The "Name That Wood" Game

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's look alike to me is English Walnut becuz bark is lighter color than black Walnut which are darker...
Treeman67

Think it will dry?

Thank you for helping to determine the wood types. Just out of curiosity, how can you tell the difference between pin oak and white oak? Is it the number of points on the leaf? Is pin oak pretty good to burn, and can it dry enough across the next 4 months to be usable this winter. I'be been thinking of cross stacking and covering it with a loose black tarp to trap some heat to dry it faster.

Thanks again!

elektrobot:
with all respect, how often do you see the leaves of the wood you're scavenging? imo, if you're after firewood, forget the leaves, and learn the bark. Grab yourself a chunk of white oak, and throw it down beside the pin oak pictured. That'll answer your first question better than me typing 1000 words :). as far as leaves, w. oak is lobed, and pin oak is pointed.
Dry time, all I've heard is that pin oak takes a while to dry out good, but from me, thats hearsay. cross stacking and covering could only help, I believe.
-Ralph

Thanks for the great response

You are very correct, I rarely get an example of foliage from whatever wood I am scavenging. Hopefully after having more experience in preparing firewood, I will be able to recognize different species by their bark and grain. I have only had a wood burning stove for 1 season, and this is the first summer that I am preparing my own wood. The resources and information provided on this website by its users has been priceless. Thanks again for your response.

What are these?

Can anyone help me figure out what types of logs these are? Someone is giving me a :censored: load!!

Thanks
Don

Last edited:
Picture #1 is Cottonwood and there is some in pics 2 & 3. There is some other wood in 2/3 that im not sure of. Maybe sweetgum

The bark on the other than cottonwood pieces reminds me of some type of ash, but who know. I may be way off.

I agree with Olyman Cottonwood and boxelder. That dang boxelder growws like weeds around here in all the fence rows and around buildings. Its a pain in the butt:angry2:

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies guys!:givebeer: I do have some other hints on that wood if it helps... Its tough to split, sometimes it's easier toward smaller pieces, when split it smells like horse:censored: ! NO KIDDING. Is it worth keeping or giving it away. It was given to me free. And which one is worth keeping more, the box elder, (if it is), or the cottonwood,(if it is)?:jawdrop: :dizzy: :confused:

Thanks,
Don

Greenish Cotonwood will burn ok, but dried it's like papper, not really worth the work it looks like you are in for!!!
Not sure on the other wood at all?
Andy

The smelly one with the smoother bark is boxelder. they will both burn hot and fast when they a dry. both are fair in heat value
just like andy said
I burn some of both in my OWB

The stinky smell of the wood you describe is a characteristic of boxelder. I've burned stacks and stacks of it over the years, because I had to remove the trees anyway. Its a reasonable firewood, and since you're getting it for free, I'd say choose it over the cottonwood. Cottonwood will burn very quickly, much like willow.

all fire is hot and it doesent need 2 preaty 2 burn

some are better then others but any will heat your home. you cant beet the price of free but be aware of burning pines or evergreens as smoke is very thick and resinous and can and will catch fire in small enclosures like a chimney. pines and evergreens are perfect 4 camp fires because they give of much more light than others and will keep your campsite nice and bright. O and willow smells like piss when burning. the pear wood is good and like all fruit wood they smell nice 2. the 1 wood looks 2 b a butternut and should smell just like a walnut. box elder is very similar 2 maple and a lot of old tree-men call it the ash leaf maple it has the red in the heart and is the same wood that the original cross Jesus was hung from was made out of. all oak is good burning wood if the smooth barked oak u have smells like poop it is red but if not is is pin. pin is only good for fire when felled. even though it looks like sweet lumber when dried the knots shrivel up and fall out leaving the lumber looking like swiss cheese. cool thread.
ash is known as the fire wood of kings. the oil in the bark and leaves of walnut is poison an gives nasty blisters i dont recommend burning but it does give good heat.

Pine

Eastern Pine?

Definitely some sort of pine, but I'm not sure what type. If anyone can help that would be great. I would like to know what kind of heat value it might have -or if I should just use it for kindling. The power company took down a bunch of trees last winter -and I tried to take as much of it as I could. This has been sitting in my driveway ever since. I have about a half cord of it....

View attachment 34300

View attachment 34301

Around here we call it Red pine. Burns hot and fast with lots of flame.

Here is some stuff I been using that I found laying dead in North Central Kansas. It doesnt have a whole lot of weight to it, burns very well, and puts out meduim heat. Nice for days when it isnt really cold, lights up easy. I suspect ash, but I am not sure.

I almost thought it was locust until you said it was medium weight & not very hot. ???? I don't know my midwestern hardwoods.

FWIW, boxelder is sometimes called ash maple around here. Really messy tree! Big triple trunker in the yard drops crazy amounts of sticks every time we have a storm.

Hey Bowtie-
Those pics look alot like the bunch of 'siberian elm' we're burning this year. It does burn rather hot and fast, 'bout halfway between willow and oak. Coals well, but leaves alot of dense ash with 'klinkers'. When dried, it feels lighter than seasoned oak but fluffier than dry silver maple. Annular rings are average 1/8 0r 3/16 inch apart- ??? Wild guess...

Latest posts

Back