the death of tree climbing as we know it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROLLACOSTA

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
TREEWRK said:
It's too bad because when people see hacked trees they just assume that
all tree guys do the same work.
I myself am proud of the work I do even if it takes a little longer it's done right.

I DOUBT 99.99% OF PEOPLE CAN TELL A WELL PRUNED TREE FROM A POORLY PRUNED ONE...... :angry:

Big A

Big A

ArboristSite Operative
:angry:
ROLLACOSTA said:
I DOUBT 99.99% OF PEOPLE CAN TELL A WELL PRUNED TREE FROM A POORLY PRUNED ONE...... :angry:
Too right, and 99.99% of that 99.99% couldn't give a to$$ anyway. Then I know on good authority of a local company who told his climbers to go back up the tree and do the job properly. Climber gets confused and asks boss man whats the problem. Boss man points out all those Shigo cuts (didn't know the name) and says that he doesn't like them left like that and he wants them flushed off "properly". Climber wastes his breath trying to educate the man. Climber is now in alternative employment as he feels its not worth the hassle if the bosses cant be bothered. This company have been about for around 25 years mutilating our trees to BS3998 standards (not) but are winning council contracts away from people who do know and do better quality work. Phew! Rant over! :angry:

JonnyHart

JonnyHart

ArboristSite Operative
It Makes Me Want To Slit My Wrist!!!

:cry: Last year I trimmed a few big, beautiful pin oaks on a beautiful property, and the boss made me make flush cuts, AND, spray each cut, not with wound dressing, but with SPRAY ON TRUCK BED LINER! He said "it's just as good as wound dressing", and I say " if I just collar cut the the freakin branches, we would not need dressing at all, and even though they are flush, this sh!t is probably more harmfull than helpfull". He then started explaining a bunch o crap that was MAYBE industry standard in 1970. The only thing I dislike more than a hack, is working for one. That employer didn't last too long.

lxt

Addicted to ArboristSite
FIRST MURPH I AGREE WITH YOU 100% AS BACK HERE IN PITTSBURGH EVERYONES GETTIN LAIDOFF AND THEREFORE THEY GRAB THE LAWN MOWER, CHAINSAW & WEEDEATER AND BECOME A TREE OR LANDSCAPE SERVICE. THE CARE OF SKILL IS ZER0 AND WANT FOR THE CUSTOMERS $$$$ IS TOO MUCH TO MENTION. ITS ALL ABOUT HOW LOW CAN YOU GO. AND AS FOR TRAINING THE ISA HAS GOOD LITERATURE BUT THEIR CERT. PROGRAMS ARE A JOKE!!!! I THINK INSTEAD OF EMPOWERING THE ISA(a dues collection agency,with no care of skill just members= $$) HOW ABOUT TRADE SCHOOLS THAT OFFER TRAINING & APPRENTICESHIPS THIS WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO, AT LEAST YOU KNOW THE PERSON IS GETTING HANDS ON TRAINING!!!! DOUG, LXT........................

ulk77more

ulk77more

ArboristSite Lurker
murphy4trees said:
this thread could also be called "here come the hacks"....

In one case there was a well known and large local company with new 65' bucket, chip truck. and intimdator... driving around a front yard full of 100' tulip trees and hacking off just about anything they could reach with a bucket... This guy charges good money and cranks out shoddy work constantly....

I think that the new model for tree work around here is tending towards buying the big equipment and bucket and you don't have to worry about the knowledge or skill of your employees... Bad news for the trees.... and the prices are falling, especially on big removals... gotta feed the beast with fresh wood constantly...

Wish I could put a positive spin on it... guess I should be happy I didn't end up like that....

I went on a job and left because the owner wanted me to prune his trees so much that they would almost look like palm trees you just can't do that to a maple ,beech,oak or ash and expect them to stay healthy. his reasoning was he hated cleaning up his lawn after a bad storm and he didn't like cleaning up leaves in the fall.

He owned a resort and had a hack crew come in they did what he wanted most of the trees died and his resort failed.
The bank then called me and had me prune ALL the trees off @ ground level and then they had a company come in and put new trees in but it still wasn't the same a 48" oak does not regrow overnight nor does a 36" h-maple or even a number of yellow birch ranging from 20"-30" and the one tree that I probably will never see it's size again was a 26" ironwood tree there were other ones of each kind that I mentioned but they were smaller but just as tall
Since I live in a rural area everyone saw their work and they had a hard time even getting removals :p

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
what i've always been curious about with this site.....

if every one here is so into proper pruning , how come no one ever posts pics of tree's they've pruned or large estate's they've maintained? the majority of the pic's posted are all big bad removals which you guy's claim to be against.

begleytree

begleytree

H. sapiens moderatus
Live oak. You'd prob be supprised how much came out of it.
MB, don'tcha love those spread out things? That one had no good central leader for tie in, from pic ya had to do one side, move, and do the other. Or was it a bucket job?
-Ralph

BigJohn

BigJohn

ArboristSite Guru
I must be one of those guys too Dan with the fancy 75' bucket. That's all I do drive the bucket around the front yard stealing all the removals.

I need to start working weekends so I can learn how to climb again. My saddle doesnt see much action anymore.

chipper

chipper

ArboristSite Operative
It is truly a shame. Everywhere I look, I see stubs, torn and peeled bark, bad cuts and ugly jobs. They stand out so well because it looks irregular. The proper, good work doesn't stick out because it is done right and looks as natural as we can do it. Hatchets are always gonna be there, but so are the people who know good work when they see it!!

Latest posts