The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with you all speaking greek, Latin or what ever.:laugh:. i was thinking someone would catch the obscure reference to "the larch" statement. ;). or am i that old or obscure .:laugh:

It will only matter to the scientists. I don't see it really affecting guys in the field.

It will, eventually, is my worry. Without clear rules for naming things, we won't be able to call a "Douglas-fir" a "Douglas-fir" on sight - we'll have to carry laser gene sequencers or somesuch in the field, which strikes me as stupid.

They're going away from abbreviations like DF to PSME or THPL for Western red cedar.

Those 4-letter abbreviations are called "codons" and have been around awhile. If you already know the Latin for things, codons are easy. They're also a very good reason why killing off Linnaeus might be a bad idea. Codons really earn their pay when typing out plant associations; the overstory/understory relationship is simpler as a series of no more than 16 letters than it is as a page of jargon, but carries the same meaning because you can look it up later.

with you all speaking greek, Latin or what ever.:laugh:. i was thinking someone would catch the obscure reference to "the larch" statement. ;). or am i that old or obscure .:laugh:

I got a 'spicion I'm missing a good yuk here.

Last edited:

naw I get it but yer pic needs to be from farther away and in black and white, and a little blurry, with an english accent... and repeated randomly throughout the chainsaw and off topic threads:biggrin:

[video=youtube;HPeFd5zQm_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HPeFd5zQm_Y#t=0s[/video]

I heard codons have been around a while just now kinda catchin on outside academia. It was pretty easy once i got used to it but my was trying to think in terms of both systems which resulted in a mix of both which drove me insane. I'd look at it and my brain would say something else but when trying to converse with someone to keep them from getting confuddled I had to speak using the codon... argh just jamming up the brain waves... not that there's much to jam up in mine lol

Well if we get to the point the point where we need laser genetic code identifier doohicky things I guess we don't need dendro classes anymore!... might not be too much of a bad thing :msp_rolleyes:

I get the feeling I'm missing something too but a good chicken dinner has me in the relaxed and brain turned off mode lol

I though all you'ze college kids new about THE LARCH If not you should demand a refund on your dorm fees... or buy more beer one of the two

I think I need more beer... I live in an RV trailer... at least I can have beer.... and guns.... and yupp that's it... wait. I do have room for my saw, tools, and a new pair of snow shoes! :D

Last edited:
I think I need more beer... I live in an RV trailer... at least I can have beer.... and guns.... and yupp that's it... wait. I do have room for my saw, tools, and a new pair of snow shoes! :D

I had room for my skis in mine. I lived a couple of years in a 24 foot Kit Companion. The wall by the bed would get frosty in the winter. Brrrrrrr.

I had room for my skis in mine. I lived a couple of years in a 24 foot Kit Companion. The wall by the bed would get frosty in the winter. Brrrrrrr.

The girlfriend found some stuff frozen to the floor in a corner a week or so ago :msp_scared:

Livin in a trailer sounds bad at first but then people see it and are like wow nice place lol

The girlfriend found some stuff frozen to the floor in a corner a week or so ago :msp_scared:

Livin in a trailer sounds bad at first but then people see it and are like wow nice place lol

I beg to differ with you. I lived in a trailer after my 1st wife divorced me, for a while (until my last wife married me :laugh:)
Camping in a camper trailer is ok for a little while. Living in a camper trailer for prolonged periods of time SUX.

Andy

I used to be a professional logger but sold out my equipment and now I'm back to amateur status. Lately I've been researching the market and contemplating getting back in on a small but efficient scale.

Someone on another thread here told me I didn't know anything about logging because my time zone wasn't good enough. It made me feel sad and angry. My inferiority complex isn't even as good as his. I blame my father.... and the color red. That is all

Hwd logging is different from softwood logging.

Watching a tree go down the hill 100' or so off the stump makes one see the sense in directional falling gets one attention as well. Especially if someone is stupid enough to work below you.

I was just part of an interview committie, where one of the applicants said he could tell us the names of species in latin. My coworker relipied "And we ouldn't have any idea what you are talking about." I took dendro on the east coast and learned my west coast species logging so I tend to use the local common names way more.

Back