The most underated saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AUSSIE1 I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, and I did say it was my opinion that the 7900 was a better saw. Now when it comes to power I and others have done the testing, the 7900 has always come out on top there. No tears on this side of the pond whatsoever, I have no brand loyalty, and like I said in my original post, in some ways I was agreeing with 440, and for the most part I agree with you as well. No the 7900 will not oil a bar longer than 32" that well, but we also don't cut pumice wood like you AUS guys.

Last edited:
AUSSIE1 I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, and I did say it was my opinion that the 7900 was a better saw. Now when it comes to power I and others have done the testing, the 7900 has always come out on top there. No tears on this side of the pond whatsoever, I have no brand loyalty, and like I said in my original post, in some ways I was agreeing with 440, and for the most part I agree with you as well. No the 7900 will not oil a bar longer than 32" that well, but we also don't cut pumice wood like you AUS guys.

:cheers:

Does AS really equal BS these days?? Maybe that's why I don't post much anymore. I hear lots a guys down the Dolmar 7900 and lots of guys praise them, but when it comes down to it most don't really understand engineering and quality in any way shape or form IMHO, Is the 7900 a POS like 440 says it is? no it's a great saw better than the 440,460 or a 385, IMHO, and stronger as well and that isn't my opinion, this has been proven time and time again, and I really don't care what some hick hack logger says. The 7900 is only a 20" saw??? my big fat lazy a$$ it is, they will pull a 32" bar all day long.

I will also say most who says the 7900 is the best saw ever made probably hasn't even dropped a tree bigger than 20", in fact I know it's true. I agree with 440 on many points. Most on this site are Sunday morning wannabee loggers at best myself included, with little or no real world logging experience, this to me is also fact. Anyone that truly believes the 361 or any 60cc saw is the king of saws doesn't and hasn't really run any saw for any extended period of time. Let me be honest I think the 7900 is the most underrated saw, I think it's better than any Stihl or Husky of slimier displacement, but the fact is the Husky's and Stihl's have put more wood on the ground than any Dolmar model could dream of, but that's not to say they couldn't. For all the guys the rely on specs you're, with a few exception, the worst of the worst, saws like the 359, 353, 350 and so on are as good or better than the so called pro saw in the same cc class period.

YOUR opinion is YOUR opinion.....i cant take that away from you and are not trying to. But what i am try to tell you guys what breaks on them and what needs some better engineering,..and what saw will outcut them. And a 385 will outcut it....i have seen it with my own eyes many of times. I would honestly like to know when i said it was a POS though? Im not sure what you think i said but i said it was a good saw...how does POS come out of that? Im a hick hack logger huh?.....thats funny. LOL

I love all the anger on this board. It's a good time.

Anywho, my bid for most underrated is the ported 372xp. It truly comes into it's own once ported. I see far more saws over-rated than underrated. After reading a particularly self-indulgent 346XP love-a-thon thread, I half expected all the posters to be teenagers that couldn't lift their keyboards above waist level, let alone a saw. Speaking of which...

As for the 7900, I just dunno. Yes, it is light, but they have less torque than even an MS460, let alone a 390xp or even a 385xp, and supposedly can not slick up a 32" bar enough to make much use of it according to a bud of mine. I can't talk for the AV, but I personally know someone whom has had one where the AV has failed in use in forestry. At the risk of waxing Trollwellian, I personally do not like how they handle. The support isn't the best, but a few parts are fairly cheap from Bailey's. But, overall, I think it's a good saw for the money. I just wouldn't own one if given the choice. And I would never claim it is the best saw ever, especially since I would rather have several other saws ahead of it. To each, his own.

I love all the anger on this board. It's a good time.

Anywho, my bid for most underrated is the ported 372xp. It truly comes into it's own once ported. I see far more saws over-rated than underrated. After reading a particularly self-indulgent 346XP love-a-thon thread, I half expected all the posters to be teenagers that couldn't lift their keyboards above waist level, let alone a saw. Speaking of which...

As for the 7900, I just dunno. Yes, it is light, but they have less torque than even an MS460, let alone a 390xp or even a 385xp, and supposedly can not slick up a 32" bar enough to make much use of it according to a bud of mine. I can't talk for the AV, but I personally know someone whom has had one where the AV has failed in use in forestry. At the risk of waxing Trollwellian, I personally do not like how they handle. The support isn't the best, but a few parts are fairly cheap from Bailey's. But, overall, I think it's a good saw for the money. I just wouldn't own one if given the choice. And I would never claim it is the best saw ever, especially since I would rather have several other saws ahead of it. To each, his own.

Good saw for the money is exactly right....and I OWN one...AND work with 4 of them....good post bud! They are good for what they are and nothing more....they are 70cc and shouldnt be compared with 80cc saws....which is a completly different category.

they are 70cc and shouldnt be compared with 80cc saws....which is a completly different category.

This is incorrect. The testing I and many on this site have done prove the 7900 is quite a bit stronger than any other stock 70cc saw made today. I know and see this as fact, not just opinion. Anyway I think the power or lack there of that some have is likely do to tuning, the 7900's are VERY hard to tune. Not only because of the limited coil, but also the sound and behavior of the saw.

Know this, I'm not really going to challenge or question any logger you when it comes to felling trees, please have some respect for those like myself that's spent the last 6+ years figuring these saws out, and learning what they can or can't do.

Last edited:
I feel the 60cc class in general is under-rated. They are a very good all around saw for homeowner to pro. Efficient with shorter bars and can pull a fairly long bar in as-needed cases. There is a lot of talk about the 50cc and 70cc classes, but I think the 60cc class fits the bill in more scenarios than it is given credit for.

This is incorrect. The testing I and many on this site have done prove the 7900 is quite a bit stronger than any other stock 70cc saw made today. I know and see this as fact, not just opinion. Anyway I think the power or lack there of that some have is likely do to tuning, the 7900's are VERY hard to tune. Not only because of the limited coil, but also the sound and behavior of the saw.

Know this, I'm not really going to challenge or question any logger you when it comes to felling trees, please have some respect for those like myself that's spent the last 6+ years figuring these saws out, and learning what they can or can't do.

Hey i never said i was never wrong...but alot of people have opinions...including myself. I have no problem giving you guys some respect...which i do in all honestly...and really i do appreciate the info that you can offer sometimes!

My answer would be with a saw that runs good and still impresses the heck out of the neighbors...Bob

My answer would be with a saw that runs good and still impresses the heck out of the neighbors...Bob

Here are a couple of examples, Echo cs1001vl, Partner P100-McCulloch PM1000, Poulan 655, Homelite 650, I probably missed a few underated 6 cube neighbor impressers.

Let me pick one model from each of my two favorite brands.

Jonsered 930 Super. It's more powerful than a 920.......able to leap tall bulidings.......OK I'm getting carried away. But if you own one, you know what I mean. Very strong saw. Came at the tail end of the 910/920/930 family, and was only on the market for 3 or 4 years. Was talking saws with a logger last week and he said he felt the 930 was the best saw Jonsered ever made. (And he's owned a LOT of saws)

Husky 257. This saw had to go through life without the coveted "XP" label on it, and still suffers a lack of respect for that reason. Take it apart and you see some pretty boring, straight up and down open ports. But they work! Didn't have the peak power of it's more famous 262XP big brother, but the power band was wider and in some ways more user friendly. Just a really really good all around saw that doesn't get talked about very often here.

Ever popular models can be underrated;

This may sound odd to US members, but it is a fact that the MS361 and MS260 actually are a bit underrated here, as most posts about stock saws are relating to the power demoted US versions. :D

The 372xp may be as well, as most posts are relating to the heavier and bulkier HD version.......

Ever popular models can be underrated;

This may sound odd to US members, but it is a fact that the MS361 and MS260 actually are a bit underrated here, as most posts about stock saws are relating to the power demoted US versions. :D

If this is the case, why do we consistently see US members using longer bars than you do in similar hardwoods with their ms361's and 260's?

If this is the case, why do we consistently see US members using longer bars than you do in similar hardwoods with their ms361's and 260's?

I believe cultural differences is the main factor, and then there are less need for really long bars......

In my region you very raely see anything over a 20" bar. This does not include loggers though.

I believe cultural differences is the main factor, and then there are less need for really long bars......

I would argue that it being a 60cc saw, that a tiny design difference means basically very little. Now maybe if you had a euro 660 VS an american 660 you could argue a power difference. But in a 361? WHat are we talking? .1 hp? Maybe .2? That is a simple twist of the H screw in difference. My 361 cut white oak just fine with a 20" bar. I think the difference culturally is when I need to cut real wood, I turn to a bigger saw... Afterall, the difference between a 362 and a 460 is less than E150...

I think the Dolmar 7300 is underated. It is a lot of saw for the money and is a nice firewood saw. Mine is very smooth, very good power and I got it for a good price (about the same price the dealer was selling a Stihl 362, also a good saw). I know all about the I could have more power for the same weight in a 7900 thing. I don't care, it works for me. Also I'm not saying it better than this or that, we are all entitled to an opinion and some people just get way to sensitive.

I think the Dolmar 7300 is underated. It is a lot of saw for the money and is a nice firewood saw. Mine is very smooth, very good power and I got it for a good price (about the same price the dealer was selling a Stihl 362, also a good saw). I know all about the I could have more power for the same weight in a 7900 thing. I don't care, it works for me. Also I'm not saying it better than this or that, we are all entitled to an opinion and some people just get way to sensitive.

The Dolmar PS-7300 was one of the most impressive saws I've ever ran. It's power seems very deceiving, if you will. I would imagine because of the outstanding AV. I havent ran a lot of saws, but i do know the 7300 is awesome.

i submit to you that after 78 posts, the brand (not necessarily the model) that hasn't been mentioned that is hardly ever accorded any respect is the Efco (previously known as Olympic, Olympyk, Spartan, Blitz) brand. Very well engineered pro saws that range up to ~100cc that has a great product without any real dealer support network or advertising.
But i do agree with a previous poster that the most underrated saw is the one you get cheap that does what you want.
Just sayin

Jerry your right on the money. My Efco saw (JD CS 56) get's no respect. It has performed and has held up as well as any of my Stihl's. It has been a flawless saw for the last 3 years.

Latest posts

Back