the mystery saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny580

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
After you guys got me headed in the right direction and more research, you are right it actually is a 041 Farm Boss. I tracked down some of the part #'s and all led to 041, so I ordered a carb kit for it along with one for my Homie 290.---we see what happens! lol! and thanks for the help!

Attachments

• DSCN1256.JPG
    DSCN1256.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
got the carb kit today,---- wont have time to work on it for a few days,---been runnin the sawmill hard in the last few good days we will have before the real cold sets in. Cant saw in freezing weather as the saw freezes up. Will have pix when I work on the 041!

Well ,-- Raining here today so I got to open the carb kit box and ,-----well the chimineese got a WAY different idea of what a carb kit consists of!
They put in a complete carb, 2 lines, 2 gas filters, 1 air filter, 1 spark plug, and 2 gaskets. --- NOT what I was expecting!! anyway I will try the carb since it does look good and is new. Looks exactly like the original cept 1 outlet has a 90* on it but will hook up anyway.

Attachments

• DSCN1285.JPG
    DSCN1285.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1284.JPG
    DSCN1284.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Well ,-- Raining here today so I got to open the carb kit box and ,-----well the chimineese got a WAY different idea of what a carb kit consists of!
They put in a complete carb, 2 lines, 2 gas filters, 1 air filter, 1 spark plug, and 2 gaskets. --- NOT what I was expecting!! anyway I will try the carb since it does look good and is new. Looks exactly like the original cept 1 outlet has a 90* on it but will hook up anyway.

Get a genuine carb kit from a real supplier from a reputable repair shop and kit the original carb- odds are you will need it.
It will most likely be a zillion times better than the no name knock off carb, those things can be anywhere on a scale of okay to down right useless.
Original carb cleaned and kitted = a saw that will run well and hold tune.

My 250 is runnin on a knock off chimna carb! --better than the original one did which by the way had Zama stamped on the top side BUT,--- MADE IN CHINA on the other side so it really dont matter now days where you get parts from they are ALL made in chimna!! SAD but that is where we let America go!! Cant "buy American" anymore cause there aint no America to buy from! Just my observation! SAD too cause I was born American!

My 250 is runnin on a knock off chimna carb! --better than the original one did which by the way had Zama stamped on the top side BUT,--- MADE IN CHINA on the other side so it really dont matter now days where you get parts from they are ALL made in chimna!! SAD but that is where we let America go!! Cant "buy American" anymore cause there aint no America to buy from! Just my observation! SAD too cause I was born American!

Yeah I don't buy American, too hard to get where I live and yes ZAMA carbs come out of China now- but they have to pass quality control measures- knock off's do not.
Some knock off carbs work- more dont, or at least not as well as a good original carb.
You have the original and genuine kits are not hard to find, clean it, kit it, learn some along the way and you have a genuine carb to put back in the saw should the knock off not live up to expectations.

I dont have any way to clean them when they quit. and no carb cleaner dont do the job. too many small holes in these carbs and no way to open them up. I save the old junk carbs, so IF I ever figure a way to actually clean them I always could.
Anyway I got the new carb on and set on the mystery saw and it is one honkin saw!
The diaphram/gasket kit I put in the other saw did NOT fix it, so I still have to buy a carb for it.
As far as chimna quality goes,--- hammer it out with an ax, blow off the chips and send it out!!! LOL!

I dont have any way to clean them when they quit. and no carb cleaner dont do the job. too many small holes in these carbs and no way to open them up. I save the old junk carbs, so IF I ever figure a way to actually clean them I always could.
Anyway I got the new carb on and set on the mystery saw and it is one honkin saw!
The diaphram/gasket kit I put in the other saw did NOT fix it, so I still have to buy a carb for it.
As far as chimna quality goes,--- hammer it out with an ax, blow off the chips and send it out!!! LOL!
I bought an ultrasonic cleaner. I dismantle carbs and use hot water, a teaspoon of ultra dawn and a bit of powdered oxiclean or equivalent. Run thru a couple of times if
needed.
Then I blow out with compressed air.

Back