The Ozzy Redgum tree from hell......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a look at the lean going towards the river,managed to get a wedge around the back.The river was about 15 feet down allmost ended up there a couple of times.

182446d1304336393-picture-1053-jpg

182447d1304336398-picture-1056-jpg

Check out the lean the wrong way
182445d1304335874-picture-1045-jpg
Great work, but get some PPE :cool2:

I have been back today to do some more give the 880 a run with 36'' and 50'' bars,more pics and that in awhile.This sort of stuff is what the 880s are made for,and yes it was raining,better than dry and dusty i suppose.:msp_biggrin:
The 36'' bar with a Carlton full comp 3/8 .063 semi chisel and a 8 pin sprocket.
[video=youtube;EaBuhcrfgfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaBuhcrfgfc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
im guessing those bees are native?if so look after them, they could be the solution to a disease going through the exotic honey bees....

:biggrin: good stuff.

great work on the felling, amazing how good the wood is in that one still. And the water inside....weird for a dead tree???

I was talking to the cocky today and he doesn't know how many years this tree has been dead,he has been there for 8 years so dont know before that.The reason there is so much moisture in this tree is because we have some big floods over the last year or so and it must of sucked it up,you can see in some of the pics how high the last flood was not so long ago,you can see the rubbish in the trees.

Good stuff Andrew and well done on the felling technique you used too. I bet you're glad she was solid the whole way through or it may not have ended up in your favour :)

im guessing those bees are native?if so look after them, they could be the solution to a disease going through the exotic honey bees....

No the bees in the picture are not native Serg. Wild but not native. They are exactly the same honeybees as Apiarists run in Almonds etc for pollination. The wild versions always seem to be more aggressive though than their domesticated counterparts. I used to do beehive inspections in the Almond industry and they were tame compared to the wild ones...
Blue Banded Bees are native and look completely different (like mini blue Bumble Bees) but they tend to live in holes underground. Unfortunately they are difficult to rear and extremely difficult to get working properly as far as pollination goes. I was involved in trials on Blue Banded Bees in greenhouse tomatoes and they were a complete failure. Even more so when they found a small tear in the greenhouses' plastic and escaped...

The lady scientist from and Adelaide Agricultural research institute was far from impressed...

Last edited:
seems a shame to cut down a tree you obviously "love" so much

182448d1304337395-picture-1057-jpg

:hmm3grin2orange: Just kidding, very nice job on the takedown and thanks for the pics/vid that 880's a beast.

*please use some protection when you're loving your trees :D

Ya cheers mate,bloody daughter took that pick,i will love that tree even more when its stacked up at home in the wood pile.;)
I was trying to get a wedge in the back of the tree without falling in the river.

Ya cheers mate,bloody daughter took that pick,i will love that tree even more when its stacked up at home in the wood pile.;)
I was trying to get a wedge in the back of the tree without falling in the river.

Lucky you didn't get a WEDGIE in the process.

Unfortunately all you have done here Andrew is provided a propaganda photo for the Australian Green's Party hugging trees like that.

I can read the headline now...

"Environmentalist tries in vain to stop madman cutting down native, protected, endangered, carbon positive Redgum that is just hanging onto life, boldly placing himself in the way of the deadly ravenous chainsaw wielding maniac".

Or something like that...

Steady on champ i was doing the 'sorry australian natives' thing.
The only carbon positive thing this wood will give off is heat and ash.:msp_biggrin:

Well Andrew you have left a photo open to manipulation :)

That heat and ash certainly will be positive once the temps drop a lot ;) I doubt you'll be getting reimbursed for carbon credits though!
In fact I think I'm WAAAY in the red :(

well if anyone does give you greif, let them know it was an anti-errosion effort......those big dead trees end up going over and removng a hell of alot of the creek/river bank in the process....

This was the last cut for the day and it was raining,the chain needed a bit of a sort out bye then.
Vid was done on a iphone so not real flash.
The wood being wet has realy shown its colour.

[video=youtube;s_YFXMI8Y9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_YFXMI8Y9w[/video]

Last edited:
Nice job keeping the tree out of the river.I like the picture of the bees and that is some red looking saw dust,wow.

Back