The old mans 181se

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sprintmotor45 said:
My dad has a 181se from the early 80s' and I was interested how it compares to huskys of today? Performance wise, Is it as good as my 371 or 372s?

The specs say 4.0 kW/ 5.45 hp, wish is a bit (.1 kW) more than the 372xp - but it is at much lower rpms......

hey mike, all 181s were a thin ring full skirt. 4.9 cube, very small combustion chamber. they make one hell of a race saw. other than the spark plug angle you do not need to bother with a custom head.

one thing to be warned abut the 181 piston, if you remove the clutch/flywheel using rope or a piston stop can lead to a shattered piston. the piston design is a bit weak and the off center load can make a big snap.

heres what happened on one of my saws:
http://www.nwchainsaw.com/piston.jpg

Ben,
Would you say with a piston like that would it be better to spin it with a impact wrench instead of creating a pressure point on the top of the piston?
I have tryed the rope trick with no luck. I set the impact on a low setting and just tap the trigger. I feel its less stress on the guts of the saw.
Bob

Madsaw: with saws like the 181, i would say yes go with an impact wrench and use the compression if it has any. when that 181 piston let go it was a VERY loud heart wrenching snap. enough to make a grown man cry!

The 181's are probably the best 5 inch saws that husky ever built. They make fast race saws with the right port #'s and there are still allot of them competing today. The 288's were also quick and torquey saws but at 5.2ci they weren't much good for racing.

romeo said:
The 181's are probably the best 5 inch saws that husky ever built. They make fast race saws with the right port #'s and there are still allot of them competing today. The 288's were also quick and torquey saws but at 5.2ci they weren't much good for racing.
But Romeo, you skipped right over the 281's. :rock:

Back