The Lewis Brander Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learne something.

Glad to see that pic. First time cutting with the PM Rocket. The chain speed is slow and she did some jumping when first starting the cut. Towards the end of the cut the saw cut to the side and was trying to force her to straighten up. Think that if I had better hand placement on the front handle, might have been able to controll her a bit better. . Also the Dawgs were on the cookie. I should have turned the saw around and had the dawgs digging into the log. I'll admit that I was a bit nervous, my first cut at any GTG, but I was having fun. That's all that counts. Never pretended to be an Arborist or racer. Ha, it shows. The cut with the old Disston was a bit better. Ha.Aquiring some experience and technique and watching others does count in the sceem of things. It was all in haveing fun and I throughly was enjoying myself, thanks to all who were there. Everyone take care and Happy Cutting. Lewis Brander ( "OLD SMOKEY").

Another GTG.

If at some time (time permitting) I'm at another GTG and anyone else has some old saws, I would sure like to see them and hear them run and demonstrated, even if they're not runnig would be great to at least see them. This was the first time I have displayed my saws and it was great. Now wished I had demonstrated more of them. It would be good to have a second log stand or some type of setup to demonstrate the Antiques. Then there would be no interupting the fellows with the faster saws or both could be used for the faster saws and then the old saws could be demonstrated for an hour or so. Just something to think about. As I said before, had a great time and thanks again for the invite. Take care. Lewis. (OLD Smokey).

Lewis I just have to say you have some of the best looking old saws I have ever seen Thanks for sharing them with us

Old Saws:

Thanks macman101a for the compliment. Glad you enjoyed the pics of the old saws. The saws I have tinkered with didn't turn out too bad. I'm fairly well satisfied with the way they turned out. My wife says I'm just an old fuss buget and bone or pig headed when it comes to paint and decals. The Zip saw was my first attempt at making decals, not bad but not completely satisfied, but will have to do for now. The Homelite 5-20 turned out great, tried to improve over what I did with the old Zip and hopefully future decals will have that appearance. I started restoring in June 2003, so everything is still a learning experiance. Mechanically the saws are no problem if I can find the parts I need or make them. But the final touches really make the saws shine and people can really appreciate and see the work that went into them. The last 4 saws I got are all now running, except the David Bradley, which I hope will be running tomorrow. Will hold off painting them for awhile, at least till some hot weather gets here. My wife doesn't like it when I paint in my basement. Don't know why, she complains of fumes. My stepson says that I'm just getting high on the fumes and that's why I've painted saws in the basement all winter, but guess that will have to change. Ha, now they'll suggest that I go from Old Smokey to the Old Paint Sniffer. OK, take care. Lewis.

Keep up the great work Also if anybody has a video of the old saws they should try to post it

Hey Lewis,

nice looking saws! I got two oldies down in the basement that i plan to get going 'someday'. I have a very nice Disston 100 that still has nice original paint and decals. Should only take some cleaning up to get going.. but that saw isnt really mine, a good friend 'sent' it home with me hoping i would get it going for him, since its known i like gas engined 'things'. :rolleyes: (Like i really have time for others peoples things?! Cant even do my own!) But i guess the 7 year rule applies, and its been sitting here for about 6 years. :)

the other saw IS mine, its a 2 man 2Cyl mercury-disston. Pretty complete, but not as nice as the 100. Hopefully i can get to working on it this year. If Marky's GTG ends up in NJ, i may be able to sneak away for a day and attend.

Have fun
Ron

To eyeinstine:

Hello eyeinstine. I am looking for pictures of the decals for the old Dissston, D0-101, that I have. Is there anyway you could take some pics and email them to me. I have some pictures of the decals, but they are to broken up to work with. If I could get one good pic of a complete decal I might be able to reproduce it or have it reproduced. Also need a pic of the Start-Run decal over the start run lever. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking for more Disston saws, but haven't come up with any locally as yet. They're out there, but haven't scared any up. Would love to get a KB6-AYor KB7-AY and a DA-211. Have been watching ebay, but the shipping is the killer for me. Got the Disston D0-101 running, but had to make the fuel meter parts that are no longer available. The pic of me cutting with her at the GTG, was the first time she has cut wood since 1962. The old fellow who had the saw needed the fuel system parts and couldn't get them. He gave me the saw in 1978 and I had it stored untill June 2003. I dug her out and assembled her, did some repairs and got her running on the 24th of Sept. 2003. Had her painted by the 29th of Sept. Stored her over the winter and on Apr. 2004, started the saw, but the fuel had turned the old diaphragms to mush. So ended up getting some different diaphragm materials and making replacements. Finding the right adhesive that would work with todays gas was a problem. Since then she hasn't ever refused to start. Just worried now that the old crank seals may eventually give out, but should be able to match up replacement seals for them, when the time arrises.

Again, if you could help me with the decals, I would greatly appreciate it. You take care. Lewis Brander.

Last edited:
No problem Lewis,

I'll try and get down the basement with the camera tommorrow.. heck, if i dig the saw out, maybe i should check it out a bit better???!!! If the previous owner drained the fuel and stored it properly, maybe it doesnt need anything but some fresh gas in the tank.. I cant be that lucky, can I ?!!??!?!!

Ron

Being Lucky:

Hi eyeinstine. Yes you could be that lucky, but one of the problems you'll find with the D0-100 Disston is that today's gas will eat or turn the old fuel meter diaphragms to mush, at least that's what happened to mine. I first had mine running on the 23rd of Sept, 2003 and the following Apr, when I restarted her she ran way too rich and flooded out. The diaphragms were shot. I shtu off the saw by pumping the tank dry, resstarting it and letting her run dry of fuel. Added a but of oil to the cylinger and sat her on a shelf in my basement. Figured I'd start her every few months and all would be OK, but ended up making new diaphragm for her, which was just as well, she's been going ever since. You'l also have to be extra carefull witn the rubber fuel lines, They'll be brittle and dry rotted. I managed to save all except the one from the tank to the cold start valve under the air cleaner. I ended up saving the hose ends and replacing the hose. I now have an original hose to put back on the saw for display purposes, which I'll do if the saw completely dies for some reason. Just something for you to watch out for. When you get a chance and take some decal pics, I'll be gald to get them. Thanks. Lewis.

Hello Chopwood:

Hi Chopwood. No I haven't done anyting with the stihl as yet. As you know I brought home extra saws from the GTG and have been working on them. The 3 saws from Paul are all cleaned up, some minor repairs made and are all running. They include the David Bradley- 917.60003, MONO- 85 and McCulloch - 250. I also cleaned up the Wright Reciprocating Blade Saw-B-520, cleaned the carb and have it running. Paul's McCulloch-1-43 is now cleaned up, minor repairs made and is now primed and painted. The Montgomery Ward saw I haven't touched as yet, but she ran at the GTG. Ha, gong to take a break and clean her up in a couple days. Once warm weather gets here I'll plan on painting more saws, unless I pick up more to tinker with. I took the blade and chain off the 08S and the saw is sitting on a shelf for now. OK, talk to you later. Everyone take care. Lewis.

Lewis,

I got some pics for you.. And a couple of the 2 cyl saw too.. Im going to post the pics over in the chainsaw forum so they'll get more views and maybe spark a discussion or such on the old saws...

Cheers,
Ron

I should have less saws this time Lewis so I may try and bring the stihl but only if you promise not to beat her to bad and make her mad, it is a super lightening 137 cc

I will tip my hat to Lewis,as a restoration man.Mine look good,but are pale in comparison to his.Excellent job Lewis.

To EHP and Al Smith.

Hi EHP. Don't worry about me trying to win any competitions. Any saws I bring will be just for demonstration purposes only. They aren't intended to set any land speed records. Like the PM Rocket and Disston, it was the first wood I have ever cut with them and the first wood the Disston has cut since 1962. All my saws run and are capable of cutting some wood, but the chains are not in the best shape. My Homelite 5-20, C-5, C-51 and 600 D are saws I'd use to cut wood. The David Bradley, I now have running, has a decent chain on her along with the MONO saw. Not sure what I'll bring, but not as many as before. Take care. Lewis.

Hi Al. Not sure what to say, but your saws sure can hold there own from what I've seen. Thanks for the compliment, people keep giving me comliments is likely to make me swell up and bust. Ha, so be carefull. I just try to get them to running and operating and looking to as close as I can to original. I'm no way an expert restorer or have the equipment or means to do so, but I try and enjoy tinkering with these old ssws. When it becomes an obsession, with no fun, then I'll have to quit. I have a couple saws that need way too much work to restore, but have used parts from them to get others going. But they have their place still on the shelf. OK, talk later. Everyone take care. Lewis.

Got my files from Bailey's.

Hello to all. Well, got my file order from Bailey's. Have been busy playing around and sharpening and touching up some of these old chains. The 1/4" file I got seems to work fine on the old 9/16" Disston chain, she's not looking too bad as of right now. May take a grinder and clean up the area between the rakers and the rest of the tooth. I ordered a new, 3/8", .063, round ground chisel chain for the old Mono saw from Jeff. The saw had a .063 gauge bar with a .050, 3/8" chain on it. I cleaned up and squared up the rails on the Remingoton roller nose bar. Can't wait to see what she'll do. Ha, Contra Lightning, watch out. The David Bradley, 1/2" chain cleaned up fine. I also have an Oregon 21" bar with Stihl mount that I may try to adapt to the McCulloch 250, but will have to get a new .404 sprocket and chain for her, might try to go to a rim set up.. After that's done all the saws should be ready to cut a little wood, except for the old Bolens, which needs a new 7/16" sprocket and chain. Well that's where I am for now. Everyone take care. Lewis Brander.

Last edited:
Saw chain and More saws:

Well, got the chains done on these old saws. Think they turned out rather well. Now looking to get more saws. Have a chance to get 13 more saws, if the wife doesn't pitch a fit. They include. 3 Homelites, 3 Pioneers, a Strunk, a Wright, a Solo Rex, 3 McCullochs, and a saw with a front mounted carburetor (???). Guess this one could be an Eclipse "Wasp" or one other saw from the Roots Mfg. Co. with a West Bend engine. A fellow has them and wants them out of his garage to make more room. Haven't seen them as yet, but made him an offer, that he has accepted. He also has a Disston DA-211 ( needs clutch or gear parts) that an uncle has. He's gong to see if his uncle will want to sell it and put a price on it. Hopefully this weekend, I'll see the saws. My brother was going to take me to the fellows place last weekend, but ended up having work to do and catch up on. Ha, wish me luck witn the wife and the saws. Everyone take care. Lewis.

Got the Saws:

Well, got the saws, 14 total with an old Homelite Generator throwen in. The saws include: 1-40 McCulloch, Solo Rex, Pioneer 650, 2200 and P-21, a saw with a front mounted carburetor (Eclipse or Root???), 2 Mini Macs, Wright saw (Gold color). 3 Remington Mighty Mites and SL-9 and 5-20 Homelite, with an old Homelite gererator, model 24A115-2. I've had the saws runnig that had spark, but they will need fuel system work, filters, lines replaced and carb kits ( luckily all Tollitson). Have taken some picks and will post after film is developed. The Remington saws (twig cutters) I'll probably not bother with for now ( parts missing and need a lot of work, only the SL-9 has spark). They are all cleaned up and now will take them to my work area in my basement to got through the fuel systems and order parts. OK, talk later. Everyone take care. Lewis.

Latest posts

Back