The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, school here and surrounding areas has been canceled yesterday and today. Our ground never freezes really deep and doesn't stay froze for long. Right now it is so fricken dry you have to cover your face if a skidder runs by you...w or w/o a hitch...dry like a drought. Our ground will really fall out here in the next month or two depending on what we will be cutting on. I have been on high ground for about 2 months...no "real" problems with mudd. The skidders usually pull the trucks in and turn them around with the loader anyway.

My next tract is a clearcut over here near me, I think it is pretty rocky gladey looking tract. I have cut all around this piece the last couple Winters and have always stayed up and kept working. I will be cutting yet another piece of timber lying along ADOC ground...over the last 12 years I have cut 75% of the ground that borders ADOC! That's crazy if you think about it! That is cutting solo and cutting with 2 other crews over the years. How I ended up cutting it is pure coincidence. Hell they should know me by now! LOL! I used to keep my skid horse on ADOC land when I cut a land locked set. The guards knew me and they would bring apples and stuff out to my horse.

Yep...it was supposed to be 40* today....NOT! It didn't get over 22* and sleeted , rained, and finally iced on me all day! I barely made it home! Fricken roads had black ice yet it was raining!? I hit the ditch coming around a turn...I hate black ice, you never know till it's too late!

Frozen ass'd junk rotten timber cost me three fricken loops...I might be able to sharpen them out some more but the frozen sand pretty much vapor locked them.

hey Jake, lol even some us southerners got cold this week, even ol Clint. 25 here today, 55 this weekend. it gonna thaw.

Lol, I hear ya Mike. I guess I shouldn't call you two "Northerners"... But you certainly are further north than I am. The armpit of the south was pretty pleasant the past couple days. Start off in the teens and get up to 35-40 with wind between 5-10mph. Gonna miss it!

Lol, I hear ya Mike. I guess I shouldn't call you two "Northerners"... But you certainly are further north than I am. The armpit of the south was pretty pleasant the past couple days. Start off in the teens and get up to 35-40 with wind between 5-10mph. Gonna miss it!

What? Yer in Mississippi? Pfttt!

I guess where you at we all north LOL. no but we don't normally get this cold, set records that were from 1919.

What? Yer in Mississippi? Pfttt!

Haha, good point. Armpit of TX more like it!

I guess where you at we all north LOL. no but we don't normally get this cold, set records that were from 1919.

Sounds like some cold stuff from what you've been posting! Good thing we're not from New York.

The F word, but not for our valley. I can hear the rain on the roof so we're making up for all the unusually sunny days in December.

Hydrologic Outlook
HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK
WAC033-041-045-053-057-061-067-073-092115-
HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
402 PM PST WED JAN 8 2014
...MINOR FLOODING IS POSSIBLE SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY FOR THE
SKOKOMISH RIVER IN THE OLYMPICS AND RIVERS FLOWING OFF OF THE
WESTERN WASHINGTON CASCADES...
CHANCES LOOK PRETTY GOOD FOR A PERIOD OF HEAVY RAINFALL OVER THE
OLYMPICS AND WASHINGTON CASCADES FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
SATURDAY. SNOW LEVELS WILL RISE FROM 3000 TO 5000 FT UP TO 5000 TO
7000 FT DURING THE HEAVY PRECIPITATION BEFORE LOWERING TO
2000-3000 FT TOWARDS THE END OF THE STORM. MODELS DIFFER ON HOW
MUCH PRECIPITATION AND WHETHER IT BE MORE IN THE NORTH OR SOUTH OF
OUR DISTRICT BUT WE ARE EXPECTING 2 TO 5 INCHES OF RAIN IN THE
OLYMPICS AND CASCADES AND ONE HALF TO ONE AND THREE QUARTERS INCHES
IN THE LOWLANDS.
RAINFALL AMOUNTS AND SNOW LEVELS ARE MARGINALLY SUFFICIENT TO
PRODUCE MINOR FLOODING FOR MOST AREAS...SO IT IS DIFFICULT TO SAY
WHICH RIVERS...OTHER THAN THE SKOKOMISH RIVER...ARE AT MOST RISK
OF FLOODING. BUT HYDROLOGIC MODELS INDICATE A FLOOD THREAT FOR THE
SKOKOMISH RIVER...FOLLOWED BY THE STILLAGUAMISH AND NEWAUKUM RIVERS AND
THE PUYALLUP RIVER NEAR ORTING. OTHER RIVERS WITH A LESSER CHANCE
OF FLOODING ARE THE NOOKSACK...SKAGIT...TOLT...SNOQUALMIE...AND
LOWER CHEHALIS RIVERS.
PEOPLE IN FLOOD PRONE RIVER VALLEYS ARE URGED TO CLOSELY MONITOR
THE LATEST WEATHER AND RIVER FORECASTS FOR ANY CHANGES.
$$

Back