The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old big inch chainsaws have turned into trophy items, many are restored, repainted and shelved. I'm sad when I see that, the history is gone. They should be cleaned up some, but left in the state they were found. A well worn example can tell tales of an age long gone, doing things that can only be dreamed of now. When I handle an old monster, I am there.

A flashback. Mud to the knees, sawdust in my shirt, bar oil drooling down my back...the sting of fresh cable cuts...can smell the crushed vegetation and freshly churned earth, that special sense of wariness when you are about to kick a giant in the ankle, adrenaline pounding in the ears as the steel hits the bark... all alone in a cloud of noise, smoke, chips... Mac vibes to the shoulders...rocking on a plank with the pull of the chain, a head splitting distance to the ground...

This Truly a great post Randy I have never saw trees like you and many on hear have when we (and I mean in my neck of the woods talk about big wood) it is only a splinter compared to the wood you have saw. I am also fascinated by the old Mac's and the Gentlemen that used them The skill it took to stand on that plank and handle the muscle that one these saw's delivered is simply amazing. Thanks' for posting the pictures to everyone that has and please keep posting them.
Thanks' again
Mike

The old big inch chainsaws have turned into trophy items, many are restored, repainted and shelved. I'm sad when I see that, the history is gone. They should be cleaned up some, but left in the state they were found. A well worn example can tell tales of an age long gone, doing things that can only be dreamed of now. When I handle an old monster, I am there.

A flashback. Mud to the knees, sawdust in my shirt, bar oil drooling down my back...the sting of fresh cable cuts...can smell the crushed vegetation and freshly churned earth, that special sense of wariness when you are about to kick a giant in the ankle, adrenaline pounding in the ears as the steel hits the bark... all alone in a cloud of noise, smoke, chips... Mac vibes to the shoulders...rocking on a plank with the pull of the chain, a head splitting distance to the ground...

Exactly right.

There wasn't much glory to be had, just the satisfaction of doing the best you could and going home under your own power.
Falling big timber was work and was easy compared to bucking, I burnt more cat's lives bucking and the degree of competence required was far higher than for falling.

I feel the same way about old working saws. I have a mac125 that came out of the PNW that shows honest wear, and runs great. It looks feels and sounds like a man used it to put food on the table for a year or two. It is honorable to keep a saw like that running in original condition.

There wasn't much glory to be had, just the satisfaction of doing the best you could and going home under your own power.
Falling big timber was work and was easy compared to bucking, I burnt more cat's lives bucking and the degree of competence required was far higher than for falling.

True. If you put a big one on the ground and you didn't bust it up you'd done well. But if the bucker slabbed it out or mis-read his tape or couldn't cut a true line all that work went for nothing.

YUP!

They are trophies, , better they rest in a collection than being sold for scrap eh?

I have never seen trees (in person) like those PNW ones.

But here in the flatlands there is a way to put them old girls to the test.

Ripping a 28"+ oak tree into slabs gives them a hefty workout, and an excuse to put 'em to work.

They are History you can put your hands on, agreed the bumps and bruises were earned, HONESTLY!

95% of mine are complete with their 'character marks", wouldn't have it any other way!

Here's an old one (somewhat) that did get an 'Earl Scheib, but retains a bit of her hard earned 'character'

479.JPG

Latest posts

Back