The Kart Engine Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what to say Ron without seeing it.
But if you move the rod to one side and i binds,
Something ain't right. I would really inspect the crank
and polish the journal with extra fine emery paper as
well as the rod bearing surface. Just make sure you
use FINE paper.

Lee

Is that one supposed to have thrust washers in the piston end to keep the rod from moving "side to side"?

Mark

Mark, none shown on the IPL. I think I'll have a machinist look at the crank and let me know what he thinks. If okay, I'll have him press on the bearings.

Anyone know the proper diameter for the journel?

Thanks, Ron

I had the same problem on my Super 250 when I was putting it together. About an 1/8th of a turn past BDC and it would bind with the big end of the rod going to one side of the crank. Push it back to center and it would go freely. With the case cover off it would go full rotation smoothly. Never really figured out what was causing it. Figured it had something to do with the bearings and how they were pressed in, because it would be smooth until I got the bolts on the case cover tightened down. I could loosen the case cover bolts a little and it would lessen the binding as well. After taking it apart and putting back together again many times eventually stopped, and so far I have not had any problems. If I did anything that had any effect on it was tapping the crank on either side.

I had the same problem on my Super 250 when I was putting it together. About an 1/8th of a turn past BDC and it would bind with the big end of the rod going to one side of the crank. Push it back to center and it would go freely. With the case cover off it would go full rotation smoothly. Never really figured out what was causing it. Figured it had something to do with the bearings and how they were pressed in, because it would be smooth until I got the bolts on the case cover tightened down. I could loosen the case cover bolts a little and it would lessen the binding as well. After taking it apart and putting back together again many times eventually stopped, and so far I have not had any problems. If I did anything that had any effect on it was tapping the crank on either side.

Sounds very familiar. Thanks. We will see how it does with all new bearings. Ron

McCulloch 5 deg. flywheels. Here's the difference.

0 Deg.
attachment.php

5 Deg.
attachment.php

That's it. I won't pretend to know anything about electrcal stuff or how these systems work, but it is counterintuitive to me that a 5 deg. advance flywheel would have 1 distinguishing characteristic located 5 deg. retarded from a supposed 0 deg. flywheel... Other than the 5 stamping, there's no other differences.

Here, too?!?!

Looks like you're full of red paint, but have some more.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like he's everywhere.

Last edited:
No, higher RPM doesn't translate necessarily into higher HP automatically. I actually prefer in many cases, the saw blocks, especially in larger displacement. My latest project involves cutting the heads off of three SP-125 blocks, having them bored out .050" over and chromed, and then fitting custom heads to them. Two will get all-new manufactured heads while the third will get a custom WB-820 head that has larger cooling fins.

Another of my kooky ideas involves a Homelite 990 saw chassis, an Mc-7 crank, an Mc-90 .010" over domed piston (thin rings), an Mc-93 rod, and a Mikuni 34mm carb. It's a witches' brew but might make a good runner.

Was digging for something else and remembered this...

:popcorn:

Hi Bob
Have you had the head off of that copper head yet ?
I was wondering what the combustion chamber design looks like .
If the squish is around 50 % of the surface area ( .625" on each side of the chamber ) and the chamber is around 5cc I would like to copy that style for our 82 heads .

Hi Bob
Have you had the head off of that copper head yet ?
I was wondering what the combustion chamber design looks like .
If the squish is around 50 % of the surface area ( .625" on each side of the chamber ) and the chamber is around 5cc I would like to copy that style for our 82 heads .

Yes Brian i have but no pics on here sorry

McBob

Back