The logging and chipping bregade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railomatic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ever come across the logging brigade, guys that flog their guts out all day converting logs for beer money, the guys who have half a brain to what they are actually cutting up, they normally cut the tree down to the butt and leave the rest because they do't have a saw big enough to do the rest, we have dozens and dozens of them over here.

Get to know them because they are one of the best sourses of decent logs, they are on an ever increasing hunt for thier ammo, once you have found them, ask them how much they think they can get from a paticular log by turning it into logs, then tell them you will give them a little more for the log as it is, so they don't even have to get out their saw.

I have bought many decent logs this way, and a lot cheaper than the proper woodsman prices that know what its worth, the logging guys soon catch on to what your doing, so you move onto the next victim and so on.

On the chipping brigade, write to your local council and give them the echo story, tell them what a waste or resources it is by chipping them up, let them know you can take away the logs for free, so they don't have to hire in an expensive chipper to do the job.

They will soon work out the savings that this will give them, get in there fast though becuase others will soon latch onto this source.

Another way you can get decent timber from is, farmers who have a lot of big trees that are nearing their circular, you need to get them educated to what they have standing now and what they will have once its blown down
offer them to cut it up for a small return of a few planks, and plant some replacements for them as well, get the echo friendly group to do the planting.

Not sure I understand exactly what "turning a log into logs" means, but I get the gist that you're speaking of tree-service folks, not loggers.

You've got those guys--who chunk it up small enough for two or three folks to load on top of the chips and take it to the landfill. You also have the utility right-of-way clearing crews. And more. (There's a 50" or so White Oak lying by the roadside near here. And my man with the 088 isn't interested...)

The loggers proper leave more than enough "scrap" in the woods for me. AND they leave such a mess of the landowners property with skidders and loaders and trucks that noone is concerned about me mussing up the landscape in my little rig.

BTW, just looked at your stuff Rail. Like it. Like it a lot.:rockn:

Latest posts

Back