the official arborist site work saw build off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lets limit this to one saw per builder this time.that way you gots one shot to show what you got. lol

That might keep the number of saws down. I would figure with all the stihl heads they'll be quite a few entered.

So it's on again! I'll be there if y'all will have me again. Hopefully I can get ahold of a 460 and try my first porting job on it. :D As long as you fellows don't laugh at it too hard when it falls on it's ass. Oct. 1st sounds like a great date.

Anyone up for an archery shootout after the saws are ran to gear up for hunting season. :rock:

well i dont have a bow anymore,good thing for you guys lol cotton wood is a little soft for what we want.

well i dont have a bow anymore,good thing for you guys lol cotton wood is a little soft for what we want.

Seasoned cotton wood is pretty hard. But most importantly it is usually free of knots so it will make a consistent test specimen. Finally at 24" with a stock grind chain you're going to find that the chain is going to want to float on anything really hard. I think it would be best to have something where the chain will bite and pull down the saw.

I'll also donate a build, not likely I'll come up with one of my own. One saw per builder sounds good.
I may bee hittin a few of ya up about buildin these Stihls, I barely got a clue on how to build my Husky's ;).

Terry, I may also have to send some money ahead to git an extra porta craper fer myself. Hope they got that last one outa yer yard. If not I appologize.:)

28'' of full comp buried is going to bite in pretty good. if you want to square me up a 24x 24 cant and bring it on down ill not turn my nose up at it.lol

stumpy,from the looks of it ii already have the porta jon for next time... im going to start charging them rent lol

28'' of full comp buried is going to bite in pretty good. if you want to square me up a 24x 24 cant and bring it on down ill not turn my nose up at it.lol

If I can make it I would be glad to bring a stick. But east TN for me is a large commitment to drive.

I could haul a stick down also. What do you fellows want? Poplar is very consistent but it's softer as y'all already know. Maybe a 25" Hickory round. Someone else would have to square it up though because I have no milling equipment.

i dont mind cutting a softwood but i dont think it will show the grunt of a saw.but it will make weaker saws look more competitive. im looking to further the gap with bigger wood and longer bars. i think folks will find that the gains arent as easy to get out of the stihl 460 as the 372 was.

Well you guys decide what you need and let me know in the next bit and I'll bring a good log. I can't haul but one good sized one though because it'll run me a fortune in gas and wear this old truck plum out if I haul more than that. :laugh:

But a good 6-7ft by 30-35" round of Wild Cherry, Red or White Oak, Shag or Pignut Hickory, MAple, Ashe or Poplar is doable for sure. Like I say though, if it needs milled then someone will have to mill it on site unless I can find someone here to do it, which is probably pretty possible now that I think about it. If I can, I'll have it milled out to a 24" cant. Y'all just let me know. I'd be happy as a Stumpbroke fat girl to help out.

Back