The most underated saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got me there old Boy,

Can't remember the last time anyone had something good to say about the 346.

I must say the only thing those things are over rated for are their balance. 5100S can do everything just as good, (except falling over)

He just needs to bring it over here to some real wood, and after he gets smoked by a stock 261's and 5100s he'll go back home with his tail between his legs. He's to use to just cutting 8-12" softwood pecker poles.

You got me there old Boy,

Can't remember the last time anyone had something good to say about the 346.

I must say the only thing those things are over rated for are their balance. 5100S can do everything just as good, (except falling over)

The 5100S may well be the most overrated saw in history here on the AS, starting with the original 4hp power claims that Dolmar USA stated the markerting with - they didn't really lie, but 4hp just means it is closer to four than to 3 or 5 - but most people read that as 4.0 initially - not true at all! :D

Well not being class specific or task specific I would say the most underrated saw is the 200t. If you havent used one of course if you dont climb or work with climbers chances are you havent, but that thing is a little beast, if you ever get a chance to try one out give it a rip. Of course at $625 most would have much better success pointing their hard earned money at other then a 35cc top handle saw. But for the job they are intended for they rock.
MS200T.gif

He just needs to bring it over here to some real wood, and after he gets smoked by a stock 261's and 5100s he'll go back home with his tail between his legs. He's to use to just cutting 8-12" softwood pecker poles.

I don't cut much "soft-wood", I actually can't remember the last time I did. Most of my wood is tightgrown "mountain birch", even though I mostly cut it at less than 200' altitude.

Remember where I am......:msp_wink:

The 5100S may well be the most overrated saw in history here on the AS, starting with the original 4hp power claims that Dolmar USA stated the markerting with - they didn't really lie, but 4hp just means it is closer to four than to 3 or 5 - but most people read that as 4.0 initially - not true at all! :D

I do not think it is that far off. My 5100S is noticably stronger than a Stihl MS290 rated at 3.75hp. As far as the 346xp, I'm sure it is a fine saw although I do not think I would buy one for firewood cutting (which is all I do). To each their own I guess.

The 5100S may well be the most overrated saw in history here on the AS, starting with the original 4hp power claims that Dolmar USA stated the markerting with - they didn't really lie, but 4hp just means it is closer to four than to 3 or 5 - but most people read that as 4.0 initially - not true at all!# :D
Well Troll,Tell us Old Boy, about that Dyno you have to put all these saws on to let you know their "true" horsepower ratings. Oh wait being a magical Troll, you probably use a crystal ball eh? 5100 is not over rated at all, it will tromp most every 50cc out there, and run within a gnats butt of any (50cc) ever built. Anywho, a very wise Man once told me "Horsepower is fer braggin' rites, Torque gets the work done"

Bump....did anyone mention the Husqvarna 576? Seems to me this is truly a superior chainsaw. I've heard this saw is so very smooth with gobs of power to boot. Plus, it is available with Autotune. Just seems to me the 372 series is much more talked about saw than the 576.....

Well not being class specific or task specific I would say the most underrated saw is the 200t. If you havent used one of course if you dont climb or work with climbers chances are you havent, but that thing is a little beast, if you ever get a chance to try one out give it a rip. Of course at $625 most would have much better success pointing their hard earned money at other then a 35cc top handle saw. But for the job they are intended for they rock.
MS200T.gif

I'd think the 200t is one of the most overrated saws after watching a vid of it cutting, not even close to the 50cc saws. With all the hype i was expecting a lot more. Steve

A ported shindaiwa. 488 gets my vote. Easy saw to work on and is built like a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own 2 of those 3 and there is nothing underated about those if you have ever run one. Put an unlimited coil on them and they will spank many saws of the same size.....
I have a 475 since new and I love it. It has the original coil should I replace this with a unlimited coil and what would that do for the saw. If it is wise to replace the coil how would one go about ordering it.

One you don't hear much about are the Solo 670/680 saws. Very impressive saws, not much talk about them, and they usually go extremely cheap on ebay for a 70 and 80 cc saw.

I'd think the 200t is one of the most overrated saws after watching a vid of it cutting, not even close to the 50cc saws. With all the hype i was expecting a lot more. Steve
I ported mine, set squish about .018, good muffler mod...(very important) It absolutely impresses the crap outa me. In fact, I consider it unbelievable.
A ported shindaiwa. 488 gets my vote. Easy saw to work on and is built like a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 680 is another impressive Shiny.

Back