The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O.K. so I finally remembered to post some photo's of the Big McCulloch's. Sorry but I don't have any new action photo's at this time. The 740 needs the oiler housing replaced, someone let the chain run off at some point and wore a hole in the housing. I have the parts on hand, just been too busy doing other things. The others are fully operational and waiting for a worthy task. My younger son took one of the 125's to New Hartford (IA) earlier in the year to give a hand with clean up after the tornado went through. I was not around (in Singapore) at that time.

Mark

My "Twins"

Mark, that is an amazing collection of saws!:rock: :rock: :rockn: :blob2:

The Serial number would say it's an 070 but the 66mm Piston and Cylinder would roar 090! :clap:

Yes harrygrey382, I'd just like to take this opportunity to rub it in, again!

I'm going to have my fun with it for the next year or so then split it, strip it ,paint it, re-assemble it and then admire it!
you bastard... was wondering how it was coming along - is it all running as it should? Have you run one before (as in can you compare it)? I have an eye on the current 070 at the mo as it happens ;)

you bastard... was wondering how it was coming along - is it all running as it should? Have you run one before (as in can you compare it)? I have an eye on the current 070 at the mo as it happens ;)

All running well, I cut some 50 Inch stuff with it today for my uncle, at first I thought it was no better than the 070 engine I'd pulled out, then after about 4 fills of fuel it was plain to see it was growing some big balls! I'd say another day out will have it run in and then I can make a better comparison to the 070 but I've never ran an 090 before.

Be sure not to let that 070 slip through your fingers!

Okay guys, I need something that will out eat a stock 880 Mag... A buddy (Mr. Stihl himself) doesn't seem to think there's any use for anything over a few years old (especially any brand other than a Stihl)... So I need something to put him in his place. :)

Let me know what I need to get my hands on, and where I can get one. :cheers:

Parts are still available for the motors and a stroker kit is available to take the motor from 8.2ci. (134cc) to a 10ci. (I'm guessing about 150cc?).

jerry-

Where can this stroker kit be had? I am very interested. Thanks[/QUOTE]

HOSS,
Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I've been remodeling several rooms in the house and not had much time for fun..

Here is the link for the 820 stroker kits.

http://macbobaust.com/bender2.html

Let me know if you build a motor. I have a spare 820 I just may want to hop up.

jerry-

Last edited:
Where can this stroker kit be had? I am very interested. Thanks

HOSS,
Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I've been remodeling several rooms in the house and not had much time for fun..

Here is the link for the 820 stroker kits.

http://macbobaust.com/bender2.html

Let me know if you build a motor. I have a spare 820 I just may want to hop up.

jerry-[/QUOTE]

If hunting is a sport and costs a lot of money, Would cutting wood be considered a sport as well because it costs a _hit load of Money!!
Bruce.

Certainly is as Mac didn't make a twin cylinder saw, they made some twin cylinder snowmobile engines like the BP399.

My SP125's

big1.jpg

big2.jpg

McBob125a.jpg

Mc Bob.

Mc Bob
That is one impressive looking saw you are holding up. What model is the McCulloch, and what length of bar is it? Have you posted your saws in the McCulloch thread that I have started. Would be interesting to see them there, if you haven't. Bruce.

All running well, I cut some 50 Inch stuff with it today for my uncle, at first I thought it was no better than the 070 engine I'd pulled out, then after about 4 fills of fuel it was plain to see it was growing some big balls! I'd say another day out will have it run in and then I can make a better comparison to the 070 but I've never ran an 090 before.

Be sure not to let that 070 slip through your fingers!
sounds good! But I just couldn't pay £197 for a non runner... Some people really are crazy. Guess it's the waiting game again!

sounds good! But I just couldn't pay £197 for a non runner... Some people really are crazy. Guess it's the waiting game again!

An electronic Ignition module would probably have sorted it out.

Still, I did get my 070 non-running for £55 and a £35 Electronic Ignition Unit sorted it out, £45 bought the 36" Bar, £10 for the chain, £70 for the 6 shoe clutch, £10 for the Sprocket, £75 for the 090 Pot & Piston and £25 for the Clutch Cover.

Just before I bought it, it got a new Fan cover, Fanwheel, Flywheel, Engine Shroud, Air Filter and Air Filter Cover installed.
I still need the Oil filler Cap and a few badges before it's complete.

I've spent about £325 in total for the full 090 package to date.

Maybe crazy, but I think it was worth it! Isn't CAD wonderfull!?!?

attachment.php

An electronic Ignition module would probably have sorted it out.

Still, I did get my 070 non-running for £55 and a £35 Electronic Ignition Unit sorted it out, £45 bought the 36" Bar, £10 for the chain, £70 for the 6 shoe clutch, £10 for the Sprocket, £75 for the 090 Pot & Piston and £25 for the Clutch Cover.

Just before I bought it, it got a new Fan cover, Fanwheel, Flywheel, Engine Shroud, Air Filter and Air Filter Cover installed.
I still need the Oil filler Cap and a few badges before it's complete.

I've spent about £325 in total for the full 090 package to date.

Maybe crazy, but I think it was worth it! Isn't CAD wonderfull!?!?

attachment.php

Me too - what did the bar set you back ? Sweet set up .Am wandering about elec ignition too.No probs with the old one.Are they worth the $'s.

Me too - what did the bar set you back ? Sweet set up .Am wandering about elec ignition too.No probs with the old one.Are they worth the $'s.

£45 bought the 36" Bar

About $90 AUS.
Got it for £15 ($30) and the postage was £30 ($60), got it off US eBay as brand new old stock still in box. Had to wait about 8 weeks for it to arrive but at that price it was well worth the wait.

I bought the entire Electronic Ignition unit (Stator plate, module, coil and lead) but I really only needed an Electronic Ignition Module which would have only been a fraction of the price as my coil was fine but I had it ordered before I thought it through! I found Points to be a pain to set and Electronic Ignition removed them from the equation.
I would say yes, fit the Electronic Ignition as it will save a lot of setting time in the long run.

Latest posts

Back