The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you learn to use a (,), (a comma for those of you in Rio Linda), and then explain to the guy on the job what it means when you say "why pick them up", when you have no idea of the job, terrain, etc,..
I used 6 comma's.
Did the log's jump into the cart? Why not ease up and not attack a thread that is obviously a question that the OP felt it was proper to do so?
Jeff :msp_tongue:

oh, and here we have old head being a Godam ####### jess cause he thinks he can.... and will. Flash that badge Jeff, show these newbie punks how to punctuate.

Hey Goob, I am just saying that the guy (Bootboy) started a thread and in the right forum. I think if you wanna argue, I can meet you in the other forum.
Jeff

who am I trying to argue with? not with boot, I mearly said use a log cart, if you can walk um out you can roll um out 99% of the time. not with you either my response to you with the comma stuff was just givin #### back to you cause you gave it to me...

See? Its newbie against newbie just as its old head against old head.
I think you forgot a comma.

He quartered them, so as to not hurt themselves.
With that new pretty 460 with the lite bar,It was probably looking for more to cut, makes short work with the right saw. Wish I had it!
I did put the old rusty non "auto crane" on the front of my 1600 for the rounds I could dolley, but not lift, to save time on quartering stuff and the mess it makes. I Jack knife the chipper a bit to swing them in curb side.
Paul

236961d1336195382-chipper001winch-jpg

Last edited:
When quartered, 30+" wet spruce rounds fit better into my trailer. The mess wasn't a big deal. A neighbor came over and asked if he could have the noodles for compost. I said, "Knock yourself out" he got a rake and a tarp and cleaned up the mess for me.

Im a fan of "work smarter, not harder".

When in doubt , qtr them out. We do it when the yard has a hard access. Log carts with a decent disk can be hard to handle crawling up/out of a walk out with gates and obstacle's, seems easier to just bear down and carry them by hand. We just get a production line going. 660 with a 25" bar will destroy anything. When we do this, often the wood comes home for the splitter.

Made a new exhaust deflector for my non-cat 600p muffler. Noticeable change in sound, and power. Both for the better:)

I need to do something similar for my 460. But it doesn't have a bolt on deflector... Hmmm...
43acf8e6-7917-8e64.jpg

love this thread. used spurs for the first time today. did 3 poplars that were just about completely horizontal. cant say it was much fun. i feel like im standing on toothpicks on a swivel. pretty sure they were too big for me cause the back of my knee is killin me, maybe this should be moved to the whining thread lol. anyways, got everything down safe, didnt smash the shed, bird house, or fence and im still alive. good day.

love this thread. used spurs for the first time today. did 3 poplars that were just about completely horizontal. cant say it was much fun. i feel like im standing on toothpicks on a swivel. pretty sure they were too big for me cause the back of my knee is killin me, maybe this should be moved to the whining thread lol. anyways, got everything down safe, didnt smash the shed, bird house, or fence and im still alive. good day.

pics or it didnt happen... plus I want to see if you had your gafs on the wrong feet.

Stumped thebase of that sob spruce I cut last week. Cut it flush to save time with grinding. It's over 50" at ground level. Yikes. I cleaned off the biggest roots and ripped them flush with ground as well. Some of the roots were 8" + above grade. I hope this saves as much time with grinding as it took to cut...

Last edited:
did you want to take turns telling story's carb? anyways, took down a poplar leaning over a fence a shed and a pool and one leader off a birch both with the bucket. easy peasy, good day. have a good weekend.

did you want to take turns telling story's carb? anyways, took down a poplar leaning over a fence a shed and a pool and one leader off a birch both with the bucket. easy peasy, good day. have a good weekend.

Without picks it didn't happen. Without a rope it doesn't count.

Well anyway,

I did some Ddrt climbing(on a rope).

I tied into my saddle with a double fisherman's and tied a blakes with the tail.

I didn't have a pulley to advance my knot, so I placed a klemheist on my up rope and hooked it into a biner which I place under my knot, then I used my double foot loop the same way I do when climbing SRT. That worked pretty good, it was easy to move up, and the biner advanced the knot real well.

Only thing I didn't like about it is that I wasn't getting as much return for my effort as I would have like too, but did manage to climb to around 35' or 40' that way.

All in all it didn't take that much longer to get up there, it did force me to use muscles that I don't normally use that much when climbing, but I think it's a good way to climb.

One thing I really liked about it is the fact that I feel a lot more sucure climbing on a double line, there's not any bounce like there is on a long SRT climb, plus having two lines connected to me, and knowing there is only half the force on the TIP(I usually climb SRT, which puts twice the force on the tip as DdRT) makes me feel pretty good about it.

One problem I noticed is that you have to make sure there are no branches inside your loop, else you'll have to tie in with a lanyard and move your climbing loop across the branch.

Not much trouble on a big spread out tree, but on a tree with a lot of limbs I think it would be a real PITA.

Last edited:
Man you really make things hard on yourself with your climbing configurations??? Have you ever climbed on a traditional drt setup, just a rope, saddle and a tautline? I have never even considered a double fishermans to tie into a saddle?
Do you climb for a living, as a side job or just for fun?

Without picks it didn't happen. Without a rope it doesn't count.

Well anyway,

I did some Ddrt climbing(on a rope).

I tied into my saddle with a double fisherman's and tied a blakes with the tail.

I didn't have a pulley to advance my knot, so I place a climheist on my up rope and hooked it into a biner which I place under my knot, then I used my double foot loop the same way I do when climbing SRT. That worked pretty good, it was easy to move up, and the biner advanced the knot real well.

Only thing I didn't like about it is that I wasn't getting as much return for my effort as I would have like too, but did manage to climb to around 35' or 40' that way.

All in all it didn't take that much longer to get up there, it did force me to use muscles that I don't normally use that much when climbing, but I think it's a good way to climb.

One thing I really liked about it is the fact that I feel a lot more sucure climbing on a double line, there's not any bounce like there is on a long SRT climb, plus having two lines connected to me, and knowing there is only half the force on the TIP makes me feel pretty good about it.

One problem I noticed is that you have to make sure there are no branches inside your loop, else you'll have to tie in with a lanyard and move your climbing loop across the branch.

Not much trouble on a big spread out tree, but on a tree with a lot of limbs I think it would be a real PITA.

Dude, this is why some call you 'Clueless', ug.
Do you read what you post?
Jeff

Back