The Log Skidder in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez John,

Mills must love you since Doyle under-estimates volume in trees under 28", then over estimates in 30" plus. You ever think about International 1/4" or won't the mills buy on that scale?

Hi Steve, here the price is reflected regardless of the scale that is used.
Sometimes I sell on the Ontario rule which is close to the International rule.
In a way, the Doyle is good in that it discourages the cutting of smaller dia. trees unless it's the mill that is doing the cutting.
John

04ultra said:
John something wrong with your pictures..

The Husky chainsaw is missing in the pictures..:laugh: :laugh:
I probably just drove over it by accident when I was multi tasking whilst taking pictures of songbirds. :popcorn:
John

Gypo Logger said:
Hi Steve, here the price is reflected regardless of the scale that is used.
Sometimes I sell on the Ontario rule which is close to the International rule.
In a way, the Doyle is good in that it discourages the cutting of smaller dia. trees unless it's the mill that is doing the cutting.
John
Hi John, I see you mention different types (rules) for scaling logs,I was wondering if you could explain some of the methods and the differences between them.Not being in the biz I have had no experience with grading,but have heard a little about it.Thanks in advance,Jeff

Nice pictures Gypo....

Here's the IH model 706 skidder.

The Skidder is like a moose in the bush while a tractor is like a deer.
The moose can go most places it wants to, while the deer usually sticks to a trail, But I don't think the moose or deer skids much timber, although they might uproot the odd sapling.
Nice old tractor Jwoods.
John

SK6.jpg

SK8.jpg

woodfarmer said:
gypo, been wondering where you been hidding, i thought once the snow melted you might have headed further north?

I guess I should have in April. It costs more to stay at home than out on the open road.
John

SK5.jpg

;) Nice hitch Gypo.

I'll trade 'ya for this cottonwood stem. I may even throw in a coupla loonies.

Hi Jwoods, it almost looks like White Ash from here, probably worth about as much as Cottonwood now though with the flooded market.
John

It was 75 degrees today and the blackflies were thicker than theives, but for some reason I felt like cutting some firewood.:rock:
John

Ash $200/1K -on the stump -how pitiful. Me thinks I'm going to have to create a market

Cottonwood-can't hardly give it away......but some crazy wood flea like me thinks he can build a barn with it.

Joe

Sounds like someone needs to host a GTG with all that cottonwood.

Fred

Whiteindustries said:
Anyone ever run a Quadractor?
I had two but never got a chance to bring them into the woods before I had to sell them.

These are really handy machines, made in Troy VT, and they can skid 4,000lbs with just an 8hp briggs engine. They are good in the woods as they have four wheel drive and all four wheels turn. The high ground clearance is nice too. They are very inexpensive to fuel and operate, especially given the fuel rates these days. I have three of them and manage a website dedicated to the machine, visit www.quadractor.com to see more pictures and details. There is a forum there too with a lot of other quadractor owners who still farm with them.

Matt

Latest posts

Back