The Long Burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The past few years I have gone home to visit my mother during the Thanksgiving Day weekend and I have loaded up the OWB as full as possible before I left....and I have always come home to a warm house. This year I decided I would document the process and share it with you. The previous few years I would get the house as warm as possible (78 or so) before I left and then I would turn the house temperature down to 50 and turn the garage heat off.....this would reduce the amount of heat demand on the OWB. This year I just left the garage set at the normal 60 and the house was about 68 degrees before I turned it down to 60.

This is the stack of wood I was going to stuff into the boiler. It was Oak that had been sitting outside for years - but was dry from the recent drought. I was going to throw it into a burn pile, but when I cut it up to haul it to the pile I saw it was still really good inside - so I cut it up to 40" length to fit into the OWB. Other years I have used 12-18" diameter wood that is straight and easy to slide on top of each other to load as tightly as possible.
attachment.php

This is the wood in my Woodmaster 4400 at 2:00 PM on Wednesday just before we left. I was able to add one more piece of the Oak than was shown in the pile in the above picture - plus I had a piece of Poplar on the bottom to help get things started and a couple of small pieces of Locust that I squeezed on top.
attachment.php

This is a picture of the stack about 10 minutes after I loaded the OWB. I normally build smaller fires to keep the amount of smoke down - but this wood was very dry and didn't smoke much even though the OWB was horribly overloaded.
attachment.php

This is the temperature of the OWB after 4 days and 3 hours. I ask a fellow at work what the weather was like while we were gone and he told me the temperature was in the upper 20's at night and upper 30's during the day, and that it was drizzly rain the first 2 days. I had the OWB set to kick the draft blower off at 150 and on at 140, and the blower kicks off at 120 in the belief that the fire is out. The OWB boiler temp was down to 71 degrees when we got home and there were enough coals that after a quick raking of coals I threw in more wood and the fire took off again. The house and garage were both still at 60 degrees inside.
attachment.php

So......for my house and garage I am pretty comfortable with leaving for 4 days without having anyone attend to my OWB when we have normal weather for the end of November.....obviously colder weather would have made a difference. It is possible to get an extended burn when you load as much large diameter dry hardwood as possible - and do what you can to reduce the heating demand. I may have gotten a longer burn by turning the garage heat off and lowering the house temperature to 50. When I leave for longer periods I have a neighbor come by and add wood.

Last edited:
Thanks, you make us in house burners jealous. I can set my longwood dual fuel furnace to come on and start a fire while I am gone, but I am a little leary of burning while I am gone, so I am stuck to fuel oil or electric heat pump to keep things from freezing.

Yea, we just set the house furnace on 55 and let the cats be chilly for a few days when we take off, which isn't often.

Ian

Sounds like the OWB did the trick. You had some nice old oak there. Thanks for the posting, I have a CB and it works well for me. I was out hunting for three days and I came home to 117º on the stove and 58º in the house. For this old house, that's doing good.

The longer logs is a good idea, I need to remember to use longer longs when I'm gone like that. As a rule, I cut 16 and 18 inches so I would turn a log or two sideways in the back of my OWB to slow down the draft.

It's always nice to come home to a warm house and see the LP never kicked on.

Boy, I like the look of those logs!

That Oak had been laying in a field for several years and was dead when it fell, the outside was very weathered and gray. I had cut it up into 8 foot lengths to haul to a brush pile - but when I saw that it was still very good wood inside and still very heavy to lift I decided to burn it in the OWB. Because the tree had split in half when it fell it did not pack quite as tightly as wood that is round and unweathered - but it did a good job.

When I am cutting wood and I get to a section of of wood that is 12-18" diameter and very straight with no branches, I often will cut that wood in a 40" length to use when I am away for a few days. The larger diameter wood had less surface area per volume of wood - but at some point you just can't lift a 40" piece anymore. The first couple of logs are the hardest to get in as they sit in the coals and are hard to slide in - once you have the wood on the bottom you can slide the wood above in pretty easy when the wood is straight and there are no branches sticking out to hang the wood up as you slide it in. I usually end up burning Oak or Hickory as that is what seems to be the most plentiful in my woods.

Congrats on getting the long burn. I have the 5500 and do much the same as you. Run the house temp up to 80...pack her as full as possible...drop temp to 60 and away we go. Ski trip last winter for 3 days and I was at 120 when I returned...temps in the teens while we were away.

When i went away for 3 days,I just turned off the OWB circs,and turned up the stat on the oil burner,and let it burn oil....filled the OWB,and when i returned,the OWB was still 180,with 1/2 a load left.I have a tenant,who is disabled,even though he's offered to fill the owb,I dont want to risk it....for the few dollars it costs while im gone,its worth it,it also gives the oil burner a little excersize,it hasnt run since august...i turn my stat down to 58,and as soon as i return hit the circs,and got my unit up to temp in an hour or so,temps were in the 20s at night,and high 30s while gone.

Old Banjo, this thread is great. I remember it from last year also, but am enjoying the before/after detailed pics of the operation. Good documentary on the process of achieving the "long burn." I'd say it worked.

When i went away for 3 days,I just turned off the OWB circs,and turned up the stat on the oil burner,and let it burn oil....filled the OWB,and when i returned,the OWB was still 180,with 1/2 a load left.

I also am not risking anything - I have the heat pump thermostat set about 5 degrees below the woodburner thermostat. If the fire does go out and the house temp drops 5 degrees - the Heat Pump kicks in and the OWB water will still be circulating through the heat exchanger in the heat pump plenum and it will keep the OWB water warm and prevent anything from freezing. For the 3 times that I have done this the temperature in the house has never dropped enough to kick the heat pump on.....if it did I believe it would be running for a very short period of time as we are only gone 4 days.....and the OWB has always been able to run for that long. The only thing that could shorten the OWB burn dramitically would be some extremely cold windy weather....or a malfunction of hte OWB pumps or blower.

Last edited:
I wasnt concerned about freezing...no way would the owb freeze in 3days here in november...i knew i needed heat on my tenants side,as well as DHW....and i only trust a few ppl to load the owb.....my biggest fear is someone not shutting the door...

we built in 2009 and created a heat sink in the basement floor. Basically left an 8x8 area in the middle with no radiant. foundation is solid rock, had a D4 dozer up on it's blade scraping that sucker. so the theory is that the heat sink will hold heat longer when there isn't a supply of heat. helps with the extended burns and demand for heat in the house. never have come home to a cold home after a trip.

That Oak had been laying in a field for several years and was dead when it fell, the outside was very weathered and gray.

That's what I call fossil oak. Long dead dinosaur bones of elderoak.

Sapwood flesh long gone. just the semi petrified heartwood remains of a long-since perished tree.

It's like stuffing the firebox full of a triceratops, burning fossiloak is. Burn cycles can be measured out in aeons.

Back