The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another one, may not be quite a old as some but at 118cc's I think it fits the giant description. Dolmar 166 sold in Australia as a McCulloch SP118.

I hope to get some action shots at the upcoming GTG this weekend.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Posted this in McCulloch thread, but it belongs here, too.

McCulloch 1-82 followed by the Super 797. As was typical for Macs, I took 2 others out with me this day... The Mac 15 refused to run and the 795 decided to leak fuel all over me from somewhere under the tank so I never even started it and I have to fix it :cry:.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRtGJg0zQ5A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRtGJg0zQ5A?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I have added a 1100 CD and 2100CD to my arsenal, my final pieces would be an SP 125, or 797 and a 166.

Posted this in McCulloch thread, but it belongs here, too.

McCulloch 1-82 followed by the Super 797. As was typical for Macs, I took 2 others out with me this day... The Mac 15 refused to run and the 795 decided to leak fuel all over me from somewhere under the tank so I never even started it and I have to fix it :cry:.

I was going to say that 1-82 sounded too rich but then I realized you weren't close to loading the engine up. Both sound and cut great!

Yeah, the air vane governor is operational in it. On the 3rd cut, I'm practically standing on it and can barely keep it open... Power to spare with that gearbox and it's running 9/16 full comp chain, too.

I thought I would give this thread a bump and add a few new shots. Maybe someone else will get infected with the big saw fever.

First up , an pair of McCulloch SP125's having at it

attachment.php

Up close, this saw is completely original except for a few screws and the bar

attachment.php

McCulloch 55 in action, only 77 cc but it comes with an attitude

attachment.php

McCulloch 77, 120 cc of 1957 vintage muscle

attachment.php

Mark

As far as I'm concerned, no 2100 on Earth is worth more than $500.....and that better be like in 'used twice condition' with a decent bar & chain. Most of them saw serious loggin' use and had a least one set of rings and or a jug & piston swap. They were great saws; I had five of them when I was fallin'. But to prop them up now on ebay for $500 and over, for really worn saws, is just greed on the seller's part & stupidity on the buyer's. Some call it the 'free market' system of supply & demand....I can think of other names. For some reason, there are an incredible amount of them for sale from Canada. :confused:

Go to garage sales in the PNW in small, loggin' towns or try craigslist in the same area. NOS parts are scarce and Husky today acts like they never made the saw in the first place. Bailey's will tell you it's an antique and belongs in a museum. I can remember when they sold (I bought two from them) and had everything for that saw...screw them and the horse they rode in on.:msp_sneaky:

Kevin

Well Kevin, new saw prices, and changes drive up the value on em. As for 500 I would drop it on a good one in good shape in a heartbeat. There are low hour ones out there, just gottta find one. My buddy's nephew just bought one for 400. Had the original chain on it. Like new alot is in the eye of the beholder just has to be worth it for you. I agree there are a ton of well used, and abused one's for sale, but there are in all makes and models too. Like 044-46 066. You find the rare big saw that was not used much, but most people buy big saw's for heavy use. I just saw another sell here for 500. Didn't have a scratch on it. As for ebay I wont buy a saw there. Seem's like alot of fresh gas, polish, hope it fire's oh it did ran great so taking all bid's. Not me I will stick with this site, or loacal c-list where I can run it.

'Value' is relative...as I said, these saws were commercial workhorses. Occasionally, I see where a weekend warrior bought one and realizing it was too much saw, put it away....only to have it turn up these days for sale. In that case I would pay $500. But the fuel line and many of the pseudo rubber parts would be goo. So you have that to deal with; finding NOS parts for a saw that has not been supported by the factory for a very long time.

You may think the price is fair, but I can remember 10-15yrs ago these saws were practically given away (actually, many were). I could probably get $500+ for mine with the 36" bar and chisel chain, but for what point? I can't think of what I'd replace it with...smaller isn't always 'better'. And I only drag the saw out when I'm in some serious timber situation. Everything else, the Jonsereds 80 gets the workout.

Kevin

I hear what you are saying Kevin. But 10-15 years ago everything was cheaper, and you didn't have to pay 1k to get a 044 out the door. So with all new saw's so expensive used saw's went up inn value. True part's can be tricky but they are out there. Had to do the clutch, a crank seal, and the o rings on the oiler plunger. Thye were built out of the best part's, built to last, and be the best. They also run cooler in large timber then most saw's. Never would say or agree any beat saw was worht 500. But a good 2100 any day for me, because it will still last, and if you have extra cash, buy some part's to squirell away. But all good man we just got a different view, that's cool you brought up some good points. Norm.........

This thread is one of my all time favorites. I came here researching a Husqvarna 61, at the time I had a cheap dime store Homey. Flash forward 5 years: 7 100cc, 1 95cc, 2 85cc, 11 70cc,2 60cc, 3 50cc, the old Homey and a Mini Mac.

The big ones are my favorites, always a treat grabbing a saw and lugging through anything you can put in front of it.

As far as I'm concerned, no 2100 on Earth is worth more than $500.....and that better be like in 'used twice condition' with a decent bar & chain. Most of them saw serious loggin' use and had a least one set of rings and or a jug & piston swap. They were great saws; I had five of them when I was fallin'. But to prop them up now on ebay for $500 and over, for really worn saws, is just greed on the seller's part & stupidity on the buyer's. Some call it the 'free market' system of supply & demand....I can think of other names. For some reason, there are an incredible amount of them for sale from Canada. :confused:

Go to garage sales in the PNW in small, loggin' towns or try craigslist in the same area. NOS parts are scarce and Husky today acts like they never made the saw in the first place. Bailey's will tell you it's an antique and belongs in a museum. I can remember when they sold (I bought two from them) and had everything for that saw...screw them and the horse they rode in on.:msp_sneaky:

Kevin

After reading Norms post again, I see he was talking 166, not 2100. $700 for a real nice 166 would be a steal in my book, Even a real clean 2100 should bring that, considering their cost new, (in '80s dollars). The 2100 has proven it is a saw built for the long run.

7 Giants. (pay that puny 85cc on the end no attention)

attachment.php

BTW,

Never bought that 61 that brought me here.

Forgot the old Hoffco with a West Bend engine.

I "need" one of them since they were made right down US27 from me.

Man, I can never stop looking at these great old saws. Sometimes I stay up way too late reading all these threads. Thanks for all the great photos everyone!
Will

Since we haven't seen much activity in this thread for awhile.
I thought this lastest addition to my collection belonged here.
Homelite 3100G geardrive at 114cc's. Strong runner.

Lee

4thHomelite3100G002.jpg

4thHomelite3100G003.jpg

4thHomelite3100G004.jpg

4thHomelite3100G001.jpg

Latest posts

Back