The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weird random thought of the day,
the cascade mountains, and the rocky mountains are pretty dang close in height above sea level, (Mt Rainier is taller... suck it Colorado)
the big difference though is you can see the rocky's pretty much year round from 400 miles away.
Meanwhile, the Cascades are more or less covered on clouds, if not clouds theres to damned many trees in the way, so you don't get a good idea as to just how big they are unless you are in the right place on a clear day.
But also, the Rocky's sprout from the plains, while the Cascades border sea level, yet they still don't seem as impressive... its weird.

Any experience here with straightening a Sthil Lite? Any tips? Slight bow with a twist. Just enough to aggravate me.

Ron
the bow is easy, its that twist thats difficult..
more or less the same methods as a solid bar, just no hammering, you'll have to find some way of getting leverage to try and get the twist out, and there will be dents in the panels covering the hollow sections.
They are VERY springy, "it has a memory" and way tougher then you would think, so that twist is gonna be stubborn. I've had to chuck 3 of em because of the twist.
once its straight, go through and make sure the rails are not squished or spread of course.

I talked to a landowner yesterday about some logging. He wanted me to work miracles and pay me what amounted to less than break even. He got snotty when I mentioned this to him. He said that people up here just didn't understand cash flow and fiscal liquidity. I told him he was probably right but we sure as hell understand working for nothing.

He was from San Francisco... absentee owner type of guy. Wouldn't walk the sale with me because his LL Bean boots were, in his words "just too new".

I turned down the job and when he asked who else I knew I gave him the names of a couple of guys I don't like. They deserve each other. :D
Sounds about right. He needs some red wings.

Thanks, NM. I have straightened some seriously bend solid bars.

Without hammering I have this slightly bent lite bar close, but the insert feels like it might let go. A vice and Crescent are all I have to handle the twist but I have been reluctant to go that route.

Ron

Thanks, NM. I have straightened some seriously bend solid bars.

Without hammering I have this slightly bent lite bar close, but the insert feels like it might let go. A vice and Crescent are all I have to handle the twist but I have been reluctant to go that route.

Ron
the inserts on the Stihl light bars are welded, and epoxied, if it comes out... I'd be surprised...
maybe screw a couple 2x4's together like a clamp and use that as a lever?

weird random thought of the day,
the cascade mountains, and the rocky mountains are pretty dang close in height above sea level, (Mt Rainier is taller... suck it Colorado)
the big difference though is you can see the rocky's pretty much year round from 400 miles away.
Meanwhile, the Cascades are more or less covered on clouds, if not clouds theres to damned many trees in the way, so you don't get a good idea as to just how big they are unless you are in the right place on a clear day.
But also, the Rocky's sprout from the plains, while the Cascades border sea level, yet they still don't seem as impressive... its weird.
It helps to understand that the Cascade Volcanic Belt is superimposed on top of the Cascade range, not actually part of the mountain building episode that formed the Cascades. The volcanos are a much later (younger) event than the formation of the Cascades.

The Cascade Volcanic Belt is also different than the Columbia Plateau Basalts to the east of the Cascades; also a different event.

And the Rockies, they are after all the Continental Divide so I'm afraid they are higher than the Cascades. But they're older rock still, and formed the fold-and-thrust belt during what's called the laramide event. Then there are the 'ancestral Rockies', the Sangre de Cristo mountains, older still.

(I'm a geologist, 2 degrees in such and one in mining engineering. Logging was one of those bucket-list things after my geology career, just had to show that not all 'eggheads' are useless at hard work. Both have been a lot of fun.)

It helps to understand that the Cascade Volcanic Belt is superimposed on top of the Cascade range, not actually part of the mountain building episode that formed the Cascades. The volcanos are a much later (younger) event than the formation of the Cascades.

The Cascade Volcanic Belt is also different than the Columbia Plateau Basalts to the east of the Cascades; also a different event.

And the Rockies, they are after all the Continental Divide so I'm afraid they are higher than the Cascades. But they're older rock still, and formed the fold-and-thrust belt during what's called the laramide event. Then there are the 'ancestral Rockies', the Sangre de Cristo mountains, older still.

(I'm a geologist, 2 degrees in such and one in mining engineering. Logging was one of those bucket-list things after my geology career, just had to show that not all 'eggheads' are useless at hard work. Both have been a lot of fun.)
i mean yeah, however, the rockies are only marginally taller then the cascades, average being within I think a few hundred feet, granted you are correct Baker, Rainier, Adams, Helens, Glacier do throw the cascades well into the more taller peaks... But the average is still pretty damned close.

Also the Rockies were formed under 2 events as well, something like 200billion years apart, different continental plate issues, as well as volcanic problems, Yellowstone is very much part of the Rockies remember

Anyway, the Rockies are only considered the "continental Divide" simply because they are more or less centered on the continent, and have an impressive length to em, Even the mighty Columbia takes the long way around the Cascades, even with the basalt basin for a foot stool. The Frazer is scared to even come close (probably afraid it will catch something from us yanks... )

i mean yeah, however, the rockies are only marginally taller then the cascades, average being within I think a few hundred feet, granted you are correct Baker, Rainier, Adams, Helens, Glacier do throw the cascades well into the more taller peaks... But the average is still pretty damned close.

Also the Rockies were formed under 2 events as well, something like 200billion years apart, different continental plate issues, as well as volcanic problems, Yellowstone is very much part of the Rockies remember

Anyway, the Rockies are only considered the "continental Divide" simply because they are more or less centered on the continent, and have an impressive length to em, Even the mighty Columbia takes the long way around the Cascades, even with the basalt basin for a foot stool. The Frazer is scared to even come close (probably afraid it will catch something from us yanks... )
Well, I'd say the Rockies are called the Continental Divide because all water west of the dotted line down the axis goes to the Pacific--several rivers going right through the Cascades--and all water east goes to the Atlantic. That's a divide. Interesting how that divide is deflected west by the (later than the Rockies and superimposed on top) San Juan Caldera in SW Colorado.

Yellowstone--east end of a (probable) mantle hotspot track that formed the Snake River Plain volcanics; also superimposed on what was already there like the Cascade volcanic peaks, from Lassen to Meager, are superimposed on the Cascade mountains.

And if Canada cut all Canadian water from the Columbia--it would be pretty dry...eh? (But I have no idea what we'd do with it if we did...)

I think the twist is stronger then the saw... I've tried that and nearly tore the handles off a saw. for simple bends its the go to, twist is a whole nother issue.

That's when you stand or even jump on the bar.
With a good square chain, close enough seems to do the job. Round filed? Forget it.

I find it odd that having lived and gone to elem school in Wyoming, we never learned about this, all sorts of BS about the "indian wars" and the Oregon trail, Jack and S about anything even remotely as cool as this stuff.
(I'm distantly related to G. Custer... and ironically part native, my Ma worked for the tribes here in WA, was married to a Custer, went to some big shindig with a bunch of tribes all showing up, like 100's of folks from various Reservations, well, they had a raffle.... Guess who won, and of course they announce it over the PA, will a M. Cuhhhssssterrr? wtf... gasp etc... only white chick in the room saunters on up)

Back