The Forbidden Hack Question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquirrelMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
took down 25 small trees today (all less than 6 in) and 2 medium.. Of course i had only a 250 and a 290.. the 250 goes down like a hour in :dizzy: and Im using a 6 in chipper on top of it all so every crotch has to be cut to fit through the chipper. All in all I would say atleast a extra hour and a half was wasted due to working only one saw. I am pretty broke at the moment but see Poulans on craigslist for around $75. I figured they must be of some use right? If a do the hack move and buy a wildthing.. how long will it last? lol Perhaps it should be its own thread but whats the best used saw for under a $100 (I feel like such a dirty hack for asking)

No reason to feel like a dirty hack. Why did the 250 go down? Maybe it is something simple like a bad fuel line. It's hard to find something worth spending money on for under a hundred bucks. There is a ms260 on the first page of the classified for $250 and a poulan 3400 on page 2 or 3. You would be much better off with a used quality saw than a wildthing or some other kind of newer junk. You can't make money with something that is just going to crap out on you again. Good luck!

Economy has got everybody down right now don't worry about it and do what you have to do to in order to pay your bills.

We keep a couple Poulans on the chipper to use on the ground. Usually have a couple spares on the bucket truck, cheaper by the dozen. We cannibalize them for parts so get a couple cheep and keep for spare for parts. Doesn't hurt near as bad to crush a a $50 saw as a $700.00 one, much easier on the help that way. Guaranteed you will get one some day!

We keep a couple Poulans on the chipper to use on the ground. Usually have a couple spares on the bucket truck, cheaper by the dozen. We cannibalize them for parts so get a couple cheep and keep for spare for parts. Doesn't hurt near as bad to crush a a $50 saw as a $700.00 one, much easier on the help that way. Guaranteed you will get one some day!

lol yeah I think thats what I am going to have to do. The 250 would not hold a chain, got someone else to look at it and its just a problem with the bar. He said I should try filing down that bar with a flat file and see if it helps, it kept popping in a cut and the chain would come off, weird because it didnt pinch or anything. Just decided to pop off randomly and then would not stay on for nothing and there is no stihl shop even remotely close to where I was working today. I think I need a few spare bar and chains (but I already knew that, was just being a cheap-o) and to buy a cheap saw or two to back up and use at the chipper.

lol yeah I think thats what I am going to have to do. The 250 would not hold a chain, got someone else to look at it and its just a problem with the bar. He said I should try filing down that bar with a flat file and see if it helps, it kept popping in a cut and the chain would come off, weird because it didnt pinch or anything. Just decided to pop off randomly and then would not stay on for nothing and there is no stihl shop even remotely close to where I was working today. I think I need a few spare bar and chains (but I already knew that, was just being a cheap-o) and to buy a cheap saw or two to back up and use at the chipper.
Sounds like you have a burr on or in the bar. Drag a pick through the groove and a straight edge across the edges. You'll find it eventually.

im a noob but I estimate $75 a man hour and count the climber as two men for trimming (im the climber and I get tired spikeless quick lol) My estimate tend to be under alot too but i try to hit $1000 with two helpers and a rented chipper at minimum. You should be at 2k minimum a day with all your equipment

I'm havin a bit of trouble trying to figure out the economics of what you said in the quopte above, with what you posted in this one. Something doesn't jive with your business model. You can't afford to buy a decent saw with the rates you are quoting?

took down 25 small trees today (all less than 6 in) and 2 medium.. Of course i had only a 250 and a 290.. the 250 goes down like a hour in :dizzy: and Im using a 6 in chipper on top of it all so every crotch has to be cut to fit through the chipper. All in all I would say atleast a extra hour and a half was wasted due to working only one saw. I am pretty broke at the moment but see Poulans on craigslist for around $75. I figured they must be of some use right? If a do the hack move and buy a wildthing.. how long will it last? lol Perhaps it should be its own thread but whats the best used saw for under a $100 (I feel like such a dirty hack for asking)

If worse comes to worse, just go buy a new bar. Why have multiple saws that dont work!

I'm havin a bit of trouble trying to figure out the economics of what you said in the quopte above, with what you posted in this one. Something doesn't jive with your business model. You can't afford to buy a decent saw with the rates you are quoting?

Yup .... Nuff said :msp_sneaky:

First saw I ever bought was also one of the best purchases I ever made. An 028 Wood Boss.
It was my climbing, felling, limbing go - to saw. That saw made me thousands of $$$ over it's 8 or 9 year lifespan.
Back then (in the Dark Ages) to pay the bills and stave off the goblins, I needed to make at least $100/wk more than I was getting paid at a non-tree work fulltime job. That 028 got me going and kept us afloat.
Buying junk tools doesn't make sense when you need to make a living with them.

First saw I ever bought was also one of the best purchases I ever made. An 028 Wood Boss.
It was my climbing, felling, limbing go - to saw. That saw made me thousands of $$$ over it's 8 or 9 year lifespan.
Back then (in the Dark Ages) to pay the bills and stave off the goblins, I needed to make at least $100/wk more than I was getting paid at a non-tree work fulltime job. That 028 got me going and kept us afloat.
Buying junk tools doesn't make sense when you need to make a living with them.

yep... i got an 028WB that i still use sometimes... i love that saw... its mean and nasty... has never failed.. ####!..i hope i didnt just jinx myself....

Spend the money on getting the 250 fixed and then look to getting a pro saw and the the 250 and the 029 will be back ups.

I would feel real leery going to a dentist that uses a Dremel tool and an old barbershop chair cause he can't afford the real stuff. Google and watch "The Dentist of Jaipur" !!!!

I said I estimate... doesnt always work out lol. I just went into business, have spent 1k on climbing gear alone, bought a truck and got the saws... I dont have alot of work but I have alot of bills... Never said I was flat broke, Could go buy a 362 brand new right now but since I work for myself and winter is knocking at the door, what if the money isnt there when I need it say early january?

I love the confrontation types here on AS... they should get their own AS thread with a extra "S" on it. :popcorn:

I love the confrontation types here on AS... they should get their own AS thread with a extra "S" on it. :popcorn:

Hey, you asked for advice. You got advice. Just because you don't like the advice is no reason to start whining.

If you don't like the advice, don't take it...simple as that. But if I were you I think I'd listen to these guys.

If you're inexperienced enough that you can't diagnose simple saw problems I think you can get some help here. If you'll take it.

Last edited:

No one here approves and, obviously, you don't either .

Hey, you asked for advice. You got advice. Just because you don't like the advice is no reason to start whining.

If you don't like the advice, don't take it...simple as that. But if I were you I think I'd listen to these guys.

If you're inexperienced enough that you can't diagnose simple saw problems I think you can get some help here. If you'll take it.

The person I was refencing in that statement did not offer me advice, he said "I'm havin a bit of trouble trying to figure out the economics of what you said in the quopte above, with what you posted in this one. Something doesn't jive with your business model. You can't afford to buy a decent saw with the rates you are quoting? "
I am great appreciative of everyone who had something constructive to tell me. I am going to file the bar for burs and see if I can get it to hold a chain, pick up a back up bar and chain and to top it off I am going to shop for a cheap back up / helper saw at the chipper.
I stand by my comment in regards to the confrontational types here on AS. There is really no reason to be like that.

I would feel real leery going to a dentist that uses a Dremel tool and an old barbershop chair cause he can't afford the real stuff. Google and watch "The Dentist of Jaipur" !!!!

I think that is quite a fallacious argument. Using a off brand of the appropriate tool is quite different from using a completely different and inappropriate tool all together.

No one here approves and, obviously, you don't either .

LOL i can see from reading other threads that the poulan and their users are bashed quite a bit. Just wanted to see if anyone else uses them for simplistic tasks such cutting crotches for the chipper or bunching down brush on a trailer. If i can find one at $75 and it keeps me from missing one hour of down time then it pays for it self doesnt it?

Back