The end of a 7 day Cotton Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraneOp1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just finished this big one here in Toledo, OH. Wish I had the before pic.s, but got a new camera in time for the end. Will post other pic.s if the home owner gets them to me. This tree was over 100' tall and spread out over 5 differant yards. The whole thing was taken down with a 15 ton boom truck, 68' main, 23' jib. Mosts picks were made @75*-80* nothing less than 60*. This was probably one of the tightest jobs I've ever worked. Now for the the pic.s-

1st pic not so good 48' trunk.
2nd pic a little better
3rd pic CraneOp1 aka Jeff Rice holding tape
4th pic tape not very good shows 19' 10" or 238" largest tree anyone with the crew has ever taken down
5th pic Danny Millwood & yes thats his real name 1 of our other Cane Op.s

More pic.s

1st taken from seat of loader
2nd getting ready to take last of the small wood
3rd Wan in the bucket
4th 1st pick of trunk wood ready to be cut
5th Wan making 1st cut w/088

More pic.s

1st pic top of trunk w/big Joe & Danny standing next to it, wood on cane bed last of wood & 2nd & 3rd pieces all 8 footers
2nd CraneOp1 hanging from an other crane ball w/088
3rd same as 2nd
4th last 2 pieces on Danny's crane
5th all the trunk safe back @ the shop CraneOp1's 2nd from rt other 2 are both 17 ton Wan's between Printice and mine, Danny's far rt.

Just wondered what you charged for that job? What are you going to do with those big pieces? Would be a big job to get the pieces down to a useable size.

Not sure if they would want me to give the exact figure on this one, however I know the high bid was 12,000 and the low bid was 4,000 we were somewhere in between. To quote the man who sold this job "We didn't make any money one this one but we didn't lose any either, and we kept you guys busy for a few days."

The wood will get set off on our wood lot, we have a couple guys who come in a get some of the big stuff for chainsaw carving. Or the wood cutters will hack it up for fire wood. Wood cutters a people who come in and cut wood on our lot. We save the good stuff for fire wood for sale or lumber.

Nice job, nice equipment. Would love to see top pics of picks if you get them. Had to be approx. 7' dbh if 20' circum.? Hope you got $ you deserved for that one! I know it was winter money though.

Just curious why you did bot double rig this so that it would come off straighter?

attachment.php

Pretty much our SOP for large pieces. Takes to long to try to A-frame and after you pick it and set it down, it's still up right then you have to re-choke to get it on it's side. Which can be pretty dicey. When we make these large picks we do as much booming up as we can and cable up/down as needed to ease it over on it's side. We had 3 operators + 1 supervisor who also is an operator we used our collective minds for this one. All went well. The pieces on the loader had to be loaded on one our other cranes, and moved back out on to the street and lifted into the back. Then the crane had to be put back in to load the last 2 pieces.

It doesn t seem, with all that equipment and crane picking top and stem, bucket involved, and all the manpower, it would take 7 days. Did you use 2nd crane that was on one picture for climber when out of reach of picker?

big cottonwood for the area. Thanks for the pics. I'm sure there a few here that would like to have some of the smaller sections for making cants to test their play saws on...

ya know, I opened this thread and looked at the first pic and said WOAH, I know that crane truck, seen them up close a few times and I drive by every day or two on Keschweitter/Geiser

here are some pics fom in front of my place when you guys took down the two cottonwoods, the one was pretty big around 48"+DBH!! a guy I know whos name excapes me is doing the cutting, the zoom pic is from the same distance as the first pic, 170MM on a digital SLR [for those that care] yes the pics are huge but I didnt feel like resizing them, get broadband!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
r u high? pay crane when you have room to let it fly? pretty large but in an open area=easy yes i am a prick

Nice job CraneOp! Great pics. Be nice to see the crown though. I was involved in a couple that size class many years ago, would've been nice to have your cranes on 'em. One was a backyard with no access, city neighborhood in property corner shared by four people. None could afford the job so city put out to contract and recoup costs over several years through their tax billing. This tree over-spread at least six residences, just nasty. The other one I was working for a small company and the owner low bid it, didn't want to "squander" money for a crane.:bang: :bang: It was completely dead too, just to add a little hazard to the job.

It still baffles me that people let these Poplars get so big next their house. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that monster is over my head. A nice Oak or Maple is one thing but not one of them "Populars"........:chainsaw:

r u high? pay crane when you have room to let it fly? pretty large but in an open area=easy yes i am a prick

Funny, that was the first thing i thought when i saw Mr.'s pictures. Excellent drop zone on both sides. And why is it being climbed-a bucket can be driven right up to it?

Nice job and pictures craneop-those big ones are tons of fun!!

Latest posts

Back