The power of a grease gun....... lesson learned.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Makita generator I had to pull the gen off of the crankshaft. It's a taper fit with a long bolt to the crankshaft. The manual says to remove the mounting bolt. Tip the unit on it’s side and pour a certain amount of oil in the hole. Then take a larger bolt screw it into the provided threads and start tightening. Next thing you know there is oil flowing down the crank and you have the gen in your hands.

Yes, the power of hydraulics.

OP sorry to hear about your misfourtions!

I used to operate a Case 550E dozer and it used a cylinder on the tracks that adjusted the tracks slack with a grease gun, that was the first experience I had with the a grease gun and the hydraulic pressure it had, you could see the tracks tighten up when pumping the grease into it. My Bobcat has a similiar deal with the pivot pins on the bucket, it has a grease fitting that put pressure on the tapered pin to hold it from spinning. It doesn't surprise me it broke that cylinder. Sure sucks though, and it was a brilliant idea!

I have several of those "tools" that the manufacturer doesn't list in their catalogue. From time to time I'm reminded of why. (At least you didn't loose any teeth or draw blood) Tomorrow's a new day!

Unlucky, anywhere from 5-10K psi with them puppies, but i guess it's a mistake you would only ever make once, i think the theory behind it was good though.

Ive seen a Caterpillar 3412 engine block destroyed by hydraulics. The block was washed but a tiny amount of water was left in one of the head bolt holes. When the head was torqued the block shattered.

Back