The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Great Lakes show this year in Green Bay?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Show was in Escanaba this year, so 2016 will be in Green Bay or Oshkosh.

1270's photos are right where I grew up. That's literally my stomping grounds.

First one is fanny hooe off of brockway, and second is the dead river from an overlook on the North Country Trail near wildcat canyon. Next time well swing through the porkies for you.

Oshkosh is under an hour from me. Green bay is two. Not a single skidder at the last show I was at in 14. I know CTL is the way things are, but I'd still like to see hand cutting recognition.

My dad and I are probably going to come out to look at the smaller equipment again.

There was one 648 grapple this year. I think all the rest was ctl and bunchers.

It would be cool if there was some of the competitive saw work, climbing, chopping stuff you see out west. Hand cutters are pretty scarce now though, as you well know. We currently have two guys knocking big limbs off with saws. Tough work. Tough guys. They handled 175 cord yesterday, and the same today.

I guess that barko is selling like crazy. A friend of mine has demoed one with a southstar dangle on it and he was impressed.

Timberpro seems like a good machine. We still have a timbco. Why non level only? You might want to consider a dangle head, just for speed.

I guess that barko is selling like crazy. A friend of mine has demoed one with a southstar dangle on it and he was impressed.

Timberpro seems like a good machine. We still have a timbco. Why non level only? You might want to consider a dangle head, just for speed.
For the kind of work we do the control head is a better fit since we don't always do 25 year old fir with it. We can't haul a leveler without a drop axle on the truck, we do some pretty steep ground with our 653E without one. That timberheads is a dangle that's converted to a fixed, it looks a lot like our Fabtek 240 dangle we have.

I don't think I've had a look at one of those heads. I forgot you guys cut some longer length stuff too. Probably hard to run a 30+ ft stick with a dangle unless it's into a deck.

I don't think I've had a look at one of those heads. I forgot you guys cut some longer length stuff too. Probably hard to run a 30+ ft stick with a dangle unless it's into a deck.
From the looks of the design it looks pretty tough. Yeah longer wood and a dangle head in the brush don't always work out the best, there's guys that do it because of at the time you had the Fabtek 2000 and the Quadco head. What do you think of the design?

Can't look at the pics very well on my phone, but it looks to be the same head cat and fabtek ran. I only know one guy locally that had one on a fabtek some years back. It was a club. Slow and they were always snagging hoses etc. The newer ones are refined some I'm sure. They look kind of cheapo to me.

You can get a logmax 7000 in a fixed configuration now.

Seems like you would want the fastest head that would handle the wood you re cutting. How big do you normally go before breaking out the saws?

Can't look at the pics very well on my phone, but it looks to be the same head cat and fabtek ran. I only know one guy locally that had one on a fabtek some years back. It was a club. Slow and they were always snagging hoses etc. The newer ones are refined some I'm sure. They look kind of cheapo to me.

You can get a logmax 7000 in a fixed configuration now.

Seems like you would want the fastest head that would handle the wood you re cutting. How big do you normally go before breaking out the saws?
Right now 20 inch is max on the Fabtek 2000 4 roller, yes they break hoses but the biggest thing I know from having an operator to having an owner on one is an owner pays more attention. The logmax is ok but is a 22 inch max this is a 24" and designed for the timberpro iQan from day one. The one thing I can say about a logmax is they have support out here but not many guys run the dangles though out here.

Suppose most folks process on the landing to make it simpler to yard logs whole tree?

This isn't exactly forwarder compliant territory...

ctl makes sense to have a dangle head, but here its just inefficient as Hel to be dragging multiple turns of sawn logs, when you could pull the same amount in one turn, and process em later, Big reason right there why most cutters don't do much bucking anymore, just fall em and leave em.

Saw a unit a few weeks ago that the cutters had come through on but the yarders hadn't set up yet, looked like a crop circle everything laid out in one direction.

Suppose most folks process on the landing to make it simpler to yard logs whole tree?

This isn't exactly forwarder compliant territory...

ctl makes sense to have a dangle head, but here its just inefficient as Hel to be dragging multiple turns of sawn logs, when you could pull the same amount in one turn, and process em later, Big reason right there why most cutters don't do much bucking anymore, just fall em and leave em.

Saw a unit a few weeks ago that the cutters had come through on but the yarders hadn't set up yet, looked like a crop circle everything laid out in one direction.
I will say there's more forwarders out here then you think but many company ground thinning. There's a lot of guys down here running the timbco timberpro clambunks and the tigercat 6 wheel skidders.

Back