The end of a 7 day Cotton Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pic.s post by Mr. Firewood

These two trees were on the city r.o.w. on a Blvd. if you look close there are at least 2 new trees planted there, so these could not be dropped. Also all of our buckets (4) were busy on other city & pvt. work. The climber shown in these pic.s is probably one of the best crane removal climbers you would ever to care to work with. His name is Steve Floro, he can get more done by climbing than most guys can in a bucket. Also when you have a big chipper like the one in one of the pic.s you just set the but end down right into it and let it go. These were from last summer, also just a 3 man crew, crane, chipper & truck and our Printice loader.

why?

just curious why that poplar was cut down...i read all of the thread and i don't think i saw the reason anywhere.

Reply to treevet & JPS

2nd crane was brought in for the last day only, 1st thing on Friday was bring in the loader to clear the ground and back of my crane for the trunk. We after that we brought in the bucket to make most of the cuts. Put 1st, 3rd & 4th pieces on my crane, 2nd went on ground behind and off to the side of me.
5th cut was made all the way through and kept open with wedges while 6th was started but not complete. We then moved the bucket out and put the
2nd crane in to receive the 2nd & 5th pieces, then moved back out to street to put those pieces of wood into loader. Then back into drive to take the wood from 1st crane after they got cut free. Passing back the last 2 pieces was a job in it's self. The 1st 6 days was spent removing brush and limb wood only had a 12 x 25 - 12 x 12 area to set brush in depending on my cranes position.

JPS-concrete ribbon drive, did add a few cracks, put down lots of plywood. There is 2 kinds of concrete, cracked & concrete not cracked yet.:D

Winchman

Home owner wanted it out, due to tree roots heaving garage foundation as well as all the mess. Home owner would like to also build a new garage. In removing some of the large limb wood we found signs of carpenter ant infestation. Probably a good thing to have taken it down before it wiped something.

JPS-concrete ribbon drive, did add a few cracks, put down lots of plywood. There is 2 kinds of concrete, cracked & concrete not cracked yet.:D

I was comenting on the question on why not to bomb it out. Coulda been rigged but....

I think the element that they miss is that you guys own and operate the cranes so the cost is much lower then renting one from a crane company like the rest of us do.

Also when you have a big chipper like the one in one of the pic.s you just set the but end down

And if it does not sit right the prentice can shift it into the chipper.

What size dump boxes do you use? with big wood like that you expand your volume vs reducing as with brush.

1st taken from seat of loader
2nd getting ready to take last of the small wood
3rd Wan in the bucket
4th 1st pick of trunk wood ready to be cut
5th Wan making 1st cut w/088
Drop starting that 88 out of the bucket and you didn t notice the comp release already activated and the handle decides to go back in is a memorable experience. I like to have some honkers on my crane to pin it to the ground when doing some marginal picks. CraneOp1 you sound like a huge asset to your company bcs you re so enthusiastic and positive to start with. Must have been a fun job w all the comraderie. For some reason I ve talked myself into thinking it is bad luck to take pictures during tough job like this one (garage rem, not street one). I m glad you guys don t feel that way.

absolutely amazing! kinda curious where in toledo this was. im originally from the area. bet that was no picnic dealing with all the property owners and powerlines.

Nice job and sweet equipment!

"The 1st 6 days was spent removing brush and limb wood only had a 12 x 25 - 12 x 12 area to set brush in depending on my cranes position"

I dont understand why it would take 6 days to rig the limbs, especially with a crane and bucket, but I guess you had to be there to understand the complexity of the tree/job.

John464

Could not use bucket or 2nd crane until all the brush was out due small LZ also 90-95% of all the brush was taken with the jib on, with a climber in the tree and raising and lowering someone else to hook up the chocker. We use a travailing chocker system, that is were the chocker is attached to main load cable with a screw pin shackle, so we can raise the ball up and down, for this type of operation.

I certainly do not want to criticize because you guys did a nice job......but have you guys ever thought about renting a bigger crane when you encounter huge tree's, seven days is allot of man hours to spend on one tree when your bringing in less then 12k; I mean god thats less then 2k a day for a crane crew. When we get a monster we rent an 80 ton crane and get the job done in a day rather then waist time trying to do the job with our 40 ton crane. I'm sure with an 80 ton crane you guys could have wrapped that job up in a day, and only had to pay out 2k for the rental. Otherwise Great job..... just an observation.

diltree & lawson

Tim we could barley get the 15 ton into it, our 17 wouldnt make the turn. As for the stump will be sometime this week will let you know how long. Here are some pic.s of it. Tim found pic of drive, about 10' between house and fence, and just enough room to make the turn past the house without hitting it or the garage. Drive pic last one on this post.

Not sure if they would want me to give the exact figure on this one, however I know the high bid was 12,000 and the low bid was 4,000 we were somewhere in between. To quote the man who sold this job "We didn't make any money one this one but we didn't lose any either, and we kept you guys busy for a few days."

The wood will get set off on our wood lot, we have a couple guys who come in a get some of the big stuff for chainsaw carving. Or the wood cutters will hack it up for fire wood. Wood cutters a people who come in and cut wood on our lot. We save the good stuff for fire wood for sale or lumber.

Hey Crane, nice job on a monster tree!

That bark is also great for carving! Cotton wood has to be 4'-5' in diameter before the bark is thick enough to carve.

Hi, the Hopi could sure use the roots from that!!!......

Hi, true katsina religious figures are done by hopi carvers, they use cottonwood roots. Any chance of getting soem torso ro bigger sized chunks out of that rootwad?

If the difference in species doesnt matter, i am ALMOST sure one of the carvers would pay for it.

A thigh sized piece is a failry rare item, as the Dine and others now do katchina copies, and have gratly increased eemand for the roots.

I am curious if the roots are still available?

Could you plese let me know? Thaks Dave.
ps-I will try to contact a hopi carver to ask him directly.

WOW!!!!
That is one heck of a job. You guys did really good on that one.
I can see the time frame to take that monster down. The crown on that thing must have been huge. Toss in the small space, fences, power lines.....what a job.
The neighbood will definately be a "cleaner" place come springtime. That thing must have produced enough seeds to fill the chip truck. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for posting that!!!

Ed

cottonwood

yes that was a big tree i was in it for 2 days and it was a real good time getting to swing around in it and help take it down it was a:givebeer: blast one of the biggest cottonwoods i have ever took part in cutting down it was a good time working with the team i slept good at night that was for sure

Latest posts

Back