. Amazing work you did on that,,I had to say again...So hard to believe thats the same saw!!!! :clap:

I have never used a compression gauge before, but I want to buy one. If I buy one with the schrader valve for use in a small 2-stroke engine like a chainsaw, will the same gauge also work for larger 2-stroke engines like a dirtbike or snowmobile?

yes.. providing what you are measuring has right spark plug type/size

I have never used a compression gauge before, but I want to buy one. If I buy one with the schrader valve for use in a small 2-stroke engine like a chainsaw, will the same gauge also work for larger 2-stroke engines like a dirtbike or snowmobile?

To ease everyone on the accuracy of the Lisle, mine is right on with two separate air gauges/compressors. Maybe Brad got one that was produced on Friday.

I don't want to cause you grief, but I have the Harbor Freight version and it quit on me the other day. It will not hold compression. I think I've had it for about 2 or 3 years. I'll be getting the Actron from AutoZone soon.

Kevin

I bet your Schrader valve just needs tightened. I have mine.

The Schrader valve was loose, so I tightened it down 'just snug', but it still doesn't work. Actually, it wouldn't read at all after that. With it 'just snug', the valve doesn't work like it should (the valve end piece will not move up/down). With the valve loosened, it will function (I can push the valve end piece and it moves up/down). I'm not sure if I'm describing this properly. I think I just need to get a new one and compare how the Schrader valve's

Kevin

Well it is Snap-On after all.
Actually i thought you wanted the complete set. Heres a link to the valve
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/sear...nsfr=true&search_type=Part&store=snapon-store

Thanks for the link. Hopefully the shipping won't scare me off...:). At least now I have a part number.

Kevin

Thought I'd bump this thread. This might help someone for reference. I used the link from gatkeeper1 and ordered a valve ($2.17 to my door, UPS). It fits in my non-SnapOn tester and works just fine.

Kevin

id guess 85-90 % of testers in cadders hands are shcrader vavle.

i honestly havent seen the other style in shops or garages maybe 90 percent are shcaders

i bet the other style costs more

the only way to know for sure which gauge is accurate is to compare against a calibration standards gauge.

since most folks don't have one of those and will not pay the costs to send out for calibration.

the next best thing is to compare against the highest quality gauges commercially available. which is Drager and Snap-on. both of those are calibrated at the factory. yes there is a reason the best costs more.

brad,
did you ever evaluate the gauges to see which is more accurate?

Back