The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man you really make things hard on yourself with your climbing configurations??? Have you ever climbed on a traditional drt setup, just a rope, saddle and a tautline? I have never even considered a double fishermans to tie into a saddle?

I tried foot-locking, but that was way too much effort.

I considered using the double fisherman's and it worked just fine.

What's your problem with it?

Do you climb for a living, as a side job or just for fun?

All of the above.

####, I'll even climb for gear.

Last edited:
Yes I proof read just about everything I write.

I can't say I understand anything you say though.

I am not trying to be a ####, but I think you should stay in Bootboy's thread,, I dont need no more people mad at me. I think I am pretty concise on what I say, maybe you did not go to High School, I dont know, but I would think of you as a better person if you quit acting like you know somethimg.
Jeff:msp_smile:

I am not trying to be a ####, but I think you should stay in Bootboy's thread,, I dont need no more people mad at me. I think I am pretty concise on what I say, maybe you did not go to High School, I dont know, but I would think of you as a better person if you quit acting like you know somethimg.

Your mother would be real proud of you talking that way Jeff, she always wanted a girl.

Geeeee, like I know something? What the hell does that even mean?

What kind of footwear were you wearing?
eff :msp_rolleyes:

Shoes. lol

I tried it in some Timberlands, but they have too much heel on them so the rope wanted to slip through.

Then I tried it in some Rockies that have almost no heel at all and a real soft sole, and that worked pretty good.

I didn't have the klemheist or the biner to advance the knot on there either BTW, so I had to advance the knot by hand.

The Rockies aren't the best shoe for it I'm sure, maybe a shoe with a rough surface on top and a rough sole to grip the rope better, and with more support in it's design so that the rope doesn't squeeze your foot so much, then it would be easier to climb that way. A different rope would probably make some difference too.

Carb, I think you missed Jeff's point If you hang X from a point it still wieghs x not half of x and if it is a closed DRT over a natural crotch you have the wieght of x on both sides there fore you have 2x on the TIP, I suck at math with letters but you probably can get my over complicated example, think of it as if you are rigging yourself, the TIP of your block is going to carry a load of aproxamatly 2 times the load on the line,
Rope and Pulley Systems-segment 1 - Pulley Basics & the Pulley Principle.pds.m2ts - YouTube
Paul

The reason "bootboy" opened this thread is to get away from the like of all you "pros". in the past, an entire thread was devoted to what makes a person a pro and obviously it didn't come to any conclusions other than you have to be an arrogant know it all.

So now that "bootboy" has taken all of us novice part-timers to a different thread, the "pros" follow us. Do us "unprofessionals" a favor and offer insight and help as opposed to BS when you see it as opposed to wiseass side comments. Mayeb someday we can all be "pros" like you.

Back on topic, just finished a 60' locust, 24" DBH in very close quarters, over a deck with an aluminum gazebo attached, old growth plantings below, neighbors roof and fences around it and it all came down without a scratch on anything, stump ground out and paid. All that from a part timer with nothing but one groundie, one rope, spurs/saddle/flipline/saw and knowledge. But hey, I don't count because I'm part time.

Last edited:
I tried foot-locking, but that was way too much effort.

I considered using the double fisherman's and it worked just fine.

What's your problem with it?

All of the above.

####, I'll even climb for gear.

Just curious. You've probably used 10 times more different setups than I have, what was that carabiner knot you said you were using when you first came on here?
I mean, you have the climbers book and it shows exactly what most climbers use and you're funkin up the works using weird setups. Good to expermient though, just be careful. #### I learned on a 1 over 2 tautline and have just recently used a blakes for a job for more than a couple minutes:msp_w00t:

If you hang X from a point it still wieghs x not half of x and if it is a closed DRT over a natural crotch you have the wieght of x on both sides there fore you have 2x on the TIP,

No #### Sherrlock?

you probably can get my over complicated example

No I don't, because you're trying to tell me something I already know, what really escapes me is what makes you think I didn't know it.

Are you getting a different version of my post or what???????????

Just curious. You've probably used 10 times more different setups than I have, what was that carabiner knot you said you were using when you first came on here?
I mean, you have the climbers book and it shows exactly what most climbers use and you're funkin up the works using weird setups. Good to expermient though, just be careful. #### I learned on a 1 over 2 tautline and have just recently used a blakes for a job for more than a couple minutes:msp_w00t:

Not sure which one you're talking about.

Maybe one of these...

• Klemheist
  • Bachman
  • Autoblock
  • Knut

I've used them all to tie my footloops to the rope, I like the knut best, cause it holds better and releases well without locking up.

Last edited:
When using a Bachman, you can't weight the carabiner or the knot won't grip. Only use the biner to advance it. The cord must take the weight in order for the knot to work properly.

No #### Sherrlock?

No I don't, because you're trying to tell me something I already know, what really escapes me is what makes you think I didn't know it.

Are you getting a different version of my post or what???????????

Ummmm Duh..........

It's because that's what you said.

Clueless Carbie said:
One thing I really liked about it is the fact that I feel a lot more sucure climbing on a double line, there's not any bounce like there is on a long SRT climb, plus having two lines connected to me, and knowing there is only half the force on the TIP makes me feel pretty good about it.

The reason "bootboy" opened this thread is to get away from the like of all you "pros". in the past, an entire thread was devoted to what makes a person a pro and obviously it didn't come to any conclusions other than you have to be an arrogant know it all. .

I got no beef with you Cape, your pics in the pic thread are cool, but I think Bootboy would accept and maybe welcome pro's visiting his thread. I know I like to hear what is going on and I want his thread to continue and actually grow with wisdom from the pro's with no bashing.
So, are you saying that no pro should be allowed to respond to his thread?
Never mind, I do what I want!
Jeff :msp_biggrin:

The bachman Bachmann Knot -- Definition of Climbing Words that's the one. Had never heard of it before. A biner that big has to cost about as much as an ascender?

You don't need a very big biner, just big enough to hold your weight will do fine. Two biners if you want to attach a good set of foot loops to the chord. I use the leg straps from a climbing harness.

About $15 biners will do the trick.

But someone might still want to buy ascenders to use instead, if they don't mind having their rope chewed to hell.

Last edited:
When using a Bachman, you can't weight the carabiner or the knot won't grip. Only use the biner to advance it. The cord must take the weight in order for the knot to work properly.

You weight both the chord and the biner, since the cord is attached to the biner, but you could just weight the biner as in using it like a handle, the only thing that will release it is pull up on it, that loosens the grip on the rope.

I should remind you, you can wait the biner it's self like a handle as along as you have weight on the chord too, because it's the weight on the chord that locks the bachman onto the rope, so as long as you weight the chord the biner it's self can used like a handle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back