The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going. The pics and posts have been great. Definitely a thread worth revisiting from time to time!

A couple bit saw pictures from last month's GTG. More to come; this is all that I already had in photobucket.

The Homelite 2100 is a strong saw and made quick work of things. Definitely a nice machine! Power seemed on a par with the 075, but its lack of a/v definitely made it feel more "intimidating".

HeartBreaker.jpg

Oct2007GTG_50.jpg

Oct2007GTG_45.jpg

Oct2007GTG_35.jpg

Oct2007GTG_148.jpg

Oct2007GTG_22.jpg

Oct2007GTG_124.jpg

Nice pics computeruser! Yeah, those big Homies will shake you up but they sound and feel great cutting. Heavy but the weight takes them through the cut will little help.

BTW, the big log looks like ash. What's the smaller ones? First looked like white oak but later ones looked like hickory maybe?

Nice pics there Pooter. That looks like a great day to me. I would think though that the 2100 should have 2 or 3 horses on an 075. Don't get me wrong, I love my 075. It is very strong and is in my top 3or 4 favorite saws to use regardless of size. From what I've read and heard though the 2100 should be a step up from the 075. The xp1000 is 100cc vs.115 for the 2100 and my xp1000 (with a sprocket tip bar) is about an equal to the 075 when I cut with them both. I'd love the chance to run a 2100, it's one of the few real bigguns I don't have. I should also say that I finally got an adjustable carb on my 125mac, and wow!! I would say that in the stuff I have cut recently that it is right up there with my 090. Of course next time I am in some really big stuff(36"plus) we'll see if it is really in the neighborhood or not.
I hope that you have lots more days like the one in your pics.

I also have a few big old saws.

A Homelite XP-1130G. This thing will drag you over the log before it stalls! What a monster!

A McCulloch 797. Its a 123ccsaw. I used it for chain saw milling 25-32 inch diameter hard maple..look at the avatar. Its one powerfull animal. Suprisingly smooth to run as well. Its the most capable of all my big saws short of the XP-1130.

A Homelite XP-1020..Actually suprised me in three ways..two bad. Its loud as any two stroke I have ever encountered! It doesn't have the torque my 797 has..actually I have an old C-9 that pulls almost as hard in big wood..BUT it makes pretty good RPM's, more than I expected; and cuts like crazy with a 24 inch bar. I was quartering elm with mine and was suprised to see my "tweaked" S-XL925 can do about the same amount of work with a 28inch bar as my 1020 did with a 24. Bottom Line is Its got good power with lots of RMP's...just not as much power as my 797 and not as much more power than my 82cc saws as I expected.

My old McCulloch 660 gear drive is only 87cc but cuts as fast as anything I have short of my 797. Simply can't push on it hard enough to stall it. ITS a real suprise to me.

videos

OK, I finally broke down and put a couple videos on youtube. These were done last winter. Had a beaver girdle some big cherry trees so we're salvaging as much lumber as we can. Now that I'm listening to them, sounds like I may have been leaning a little much on the 1050. Yes, that's a Stihl 24" bar on the SP125. Had to machine a couple spacers for the bar studs. Using a .375 x 50 skip tooth - use the same bar and chain on my 361. The 125 seems to cut better with the 36" and .404. That's what's running on the 1050. We'll be cutting some more big cherry (same beaver) as soon as deer season is over so I'll try to get more videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKtC0ENaIFU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dw4GzVIjPE

Nice pics computeruser! Yeah, those big Homies will shake you up but they sound and feel great cutting. Heavy but the weight takes them through the cut will little help.

BTW, the big log looks like ash. What's the smaller ones? First looked like white oak but later ones looked like hickory maybe?

Shag bark hickory.

Yes, that's a Stihl 24" bar on the SP125. Had to machine a couple spacers for the bar studs.
Actually I have an 088 Stihl mount size on the big Homelite,which will also fit on my 125 Macs.Same deal,adapters and moving the oiling and adjustment hole a tad bit.Thank goodness for solid carbine drill bits,bars are hard.

. From what I've read and heard though the 2100 should be a step up from the 075.
Can't really say on that one .However with C-users 076 I'd say they were about even Steven.

I don't know but I would bet that if you were bucking big wood at the end of the day you wouldn't see much difference in a Mac 125,Homey 2100 or Stihl 076.What I do know is that if you ran any of them for a full day you would be tuckered out for sure.

When I tested some of my big saws during the recent harvester show, I got the feeling that the .404 cuts better than a 3/8 chain on euivalent bigger saws. Can't explain really why, just an impression maybe.
I tried 3/8" on my 125 's and came up with the same conclusion.

McCulloch BP-1 on eBay

Someone is selling a pair of McCulloch BP-1's on eBay, these are the infamous two cylinder McCullochs. One is the firing cylinder, the second is a counter balance/charge cylinder with no rings and no spark plug (non firing). There is a note in the chain saw collectors corner saying these were only offered for one year as there were great concerns that in the case of governor failure the saw would overspeed and come apart potentially injuring the operator. Auction runs through 07 Dec '07.

I have not run a 125 but I have run a 2100 and I have a 153super dolmar. but the stronges saw I have run and I wish I still had her was actually an Alpina cp120.

I had some time this week to work on a nice ole giant : a Danarm UK 125 auto built late sixties or early seventies. It's a 125 cc saw, no decomp, with a solid tip 20" bar.

It was still in good condition and needed very little work. Very powerful saw with a strong acceleration for it's age, but quite loud and one of the worst shakers I have held in my hands... my hands tinkled like fire after holding it for a minute...:dizzy:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had some time this week to work on a nice ole giant : a Danarm UK 125 auto built late sixties or early seventies. It's a 125 cc saw, no decomp, with a solid tip 20" bar.

It was still in good condition and needed very little work. Very powerful saw with a strong acceleration for it's age, but quite loud and one of the worst shakers I have held in my hands... my hands tinkled like fire after holding it for a minute...:dizzy:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Roland,

Very kool.

Put an Elastostart handle on it, drink 2 quarts of tepid Folgers out of a Mason jar and it won't shake as bad as you.

joat

Belgian don't drink no folgers, you should know that .....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Roland,

That's why that saw shakes more than you. BTW, what if I can get a belly dancer to serve the tepid Folders?

Just tryin' to help my fellow man,

joat

Back