The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ya do it for any less than what it's worth then it's not really worth it and your undercutting everyone else. She has my number so she may call back after she gets a few other prices. Hopefully.

If you want quantity of work do it for $50. If you want gas money and lunch do it for $100. If you want anything more do it for what it's worth.

If what it's worth is too much then let someone else do it.

I did a job for a old lady once trimmed a red maple , took maybe 15 minutes and she made meatballs and sausage for the whole crew and red wine , I mean was it worth it .................. Hell yea it was and when I drive past her house from time to time I always check that maple to see if it needs to be done again :clap:

Got a call for some storm damaged cottonwoods. Should be straight forward . Can't get to it till next week tho...

Removed a troublesome alianthus between two buildings, power line through it over a rubber roof and street sidewalk below. Then removed a dead poplar offshoot, 30' tall with extensive landscaping below and tight quarters then finished with a multi trunked maple removal, multiple power/cable/phone lines through the canopy. 15 people watching during the whole thing, betting on damages or power lines coming down. Everyone lost. No problems, no damage and no complaints. Huge heat today. Never sweated so much.

Pines

Removed a couple dead scotch pines today. Ho said the swing set would b moved that was right between them it wasn't. Lots of roping even little stuff would dent this old swing set he was happy. He didn't think it was fair that I charge the same when I had to do extra work (his retirement was screwed in the Enron scandal). So he offered me a few more bucks and wouldn't take no and it worked out:)

I got poked the other day on a price to do a job by a "retired" older woman. Gave her the price, "Is that the best you can do for a retired so and so?" I dropped it $50 and she was still a bit reluctant but agreed. As we continued our convesation, I find out that I'm working here at ther second home, the other is in Jersey, where she just purchased a train store with her son and they deal in high end rare tains sets. :msp_sneaky: :bang:

Managed to get this bad boy safely on the ground. Kinda scary. Above the split, that broken leader is 40". I have more pics but not on my phone. I'll post them later. It was resting on three points which made it tricky. I ended up climbing it and cutting it from above. Big scary wood. Glad I had the John deer tractor handy.
c6e4d9a1-ca3b-ae19.jpg
c6e4d9a1-ca5b-2849.jpg

I got poked the other day on a price to do a job by a "retired" older woman. Gave her the price, "Is that the best you can do for a retired so and so?" I dropped it $50 and she was still a bit reluctant but agreed. As we continued our convesation, I find out that I'm working here at ther second home, the other is in Jersey, where she just purchased a train store with her son and they deal in high end rare tains sets. :msp_sneaky: :bang:

Priorities priorities

This one gives you better perspective. The leg of that cable that is around the tree is 20' long. And the hinged wood is just over 8' off the ground. I'm in no rush to do one this hairy again soon.

43acf8e6-2f73-ee9a.jpg

I get to go back and take out those other 2 leaders soon. They'll have to come down in small chunks because it over hangs a barn.

Last edited:
Finished all the cutting on that cottonwood. 9 hrs worth of cutting. I'm glad I dont have to do any of the cleanup. I'm just charging them hourly since it was already on the ground and I'm not hauling. My take home from bid jobs usually works out to around $60hr, so I figured that's a good place to start. A couple thirsty saws have no trouble guzzling nearly 2 gallons of gas for this one. For reference, my 460 is 47" long from handle to bar tip.
More pics
43acf8e6-72ae-b5c9.jpg

43acf8e6-72be-bc7f.jpg
43acf8e6-72cc-c186.jpg

Last edited:
Did some light pruning.....man the weather 's been nice in norcal lately....but not next week, 100's will be back too soon.

arbor2.jpg

Backleaning Dying Hackberry

Had a goodsized hackberry to remove Saturday. It was about 50 percent dead and was 2 main leaders which had grown together and had included ark from about a foot off the ground to almost 6ft up to where the leads split off away from each other. One lead was leaning towards the street and the other that ws mostly dead was backleaning over a fence,greenhouse,and outdoor vegetable garden on the other side of the fence. I cut the first lead and cleaned it all up. Then rigged a pull line up high as possible on sound wood, ran it through a 5/8ths block as a redirect then to a pick-up truck. I made the notch then did a plunge cut to make sure my hinge was going to be perfect. Before I made any cuts I tensioned the pull line pretty tight then made the finishing cut about6 inches under my plunge cut. Turned the saw off signaled the driver of the truck and got away while he pulled it over! It worked perfectly!!

I've never seen the original Portawrap; Is that one there?

NO, its something I made my self. I call it the little wood Chuck.. I use it for light rigging and single line rigging. I have a bigger vision of this that I use for running dual lines simultaneously . Works great. I also have a piece of angle iron that bolts to this small one and fits into a kerf cut to keep it from sliding up the trunk on heavier rigging (removals only)

Back