The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your eyes were keener than mine, or maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see. I thought that tip tie on the second leader was a block but I was wrong. Not to say that was a bad appraoch, only the climber sees what is safe and what isn't, and especially in rot prone trees like poplars you'll just never know until you're up there. I've been up poplars on spurs and had the whole spike punch right through the tree. Scary stuff for sure.

For those who are attempting this sort of thing (since this in the the HO helper forum) sharing the load is a good thing to do. The load that a single pulley will see can be as much as 5 times the weight of the branch it's taking in a dynamic situation, or even more. Even in a static load scenario, the load the pulley sees is going to be at least double the weight of the branch. Adding a second pulley on a second stem does more than simply share the load between the two pulleys - it redirects the load so that it's pulled down more in line with the branches loading them in compression rather than simply pulling them downwards.

The first thing I do when up in a removal is set 2 pulleys. It gives you two lowering points, but it also distributes the load and redirects the forces in line with the branches. A great practice for sure.

Shaun

I am a big fan of sharing the load.

Tree Removal, Denver and Boulder Colorado Arborist, Patriot Tree Company - YouTube This video is corny as hell but shows how well sharing the load works. I would not have been able to take pieces that big without setting the rigging point back like that. Though if I were to do that tree again today I would bring another rope through the block under the cut and tie it off to the piece separately and slowly swing the piece to the other side to be lowered. I was pretty green when that video was made.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of sharing the load.

Tree Removal, Denver and Boulder Colorado Arborist, Patriot Tree Company - YouTube This video is corny as hell but shows how well sharing the load works. I would not have been able to take pieces that big without setting the rigging point back like that. Though if I were to do that tree again today I would bring another rope through the block under the cut and tie it off to the piece separately and slowly swing the piece to the other side to be lowered. I was pretty green when that video was made.

Corny my ass Sgt Sadler would be proud. You snake eaters rock.

Getting ready for a busy day tomorrow

Tomorrow we've got 2 Pines, 1 with a damaged top, and the branches don't start til 40 feet up. I'll have to climb that one. I usually don't climb, I use the bucket. There's a postage sized yard there with only one spot to rig and drop into. The other's a piece of cake, notch and drop along their driveway. They clean up. Sweet!:msp_wink:
2nd job, a quick 2 hour limb and drop they clean up too!:)
3 rd job drop an 8 foot willow stump, ( too big for the HOs saw ) and grind the stump, but need to go under their tile patio and follow the roots:buttkick:
Stay safe out there!

Getting put off by HO's and the people who want the wood is obnoxious. They know each other and are discussing (endlessly it seems) which trees of a stand of about 7 Jeffery pines ranging from 40'-80' to cut down to get the 3 best matched logs for an entry way/gate to their farm. They need 2 equally girthy logs of 25' and one of 20' (two uprights and a cross member.) they want me to take a 55' spar and half it. One half for the upright, and the other for the cross member. I told them that without a crane I can't guarantee that I can do it without damage to the logs. The landing zone if I felled to whole thing has zero margin of error an could possible break the spar on uneven ground. If I topped the spar then I have no way of lowering the top safely. If I bomb it, it's almost guarantied to get damaged or damage something. They have selected the tree from which the second upright will come, so that's no biggie, I'll just top it at 27 feet and fell the spar. I wish they'd let me choose for them. Oh well, I guess we'll see what they choose.

Yackity Yack

Getting put off by HO's and the people who want the wood is obnoxious. They know each other and are discussing (endlessly it seems) which trees of a stand of about 7 Jeffery pines ranging from 40'-80' to cut down to get the 3 best matched logs for an entry way/gate to their farm. They need 2 equally girthy logs of 25' and one of 20' (two uprights and a cross member.) they want me to take a 55' spar and half it. One half for the upright, and the other for the cross member. I told them that without a crane I can't guarantee that I can do it without damage to the logs. The landing zone if I felled to whole thing has zero margin of error an could possible break the spar on uneven ground. If I topped the spar then I have no way of lowering the top safely. If I bomb it, it's almost guarantied to get damaged or damage something. They have selected the tree from which the second upright will come, so that's no biggie, I'll just top it at 27 feet and fell the spar. I wish they'd let me choose for them. Oh well, I guess we'll see what they choose.

Well...You know what? The customers always right:msp_wink: They may have their head screwed on bass ackwards but they're still right. LOL
:popcorn::popcorn:

You warned them, now give them what they want... and whatever you do dont jump that top half too much which would all but ensure it got damaged. Then they would have no choice but to choose another log and pay you to cut that one too.

It's raining and snowing, so I sharpened 2 chains that didn't need it. :bored:

Bid a solid job on a monster spruce. Goin saw shoppin. A shiny new 460 is coming my way.

Got my rope hung and stuff

I had a redirect that went off to the side of another crotch my rope was through, when it was time to pull the rope down I tied a knot in the end of the rope to pull my caterpillar down, and wouldn't you know it, just as the rope came off next to the last crotch it swung across in front of the the crotch with the caterpillar in it, and about 1 - 1/2 feet or so from the caterpillar it decided to flip up and rap around a small crotch just above the one with the caterpillar in it.

The knot landed perfectly in that little crotch to where it was impossible to pull it down. I ended up throwing the weight and line back through the crotch the other way and dragging the rope over to the other side, then threw it across the crotch the knot hung in and pulled the end back through that one to get it out.

This was all after I was up in the tree pruning out suckers, and pulled my flip line back across a crotch that was out in front of me way out towards the tips of the branch, and it flew back and knocked a knot on my head above my right eye the size of my thumb.

Man, I didn't climb yesterday, because I thought it would be bad luck.

Other than that everything went pretty good.

Work

I hauled away three trailer loads of logs today. Chipped brush and raked a lot! I love finishing up jobs, specially big ones.

Boot, what Happened to the climber job offer? Ya the western slope of Colorado is almost the same postcard like setting can't wait to finish up my Dentest barter job so I can get up there, this was a picture up the frying pan river by lake Rudi east of basalt before Hagarman pass, really great country.View attachment 233648
233648d1334456875-more-colorado-24big-horn-stump-jpg

Last edited:
Boot, what Happened to the climber job offer? Ya the western slope of Colorado is almost the same postcard like setting can't wait to finish up my Dentest barter job so I can get up there, this was a picture up the frying pan river by lake Rudi east of basalt before Hagarman pass, really great country.View attachment 233648

Turned in my app. Waiting to hear.

Is there anything Terex doesn't build anymore? I think they have bought into every mechanical manufacture in the nation.

Back