The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot remember when I last picked up and ran the Barbie Saw. I think it was sometime last winter? Anyway, in order to start getting in some semblance of shape for the Napa work weekend, I got it out and running. Plan A was to clean up and pile limbs off a wolfie cedar. All went well until I went over to the place to pile and was moving a round left from the nail studded hemlock and bees started boiling out the bottom. I was slow but they were slower. So, Plan B began, dump some little alders. My gosh, my stumps look like HBRN was here. More practice is needed. One hour, one tank of old gas, day one of saw workout. Maybe this should be in the whiney thread?

Matt if you're interested I'd be more then happy to show you the head and walk you through what I know about them, all we run is Fabtek.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It would be fun to play with one for a day, but I'm really not set up for feller buncher/processor stuff quite yet, my one load a day is mostly profit, start adding to much machine right now and I'll start needing a mechanic... as it is I spend more time wrenching than I want to. As it is the crummy's speedo still don't work, it needs glow plugs before winter gets started, the Missus needs new upper pins, and probably a clutch soon, The hoe needs the spool valves rebuilt and maybe some rewelding (****ing morons), the Wifey's car needs a thermostat installed, and its about due for new timing belts... some where in there I have about 30 loads of logs to get out before Feb.

This time next year may be a different story, get an excavator, and maybe a dozer, perhaps rig the excavator to yard as well, then I can think about processors and what not...

You're more then welcome to come down and look at our set up, we do everything from ctl to clear cutting big second growth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The pain is way better after the second surgery, but it's still really stiff . Actually, to be more accurate, my range of motion is still really limited. Anything in front or below shoulder height is fine, but high or behind just isn't there.

I have an assessment here in Austin the 15th, and fly to Portland to see their doc the 25-27, and then hopefully this sucker will be wrapping up.

This time last year I was two weeks away from shutting down operations in Pennsylvania. It was in the 40s as the highs and we were starting to be sleeted on.

Now the forecasted high is 71 today, and the next two weeks a average in the 60s... Not sure what to do, because we only have that heavy equipment until Nov. 1.

Ugh. The joys of being a business owner with two branches, one that's 500 miles away.

Leasing?

Weather was 85 and sunny here yesterday. Supposed to be accumulated snow by the weekend.

Yeah. I don't forsee the market I'm working lasting that long and my access roads are impassable at ~three months of the year, and if I'd bought it outright I'd be in something like $5M in debt.

I have work on hold until the spring I could schedule, but unless I can extend the lease that won'f happen. I know the guys want the money.

Can you rent monthly after the lease is up? I don't have any experience here, the only thing we've ever rented was a skidder once while the dealer dropped a new engine in. they were more than happy to rent out a machine for a few weeks while they fixed ours.

The problem I run into is that a lot of my gear is very specific and some of it is being shipped to another contractor the first. There aren't a lot of Cat 345/349 (100k lb class) excavators plumbed with double auxiliaries and progressive link thumbs anywhere in the US, and from what I understand I have one of maybe a half-dozen of the 568 roadbuilders on the east coast. With that said, 330/336s with thumbs are plentiful, as are D8s.

So I could do work, but it would just take me a lot longer. I already called about 336 and D8s, but I'm aftaid I won't be able to get anything on such short notice.

Back