The Do's and Don'ts of Storing Next Years Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky Man, sorry to hear about the loses in your family.

You and Baconaman hail from the area I grew up. My first job in the forest was for a land owner who lived up Levi White Rd, turned off 26 just before the Dairy Queen at Manning. Caught my first fish in Dorman Pond, but I much preferred to fish the Wilson River.

Love the area, lived in Forest Grove most of that time. Yes, the soil there was awful in some places, much like the Salem W. hills and the hills around Springfield, OR.

My family went to church in Dilly until some nutjobs decided to ruin a good little country church. Thinking of the churches reminds me of all the funerals I've been to in that area over the years, dozens, maybe more. Lots of weddings too, and a few 70th anniversary celebrations.

Forest Grove has become a giant bedroom for Portland. I grew up going to the Gay Ninties parades, now called Ballad Town Days. Everyone knew everyone else and crime was low back then. Before I moved away in the late 90's the meth epidemic was starting to take a toll on the area. Pot farms were popping up and whole areas of town were looking more like a ghetto. Used to go to the corn feed at the dairy farm below Forest Gale Hts, ride the hay wagons and eat BBQ and corn till you were stuffed. All that is row upon row of houses now.

I try to start cutting my wood in January and have it all split and stacked by April. I stack on pallets and cover the tops with old tin. Then it’s ready to burn in mid October

Put down plastic put some gravel on top with a white tarp on top an let set for upteen years . Out grew many wood sheds . Most of what I burn is 10 years old

I was barbecuing in the back yesterday, grandkid in her little pool, daughter and my wife relaxing next to her when a 4" limb from one of those red plum trees cracked off and headed right for the family. Everyone had time to move away from it. I figured out the chances of that happening were one in a bazillion. It was dead calm. Will burn a couple pieces of that with a special glee this winter. Someone had cut into that limb pruning the tree years back. Surprised the wood in the 2" limbs is quite purple.

It was fun reading this incredibly hijacked thread, and continuing that tradition. Agree, Oregon's coast range is the mold growing capital of North America. The OP could have as much as 120" of rain a year if he's where I think he is. No one suggested putting down some sacraficial wood. Of course pallets and tarps were the easy answer.

Good advice here. Only issue about keeping wood in a sunny place means that the OP will have to move. Portland is drizzly and overcast for about 9 months of the year.

. :laugh:

Sun on a wood pile is overrrated. What counts is good air circulation. Sun only works on the top and one end of a piece on top of a pile or only the end if not on top. Air movement works on all the sticks if it can get through.

Back