The Outdoot furnace made by Wadena...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRNDAD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I came across the website for this wood furnace made by Wadena out of Hazelton Iowa...www.outdoorfurnace.com.. and I am curious if anyone here has one or has heard of these units. The price compared to the wood boilers is a lot less...around 3800 bucks delivered compared to 8 or 10 thousand and up for the boilers. My house has an existing forced hot air (oil) system already...would just tie the ductwork into it. I would love an outdoor woodcooker but refuse to piss away 10 large on an overpriced woodboiler. Summer is slowly coming and I am searching around for a project to do and installing a unit like this would be ideal to fill some time. I would appreciate hearing an input from folks...be it good, bad, or indifferent. Oh...by the way...Congratulations to the Saints!!!! You fellas made my day yesterday!!! :clap:

Looks interesting. I am sure the installation cost is a lot lower then the OWB. It also solves the single chimney issue.

It looks very easy to install....I am trying to find out if the ductwork that goes into the house has to be above ground and exposed or can it be buried in a trench so it looks less trailor parky....

at that price, why not just buy an indoor wood furnace, hook it up the same way and a little lean to around it.

at that price, why not just buy an indoor wood furnace, hook it up the same way and a little lean to around it.

but you wouldnt have the forced draft automatic thermostat control from inside ,the weather resistance or the overrly large firebox and long burn times over 12 hours ,to me its a neat idea my only concern would be how much wood use there would be.. that and the impending regulations that it likely wont meet soon if the epa has their way .it sure would be nice to have the fire risk and wood mess outside though

It would seem to be a good idea. There are some around here who have done this with an old style indoor furnace which has a large firebox. They get good results. The in/out pipes have to be insulated well, and not too far from the house or you lose considerable BTU's. I just don't see that these are worth the cost for what you get.

I'm looking for something like this myself. They are about 3 hours from me so I will make a road trip in the next couple of weeks and let you know what I find.

www.firechiefwoodfurnace.com has a new outdoor wood furnace that I want to look at also.

What I really want is a Yukon BJ90 but the cost of putting a flue/chimney thru 3 floors and getting the wood to it in the basement is a big concern to me.

I faced a similar situation and here's what I did...when we moved into
our 1880's brick farmhouse, there was a large wood furnace in the basement but was disconnected. How could we make this functional..a second chimmney?...new LP furnace w/ wall vent and install a liner for the woodstove? Read up on the Wadena and came up with my own. Salvaged an exact duplicate of the stove in the basement from local appliance dealers scrap pen, built a platform, attached and powered up a furnace blower and thermostat, built and insulated a chase for 8" fresh cold and hot ducts,
made a simple enclosure with repurposed tin and connected to two basement ducts. Included butterfly ducts so when the furnace does run the two I have connected to woodstove will still get hot air from furnace. While it can be improved, (next year) this was mostly an experiment. I have cut oil consumption by more 75% (normally 2 to 3 tanks/season...oil man came once in early Jan and that will be it...and will have more than half a tank to start fall 2010) While fired and running it keeps first floor at 65 or so...cooler upstairs...which for us is just right. Going outside to "log on" is no problem...dogs go out with me each time 'cause they get to chase rabbits, take a leak and get a treat. :cheers:

i don't like them cuz you have to worry about the thing warping if a control fails, and there is a lot more heat loss compared to a outdoor wood boiler. just my 2 cents!

Back