The end all Vanguard chain thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Seems alot of saws come equipped with this chain now. In some of the farm stores around here it is all you can buy for replacement. I don't want to throw them away, as I want to get as much life out of them as I can before trashing. They do seem to cut acceptably for me when new. Any insights as to what works with those rakers once several sharpenings have gone by? There is a line on them, but have no idea what that means. Thanks all.

There is a line on the cutter, thats your file angle. Don't remember a line on the raker. I kinda like the 72V when cutting dirty wood. Yeah, go ahead and say, SC has lost his mind. Nope, ain't bad chain, holds an edge like other Oregon chain, sides that when you get over 100 feet for free, I ain't gonna whine.

:rock:

There is a line on the cutter, thats your file angle. Don't remember a line on the raker. I kinda like the 72V when cutting dirty wood. Yeah, go ahead and say, SC has lost his mind. Nope, ain't bad chain, holds an edge like other Oregon chain, sides that when you get over 100 feet for free, I ain't gonna whine.

:rock:

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. There is though, a line on top of the rakers. Just wondered if anyone could elaborate.

It is chisel chain, and cut well in regular cross-cutting, as long as you figure out how to handle the odd rakers - from what I have read. They aren't here, so I never actually tried it. ;)

Here you go, Oregon spent alot of time and money on this chain I would imagine, so why not go to the source to learn about it.

http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/chain/72VFB-90.pdf

Lots of good info on the Oregon website if you take the time to look there.

Like has been said, its not that bad of chain if you can get past the looks of the rakers. I myself find it easiest to set the raker heights on my grinder but if you learn how to use the witness marks on the rakers it makes it easier to learn how to file them.

This maintence manual is a good read also.

http://www.oregonchain.com/maintenance/manual.htm

Last edited:
Are there any .325 pitch Vanguard chains? I sharpened some for a guy and would like to try them on my 290 but I'm not switching to 3/8th.

Ted

(Go to the back cover or type in pg. 124)

Check out this "Vanguard" I mean "rendered drawing":taped:

STIHL Online Catalog

Last edited:
seems alot of saws come equipped with this chain now. In some of the farm stores around here it is all you can buy for replacement. I don't want to throw them away, as i want to get as much life out of them as i can before trashing. They do seem to cut acceptably for me when new. Any insights as to what works with those rakers once several sharpenings have gone by? There is a line on them, but have no idea what that means. Thanks all.
jimm, just me i dont care for the chains. I am talking about after several grindings.i thought i had hit a rock or run into dirt. I had 2 dog it 2 make cut.i guess it has a place there is not kickback problem for sure, have to make cut first.i may b doing something wrong switch to stihl rapid super chain,thats cutting wood,thanks i hope i helped an not offended,thanks johnfawn

Latest posts

Back