The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut a bunch of trees with the DNR guys in preparation for a S-212 class later this week. Strong wind blowing across the prairie. Some wedging against that wind. I tire easily beating wedges. Got a chip in my eye. Flushed the chip out with saline, but not before scratching the cornea a bit. It'll be OK in the morning but it's sure irritated now. Yesterday I drilled pines with the 'ologist for a study. Got into a MESS of mosquitoes. Normally I don't whine about bugs but this was BAD. Probably got bit a hundred times in as many seconds. I'm pretty good with an increment borer; I very seldom miss the pith by more than a year or two no matter how big the tree. The trick is to start the bit tangent to the tree, and ignore your tendency to want to be perpendicular to the bark. Bark lies. Tree doesn't.

Sweet post, makes me miss the old growth surveys I did and the big 36" (?) increment borer we used... Used to get some big numbers, sometimes wouldn't even reach the center and we'd have to extrapolate based on the last two inches of core sample. A few in the 1400 yr. ballpark. Got pretty good myself. Dialing in the heights was a tad more work, using clinometers and sometimes a relascope, we'd have to hike a fair piece, dragging tape, to find that spot where both DBH and the top were visible...ahhh the memories! Wilderness CVS...in western Oregon

Yea Madhatte, that was a fun project! I did it privately from 93/94- 96/97.... Was south as far as the border with Cali and east to the cascade crest. Along the coast and north up to the cottage grove/Eugene area. Beautiful country for sure. Felt honored to be on that project, pounded a lot of stakes...got hellied in to one, just so we could finish in one day. The last year I was on it we pounded rebar so future crews could use metal detectors to find our plots. I wonder how that's workin out...:msp_smile:

Well, as I understand it, CVS was the dataset they built FVS from, which is a working standalone model now. I know all original plots have been revisited at least once. I suspect that a third visit was required for validation (two's a line, 3's a trend), so I'm not sure there'll be a big push to remeasure the whole lot a fourth time. Too bad, really -- lots of those plots are in places that nobody will likely ever go again. Pretty much all of the biggest trees I've ever measured were on that project.

Thanks for that info! Great to hear an update. I stopped workin in the woods for a spell after that project. I've been workin for a residential tree service lately though and doin whatever they need from climbing to grinding stumps. First job I've liked since the CVS project. Go figure! Stick me in the trees and I'm happy! Yeah, I think often about the remote places we went and the wild places we saw. Places where possibly no one has ever been or ever will be...at least not many white people. Gives me chills now thinkin about it! I lived out of my truck for like four years doin that, just comin to town to do laundry and buy food. Felt like a stranger among people during that time. I used to hunt down a west or east facing slope at elevation to drive to and car camp...the sunrises and sunsets were my closest friends. Cliffs and creeks always drew me in and I would explore that terrain in my downtime which wasn't very often really. I used to use a stop watch and place it at plot center to help keep me on track. The mental game was important to get it all done and within tolerance. One day my watch went on the fritz and I was about as far away as possible from the rig when it started gettin dark. I blasted out the last point and broke out the map and compass to try to dial in the shortest line back to the rig, it got dark and my headlamp didnt penetrate the fog too good. I almost walked off a huge cliff that night, the hairs on the back of my neck were my only warning...came within a couple feet. Thick brush and rain with a moonless darkness settled all around. Finally got to the rig about 2 AM. Took the next day off and recovered. Had my girlfriend at the time as my partner and she was pretty freaked out and semi hypothermic during that exit...whoops. Started carrying two watches after that one. :redface:

I lived out of my truck for like four years doin that, just comin to town to do laundry and buy food. Felt like a stranger among people during that time.

Yep, that was the life. Collected my mail General Delivery at whatever town was closest to camp.

Funny you should mention hypothermia; one of my colleagues from those days later died in the Siskiyous in a snowstorm. Went back for a tool, against better judgment. Total Jack London scene. White-out rolled in, he stayed put under a tree. Apparently he was unable to get a fire started. Tragic. Hell of a guy.

The humdidity is particularly bad. I felt and probably will again today, like I was back in Up Nort Wisconsin.
This is from the online Oregonian.

June, which has been averagely high and averagely wet to date in Northwest Oregon, is about to get un-averagely hot.

Think steamy--a kind of Midwestern, humid kind of heat, with high dewpoints, which will shoot the heat indices to near 100 starting Friday and extending into next week.

“The higher the dewpoint, the more humid it is,’’ said Andy Bryant, a forecaster for the National Weather Service in Portland. “Our dewpoints are usually pretty low. But when they are high, it’s harder for your body to get rid of heat. It’s going to feel a lot warmer than usual.”

View full sizeNational Weather Service

In other words, you sweat more but the sweat doesn’t evaporate as quickly. People, and pets, tend to wilt.
Bryant said a big dome of high pressure will push heat into the region from Arizona and Utah, where temperatures could push into the 120 range during the next several days. The forecast high in Phoenix today is 119 degrees.

Around here, high temperatures will spike to near 90 Friday through Sunday, before rising into the mid-90s Monday and Tuesday, Bryant said. The heat will again be accompanied by a moist, southerly flow, bringing dewpoints up again into the highly uncomfortable range.

Temperatures will moderate Wednesday into the low to mid-80s, and stay there into the Fourth of July holiday.

Most of the record highs for the next several days are in the high 90s to 100s, so we may not break any records. But it’s going to feel like it.

For relief, Bryant said, head to the coast, where highs will be in the upper 70s, to near 80 degrees. With no fear of dewpoints.

--Stuart Tomlinson

I only fell three trees today:msp_sad: Bent my bar, lost one off in a deep ugly hole, then I decide to go film a middle weight ceder... set the camera all up hit the go button, proceed to make some really nice cuts... tree goes right where I want it all super cool and stuff...

turn the camera off so I can start bucking... Whats that buzzing sound, and where did that arrow shaped black cloud come from...

Turns out I parked it right on top of a hornets nest, no stings on me but its sitting tight untill tomorrow.

That was my sign to call it a day...

Get home go to show off my #####in falling video to the wifey, and its just a picture of a tree...

I only fell three trees today:msp_sad: Bent my bar, lost one off in a deep ugly hole, then I decide to go film a middle weight ceder... set the camera all up hit the go button, proceed to make some really nice cuts... tree goes right where I want it all super cool and stuff...

turn the camera off so I can start bucking... Whats that buzzing sound, and where did that arrow shaped black cloud come from...

Turns out I parked it right on top of a hornets nest, no stings on me but its sitting tight untill tomorrow.

That was my sign to call it a day...

Get home go to show off my #####in falling video to the wifey, and its just a picture of a tree...

ya mean yer saw is on the bees? I left a saw 3 days once, it was in between 2 yellow jacket holes.

ya mean yer saw is on the bees? I left a saw 3 days once, it was in between 2 yellow jacket holes.

No either I parked that tree on a nest or the nest was in the tree... figured it was a short hop and a skip before they went from arrow formation to fighter plane, and chased me into the river...

I'll deal with em tomorrow. MY partner (who is braver/dumber) came out later in the day and got close enough to em to maybe think they could be honeybees, which is awesome if we can save em cause the wifeys hive more or less died over winter. If not there are two cans of raid in the crummy.:msp_ohmy:

Mild summer here so far in NE. Highs in the 80s, lows in upper 50s - low 60s. Easy compared to Texas - Dad called earlier and said it was 108 today. But the folks in the grocery store today sure were harpin' about "the heat and humidity". It wouldn't be so humid if they didn't water all that damn corn. Looks like a giant lawn around here.

Last edited:
Back