The Go-A-Head

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night, around midnight, that “smell” woke me up… ya’ know, that musty-metallic smell when the gas furnace starts up after sitting unused for a spell. That told me the house temp had dropped below 63[sup]o[/sup]. I was bone tired last night and had turned in around 8:00 PM after loading the “stovace”. Normally, when I turn in that early, the wife will toss a couple more splits in before she calls it a day… but… So I go down stairs, stir-up the 6-8 inches of coals to get them heating again, and shoved what wood I could fit in the firebox.

It takes near forever to get the house back up to temp with that thing, so I knew it wouldn’t be extra warm in the house when I got up at 5:00 AM… and it wasn’t, only 64[sup]o[/sup]. When I got down stairs the blower wasn’t even running and I could lay my hand on the stack. So I stir-up the 6 or so inches of coals and rake them forward to get them heating again… elected not to add wood and try and burn down the coal bed a little. Took about 10 minutes for the blower to kick in, and I kept going down to stir the coals every 15 minutes or so… by 7:30, some 2½ hours later, I’d managed to get most of the coals burned down and the house temp up just one degree (65[sup]o[/sup]). Then separated what ash I could from the coals, cleaned them out, filled up the box, took my morning shower, then checked the fire before heading up to dress for work.

The wife meets me at the top of the steps, wrapped in a blanket… “That stove sucks! I’m tired of ####ing-around with it every day and it never has been as warm in here since you got it. I want you to either put the old one back in, or buy a new one that works right, or I’m turning up the furnace… and I really don’t care which it is as long as it’s something.” Then she turned and walked back into the bedroom.

Believe-it-or-not, I couldn’t be happier… I’ve been waiting for just the right opportunity to inform her I was gonna’ spend some money on a new wood-fired furnace. I figured she’d throw a fit because I just installed this “stovace” last spring… figured I’d probably get the silent treatment for a week or so after I bought it. But nope, she just gave me the green-light-go-a-head... and I didn’t even have to bring it up. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm smiling! I had a beater pickup, and that is putting it kindly, with a plow and lift gate. I'm at work, she is home, had a snow day. She puts the kids down for a nap and goes out to warm the truck up to plow the drive. But she can't get out of the truck. The drivers door only opened from outside so you had to role the window down and reach out. But, the window crank was gone and I took the vise grip off the window stem because I needed it for something. The passenger door was held shut with an old junk come-a-long with a folded over handle, hooked behind the seat. :) She thought about going to the neighbors and honking the horn till someone came out. She looked through the holes in the floor boards. Big, but no where big enough. Then started messing with the come-a-long and got it to release. When I got home I plowed the drive and she fixed diner. Half way through diner she says out of the blue, 'Maybe it's time for another truck.' I was dumb founded, until she later told me how her day went.

Whitespider,

LOL sometimes cold can be a great motivation.
You better get a real good stove now to keep your wife happy :)

There may be further discussion at Spidey's place about who said what to whom, when it was said, what the topic was and how and where money will be spent. Woman's prerogative.

About time.........you know there is other ways to keep your wife warm with wood:blob2:!!!!

time to move while the stove is still hot......er well you know what i mean. before she can change her mind, ya got one picked out yet?

What furnace/stove are you going to buy?

Well, I like simplicity (and yeah, I'm also cheap)... I don't want (or need) any electronics, automatic bi-metallic damper controls, and whatnot. A 100% manual control is what I'm all about... positive control that won't/can't malfunction. Not interested in forced air draft in any shape or form, natural draft works for me. I want the fire burning on some sort of grate system with air entering under it. I want a large, easy to use ash pan/removal system. And (I know it's hard to believe) I've sort'a gotten used to the glass door thing... not because I sit in the basement watching the fire, rather because it's so darn handy to check the fire.

So far the only thing I've found offering just what I want, and nothing more, is the Englander 28-3500.
I can buy a Daka for about $200.oo less... but it has a solid steel door and bi-metallic draft/damper control. The problem I have with bi-metallic damper controls (or any auto control) is the possibility of failure to close, whether due to the bi-metallic spring or just plain a stuck door. Other "auto" controls rely electricity... I'm not interested.

Anyway, I'm not buying today... the plan is to have it installed by next heating season (but I probably should get it bought while the irritation is fresh in the wife's mind), so I'll keep looking around a bit.

Whitespider,

My advice is get that stove installed ASAP.
Next year is next year and the iron is hot so to speak.

You will be a hero now for getting her the best stove that will keep her nice and warm.
Next year you might be a cad, heck tomorrow once she warms up you might be. :)

If it was my wife i would already have the install guys set to come in and an install date in writing. LOL

Last edited:
Make sure you check out the ash pan and grate system on the Daka Im using it in a 100 year old 2 story farm house works great. Recently just hooked up the cold air return of propain furnace to the furnace totaly different furnace. I was actually looking into "upgrading" to a epa furnace, no way, drawing the air from the conditioned air in the house instead of the 50 degree basement or mayby colder at times made a huge difference. Love the "set it and forget it" bi metal damper. This will be my fourth year when its cold for down here any way last week I use about a tailgate of wood every 3-4 days. Dont know if thats good or bad.

That englander looks nice. Hope you can find a deal like I did.

I bought a Clayton 1600, 4 pieces of double wall stainless chimney pipe, rain boot and cap off of a guy this summer for $900. He said that he only burned it for one winter and couldn't get his 1000sq house over 60 with it. He didn't have a clue on how to hook it up. The stove and unisulated duct work were in his uninsulated garage and had about a 40' run to get to the house with no return line. He didn't know why it wouldn't heat the house. You could see all the way through the joints in the duct work. lol I have to do some cleaning on it because he took the smoke curtain out of it because he kept burning his arm on it, so the front is all black. It should heat my house with no problems, I haven't in stalled it yet so I don't know how it will do. I have been saving up the cash for a new gas furnace, central air, and the new duct work that will need to be installed. I hope to have it installed so I can have a fire in it this winter yet.

I thought for sure, you had a new stove hidden in the shed, covered with a tarp, ready to go......:msp_biggrin:

Last night, around midnight, that “smell” woke me up… ya’ know, that musty-metallic smell when the gas furnace starts up after sitting unused for a spell. That told me the house temp had dropped below 63[sup]o[/sup]. I was bone tired last night and had turned in around 8:00 PM after loading the “stovace”. Normally, when I turn in that early, the wife will toss a couple more splits in before she calls it a day… but… So I go down stairs, stir-up the 6-8 inches of coals to get them heating again, and shoved what wood I could fit in the firebox.

It takes near forever to get the house back up to temp with that thing, so I knew it wouldn’t be extra warm in the house when I got up at 5:00 AM… and it wasn’t, only 64[sup]o[/sup]. When I got down stairs the blower wasn’t even running and I could lay my hand on the stack. So I stir-up the 6 or so inches of coals and rake them forward to get them heating again… elected not to add wood and try and burn down the coal bed a little. Took about 10 minutes for the blower to kick in, and I kept going down to stir the coals every 15 minutes or so… by 7:30, some 2½ hours later, I’d managed to get most of the coals burned down and the house temp up just one degree (65[sup]o[/sup]). Then separated what ash I could from the coals, cleaned them out, filled up the box, took my morning shower, then checked the fire before heading up to dress for work.

The wife meets me at the top of the steps, wrapped in a blanket… “That stove sucks! I’m tired of ####ing-around with it every day and it never has been as warm in here since you got it. I want you to either put the old one back in, or buy a new one that works right, or I’m turning up the furnace… and I really don’t care which it is as long as it’s something.” Then she turned and walked back into the bedroom.

Believe-it-or-not, I couldn’t be happier… I’ve been waiting for just the right opportunity to inform her I was gonna’ spend some money on a new wood-fired furnace. I figured she’d throw a fit because I just installed this “stovace” last spring… figured I’d probably get the silent treatment for a week or so after I bought it. But nope, she just gave me the green-light-go-a-head... and I didn’t even have to bring it up. :hmm3grin2orange:

===

Don't ya luv it when a plan comes together.....:blob2::blob2:

I'll bet good money that brand new is out... Unless its new old stock something. The Daka is probably in the running.

I'll bet good money that brand new is out... Unless its new old stock something.
You'd stand a good chance of losing that bet... not a 100% chance, but a darn good chance...
I'm looking at a new Englander, $1199 a Home Depot...
The new Daka 521B is $949 at Menards...

I have a Daka model 622FBT Bought it new, used it one winter if you're interested.
The 622 has forced air draft, correct?
So tell me more... Why only used one year? Problems?

The 622 has forced air draft, correct?
So tell me more... Why only used one year? Problems?

Yep forced draft but I'm sure it could be modified to be used as a manual draft.
When I bought my place in 2009 it had an old woodland stove in the basement that was surrounded by a shroud and tied into the ductwork. Figured a new furnace would be a good idea since I was planning to heat 100% with wood and the ol woodland had seen better days. The previous owner left me a good supply of split firewood so I was good to go there. Decided to go with the daka since menards sells them and they are close by. Also wanted the bigger 622 so I special ordered it and $2000 later I had a new furnace. Got it installed and it worked fairly well for me until the real cold weather hit, combine that with 30-40 mph wind and it just would't hacking it. It got to be frustrating waking up to a cold house and having to use the electric furnace to help out when it got in the single digits or below. So I started to do some research and came across this site. At that time crappie Keith was on here always talking up the yukons. Looked up the specs on the super jack and decided I could make it work in my vertically challenged basement. So I called up crappie and he ended up talking me into one. Installed that in February of the same year. The SJ does throw a fair amount more heat and I am satisfied with it for the most part. But the real issue was my heat load was huge! 2400 sq. Ft. house plus basement built in 1868, single pane windows and lots of leaks.

Back