The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only a tender driver could manage to find a spot soft enough to have his rig go off an edge at the anchor point of a small fire. And being a very small fire (5 acres), we had no dozer, so said tender operator had to ask politely to use the landowner's large tractor plus the Squad Wagon to unstick himself. 'Twas embarassing

One of my operators up in PA broke a pin on a hoe today. Anyone know the bucket pin size on a Caterpillar 365BL? Mind you, the hoe weighs 68 metric tons. I'm not completely sure, but I think it's in the 3-4" range. That's a big ****ing pin.

How do you break that loading trucks? I'm pissed off, not that the replacement part is $200, but that we brought in the big hoe to expedite some of our bigger jobs and it's OOB in its' first week. So now I'm paying for a $300,000 dollar machine and losing productivity because I have to run a 349 in its' place.

It's November in the PNW, its pissing down rain, and threatening wind, so I called off regular scheduled logging for today.

My climber guy is dealing with mersa right now and wanted to get a tree down, I figure easy money...

Usual arborist junk, leaner alder, covered in ivy, Toss a line in er since its leaning over the house, on a steep hill. Line goes in no prob, start working on tying the line off, I'm knee deep in mud on a side hill.

This is when the ground bees decide to make their presence known... Took 2 in the face.

They chased us all the way back to the crummy...

My mac T is still there along with my bull line... its november damnit...

It's November in the PNW, its pissing down rain, and threatening wind, so I called off regular scheduled logging for today.

My climber guy is dealing with mersa right now and wanted to get a tree down, I figure easy money...

Usual arborist junk, leaner alder, covered in ivy, Toss a line in er since its leaning over the house, on a steep hill. Line goes in no prob, start working on tying the line off, I'm knee deep in mud on a side hill.

This is when the ground bees decide to make their presence known... Took 2 in the face.

They chased us all the way back to the crummy...

My mac T is still there along with my bull line... its november damnit...

Stop raiding their hives.

Spent the weekend on small thinning/beetle prevention job in a national park, above the inversion, which was ultra nice. A friend of mine has an old house/setlement there, which has the right to get wood for repairs and firewood from the forests around-goes some 100 years back this way, so some 10 cords were to make along the way. 30 deg slope, spruce 6"-14", 80-130+ ft tall-quite damn too much for the location and DBH, doghaired stand and snaggy tops at places. Some tricky snags around the house too. So far, so good and kinda relax.
A bunch of our friends were assigned to carry the firewood outta the stand, as part of the stand was directly adjacent to the house-the sawlogs from the rest will go out by horses in the winter. Most of them were people who I actualy quite liked-till this weekend. Those exemplary a$$holes don´t realize and care what snaggy top means, how far it can reach, walking in the lay of a tree I´m just wedging over, two minutes after I told them I´m gona lay a tree right there and that it will sure bring down a shover of branches. "It is thin, so it is small and no problem or danger outta it". Watchers silently sneaking 5 ft behind me right into place where I´m gonna swing the saw on escape, ******** about "give ´er a whack, or better get outta there, we will push it over by hands, what th f**k with it" while I´m tenderly tapping a wegde trying my best not to stumpbreak a 100ft, 7" DBH matchstick with sunflower-like, snow-broken crown leaning 8 ft backwards, so flimsy I could get two visible wawes in the stem. One of thee folks grabbing the friends saw, as he is "experienced" with it (how he didn´t get killed or didn´t kill someone in past years he was helping him is beyond me) and making one helluva mess of high stumps with cuts sloping in all directions. Cross-sloping undercut with sloping backcut done from the downhill side was very new for me, I must admit, as well as attempt on underbucking a hanger with springpoled branches still uncut from the bottom part... Kids (4-7 years) were the least trouble, because somehow a look and wawing a hand was pretty enought to direct them to safe place. Even when they took posession of my axe and used it somewhere in the brush for a day, so I had to borrow one-mine was nicely placed along other upon final tool recolection, with edge OK.
Pretty mixed feelings-given the scenery and weather, nice two days with a saw in the mountains, which I missed for a long time-but I think I´ve lost some friends, since I can´t have any respect for them and several of them I can´t probably stand anymore...

Latest posts

Back