The Do's and Don'ts of Storing Next Years Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few of the real "good" threads were deleted but if you go back to 2013-2014 there are probably some gems.

Also the time spider "moved" to the F+L forum to troll Slowp after she was trolling everyone in firewood is good for a laugh.

OK, you need to post some links!! Speaking of slowp, it's rather slow around here. We need some good readin'.

Dang again, I pay so little attention to avatars, whenever I think of Casey, I see Sargent Schultz. I never noticed he changed it, when did that happen? Joe.

I don't normally mingle political crap outside of the political forum, so Ill keep this short....

I left it as Shultzie to troll all the folks that cant see past their nose. I originally put it up there BECAUSE folks started calling me a Nazi.

Figured it was time to have an avatar more fitting to the forum, so its a pic of me cutting on a 5' white oak.

I see I was a part of that thread as well. How time flies - nearly as swiftly as my memory.
It does go fast. You and I have been on here a LONG time already!

I kinda miss some of the crusty characters of the old days but at the same point it is nice to be able to post and not have some self righteous arsehole light you up immediately.

As a matter of fact, just came in from leveling out some pallets. I've got enough dry stuff to get me through the winter. If I need more, there are a few spots around here where I can get more, but I can't get my rig very close to the piles which makes it a lot more work. I'll get the fresh stuff on pallets in a couple months. The floor in the barn is gravel - at least a couple of inches. I imagine the wood would suck up moisture on gravel as well so I need to round up some more pallets.

I live on Mt. Hood, I KNOW about the Rain and Humidity you are dealing with, DO NOT put your wood directly on the ground. Pallets work great, metal "T" fence posts work well for your end bulkheads try to stack a little higher than your posts, and tarp. If you can either stack a little in from the pallet edge and tie your tarps so they are pulled away from the wood, would help, or use tent stakes to pull the tarps out even more from the wood is better if you can.

In our areas the important things are keep that wood off the ground, keep it DRY, and allow as MUCH air flow as possible

What part of the Coast Range are you in? We used to live in Forest Grove, and my Wife's Sister lives near Nehalem.

Doug

I live on Mt. Hood, I KNOW about the Rain and Humidity you are dealing with, DO NOT put your wood directly on the ground. Pallets work great, metal "T" fence posts work well for your end bulkheads try to stack a little higher than your posts, and tarp. If you can either stack a little in from the pallet edge and tie your tarps so they are pulled away from the wood, would help, or use tent stakes to pull the tarps out even more from the wood is better if you can.

In our areas the important things are keep that wood off the ground, keep it DRY, and allow as MUCH air flow as possible

What part of the Coast Range are you in? We used to live in Forest Grove, and my Wife's Sister lives near Nehalem.

Doug

North of 26, just before 47 takes a right to Vernonia, we take the road through Buxton for a couple of miles and then 8 miles on a gravel road up to 2000 feet. We're in Washington county but if I throw a rock north I can hit Columbia county. The west border is about 8 miles as the crow flies. We're surrounded by Weyerhaeuser, (formerly Longview Fibre). I guess you could say we are the the Northeast corner of the Oregon portion of the Coast Range.

[QUOTE="What part of the Coast Range are you in? We used to live in Forest Grove, and my Wife's Sister lives near Nehalem.

Doug[/QUOTE]

If you google Bacona Oregon, and switch to satellite view and zoom in, you will see our place. There was a post office in the house in the late 1800's and early 1900's which is why I believe we are still on the map even though the township was more or less dissolved in the '70s. The Tillamook burn fires in the 30's really took out the town but it lingered on until the 70's. If you look east from the northeast corner of the house you will see a light area, that is a poorly maintained ornamental fish pond sitting area. Continue east about the same distance and you can see a dark rectangular shaped structure - that is our OWB - outdoor wood boiler (non-pressurized) that heats water that is pumped to the house and the cottage to the southeast. In the house there is a forced air oil furnace that now also has a heat exchanger in the plenum where the hot water runs through. There is also a heat exchanger at the hot water heater where a little pump circulates water from the tank into the heat exchanger and back in to the tank. The cottage - a glorified shed - is the "home school room" and has a heat exchanger that hangs from the ceiling in one corner. It looks like a small industrial gas heater that you might see hanging in a shop but no combustion, just hot water running through it constantly and when there is a call for heat a fan kicks on. Its like having a car heater heating your house but wood is providing the heat energy instead of a combustion engine. It would be more efficient if it was radiant heat, but that's hard to do in a house that was first built in 1890 something. If/when we build a garage/shop, pole or stick build, we will definitely put radiant pipe in the pad and run water there as well.

I Have a basic idea of where you are, I Hope that your soil has better drainage than where we lived in Forest Grove. We had so much clay in the soil that the lawn was a bog most of the year, it would take weeks for the yard to dry out after much rain. In July and August instead of a bog, the soil would harden to near concrete hardness.

For long term storage putting a pad of cheap concrete squares under your pallets really helps keep the moisture down, they act as a barrier, but will drain if water does get on them.

I really liked Forest Grove, it is a Nice area, but we really like our house on Mt. Hood.

We were just in Forest Grove, yesterday my Father in Law passed away on Monday, and his viewing was Yesterday, and the Graveside service will be Monday.

We have been doing that too much lately, my FIL's Brother passed away about 2 weeks ago, and the Sister in Law in Nehalem lost her Husband the last day of September, it has been a rough couple of months for my Wife's Family. I Didn't really know her Uncle, but I was Very close to both her Father and Brother in Law.

We fished and crabbed a lot with Bonnie and Woody, we were still trying to accept losing Woody, when her Father's health started deteriorating. You often hear people complain about their In Laws, but I was/still am Very Lucky with mine, my Father in Law was one of the Finest Men I ever knew, he was not a Tall man, but was looked up to by many.

Doug

Back