The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...burning ties is illegal in most places.
It is??
What leads you to believe that??

I have some old automotive paint and driveway sealer the previous owner of my house left behind. Is it OK to dip my firewood in it and burn it to get rid of it?
Around here it is actually suggested you spread old liquid coatings on cardboard, allow it to dry, and then burn it as a means for disposal.
So yeah, I see no problem with substituting wood for cardboard... have at it.

It is??

Around here it is actually suggested you spread old liquid coatings on cardboard, allow it to dry, and then burn it as a means for disposal.
I believe you are supposed to spread it on cardboard to dry and put it in the trash, so it goes to a land fill. Not burn it!! Come on!!

Do you have that in writing? Not trying to argue, just curious what they say.

We're not even supposed to burn painted wood.

It is??

Do you live in china?

If it's illegal for you to burn painted wood that must be a local, or possibly a State regulation.
No I don't have it in writing... legislature doesn't pass laws saying what you can do (or what you can burn), they pass laws saying what you can't do (or can't burn). As I understand it, the federal regulations that apply to coatings, only apply in liquid form (i.e. containing the solvents and carriers)... once those have gassed off and the coating is cured there ain't anything stopping the burning of it (unless your State or local government has some sort'a law or ordinance). The regulations on liquid coatings are about ground water contamination... not air pollution.

The old hog house was taken down here at this place over the summer, the excavator pulled it down, pushed it in a pile, then it was burned... layers and layers of paint, shingles, old wiring and all. Next they dug a hole, pushed the ashes and anything that didn't burn in it, and covered it up. Oh... and an old tire was used to get the whole mess started burning... also legal (however, you cannot burn tires as a means for disposal in Iowa... but you can use one to start or maintain a slash or trash fire).

I've posted this before...
I can apply used motor oil on my driveway for dust control... however, the used oil must be generated by me (or it must come from my equipment), and it can then only be applied on my private property. I can not buy the stuff, or hire the job done... it has to be my used oil, and applied by me, on my property.

I can burn anything I want in my burn barrel... or even my burn pile... except tires as a means for their disposal, but I can use a tire to maintain the fire. Styrofoam, plastic, rubber, old shoes, whatever... whatever trash I generate.

I believe you are supposed to spread it on cardboard to dry and put it in the trash, so it goes to a land fill. Not burn it!! Come on!!
So the land fill can burn it but I'm not supposed to?? C'mon... think about what your saying.

friend runs a body shop,,and has for years...that's what the dnr person told them to do,,as there were no volatiles left,,when you let it dry on cardboard in the sun.....................as spidey said...there goes some bs arguments.....

If it's illegal for you to burn painted wood that must be a local, or possibly a State regulation.
No I don't have it in writing... legislature doesn't pass laws saying what you can do (or what you can burn), they pass laws saying what you can't do (or can't burn). As I understand it, the federal regulations that apply to coatings, only apply in liquid form (i.e. containing the solvents and carriers)... once those have gassed off and the coating is cured there ain't anything stopping the burning of it (unless your State or local government has some sort'a law or ordinance). The regulations on liquid coatings are about ground water contamination... not air pollution.

The old hog house was taken down here at this place over the summer, the excavator pulled it down, pushed it in a pile, then it was burned... layers and layers of paint, shingles, old wiring and all. Next they dug a hole, pushed the ashes and anything that didn't burn in it, and covered it up. Oh... and an old tire was used to get the whole mess started burning... also legal (however, you cannot burn tires as a means for disposal in Iowa... but you can use one to start or maintain a slash or trash fire).

I can apply used motor oil on my driveway for dust control... however, the used oil must be generated by me (or it must come from my equipment), and it can then only be applied on my private property. I can not buy the stuff, or hire the job done... it has to be my used oil, and applied by me, on my property.

I can burn anything I want in my burn barrel... or even my burn pile... except tires as a means for their disposal, but I can use a tire to maintain the fire. Styrofoam, plastic, rubber, old shoes, whatever... whatever trash I generate.

So the land fill can burn it but I'm not supposed to?? C'mon... think about what your saying.
They bury it with the rest of the garbage, in a designated area,,, What did you drink for supper?

They bury it with the rest of the garbage, in a designated area,,, What did you drink for supper?
Maybe where you live... here they burn it to reduce the bulk as well as eliminate anything that may contaminate ground water before burying it.
I had a Diet Coke with supper... why??

Maybe where you live... here they burn it to reduce the bulk as well as eliminate anything that may contaminate ground water before burying it.
I had a Diet Coke with supper... why??
If they are burning everyone's garbage there I guess I see your position. . Are you in a extremely rural area?

Definitely a difference by state then.

You cannot burn garbage in MN. So basically burn barrels are a magnet for trouble if they are visible from a road.

Due to this rule you are also expected to pack out your garbage if you go camping in the boundary waters canoe area. Nothing like attracting bears with a little stinky food garbage. I pack whatever I can in ziplocks and bins for this reason.

In the case of burning down old buildings, that's another no-no as all of the lead paint, etc will leach into the groundwater. You want to legally get rid of them here you best get a guy with a dump truck and a backhoe. It then goes to the dump and onto biomass plant where guess what, it's burned. Lol.

friend runs a body shop,,and has for years...that's what the dnr person told them to do,,as there were no volatiles left,,when you let it dry on cardboard in the sun.....................as spidey said...there goes some bs arguments.....
And in MN's case they are worried about all of the contaminants from the paint itself getting into the groundwater.

My cousin works for one of the local garbage co. (As you know theres two). He does collections of all hazardous material. You would be surprised at what they do with all of it. Incinerator is a the key word. This is oil to paint to chemicals. I'm sure emissions are controlled. They defintely don't just bury it tho.

Farmers take drain oil to lubricate their chain lines that pull the **** out of the barn. Then it all goes right out into the fields with the ****. Which eventually makes it to your dinner table.

Old buildings get burnt all the time for practice.

And i just burned in my barrel!

It is??

My county ordinance on burning stuff. Good enough for you? ....oops, of course not, since you are just trolling again.

Harry K

Same here, in fact the ordinance specifies not burning ANY demolition wood. Guy last year tore down an old barn, salvaged the usuable lumber (very good market for that type of wood) and left the land owner with a huge pile of the trashy stuff. It is still there as of 2 days ago.

Harry K

Just one of many: Polk City Iowa:

"POLICY FOR OPEN BURNING"

(excerpt)

Fuels Not Permitted: Rubbish//refuse such as - painted/stained/treated wood, garbage, rubbish, vegetation, grass clippings, leaves, rubber, plastic, flammable/combustible liquids (paint, used oil etc)

My county ordinance on burning stuff. Good enough for you?
Nope... not good enough.
What I was asking about was your comment, "...burning ties is illegal in most places" in post #568.
I asked, "What leads you to believe that??"
So I'll rephrase the question, how does your county ordinance lead you to believe it's illegal in most places??

Just one of many: Polk City Iowa:
"POLICY FOR OPEN BURNING"
So what?? That's a city ordinance that applies within the city limits of Polk City only.
The town north of me don't allow the burning of trash (or burn barrels), but in the town south of me there's a burn barrel in nearly every back yard.
I don't know, or care, how Polk City defines "OPEN BURNING", but the State of Iowa does not classify a burn barrel as "OPEN BURNING".
When the State Fire Marshall declares an "Open Burning Ban" because of dry conditions it does not apply to my burn barrel... heck, it don't even apply to my fire pit.

B'sides Harry, how does that ordinance you quoted apply to burning RR ties in an OWB??
An OWB is not "OPEN BURNING"‼

Are you in a extremely rural area?
Well... I'm rural... don't know if I'd call it extreme.
I can tell you my entire county (500 sq. miles) only has 16,000 residents, 12,000 of which live in the 5 or so little towns... the largest town 7,500.
In the county west of mine, just the largest town alone has twice as many residents as my entire county.

...in MN's case they are worried about all of the contaminants from the paint itself getting into the groundwater.
I'm confused??
Wouldn't burning dried paint before burying reduce, or even eliminate that possibility??
Truthfully, I'm no longer surprised by any law or regulation in Minnesota. We have a family lake home in your State, and sometime I just have to scratch my head over the rules and regulations. However, in the county where the home is located, we have a burn barrel, and it's perfectly legal... so I don't believe it's correct to say you can't burn garbage in the State of Minnesota.

Back