the proper way to say stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEL

fight thread slacker
Reaction score
Stihl seems to be the most common name to say wrong. It is always said either "still" or "steal".
Surprisingly, both are wrong. This is coming from a german, and is the only proper way to say it. "schteal"
In german, st is a sch sound. Now, seeing as stihl is a pain for most non germans to say, it is the most butchered name on earth.
Just thought you might want to know how it is suppost to be said. (out of the americanized options, steel is most correct)

From the FAQ section of their U.S. website:

Our name is pronounced exactly like the metal "steel."

I bet Jonsered is mispronounced more the Stihl.

Well the majority of people say both of them wrong, most of the time, so I bet they are pretty close.

Even husqvarna is messed up a lot.
Actually most saw brands are... LOL
Poulan, shindaiwa, husqvarna, jonsered, stihl,

oh, personally I say stihl "steel", mainly because 99% of people look at you like an idot if you say it in the proper german way... LOL Its more of trivia than useful...
I still say poulan "poo-lan" for the same reason.

From the FAQ section of their U.S. website:

Our name is pronounced exactly like the metal "steel."
I hear you, but stihl is a german last name. And the traditional way to pronounce it is "schteal" Remember, the proper way to pronounce something is how the people where it originated do.
I am showing the proper german way of saying it. It may not be the american way, but it is the original way.

Most names are mispronounced but really, as long as most people know who or what someone is talking about, what difference does it make?

Most names are mispronounced but really, as long as most people know who or what someone is talking about, what difference does it make?

Exactly, this thread isnt to change how people say it, it is more trivia for how its traditionally said.
As I said, I say it "steel" for exactly your reason. Same reason I say poulan "poo-lan"...

Its true, Stihl is pronounced Schteal around here where it originates from. :)

Finally, someone who knows something!
People, its a german last name! That is how you say that german last name. It is said steel here because most americans cant say it properly. German has some very different sounds than english...

or steel.

The Stihl website doesn't say schteel or schteal. If they wanted it pronouced that way, they would have spelled it that way. After all, we have Schlitz beer and we don't pronouce it...

True. But our man here is simply telling us how the Germans would pronounce it. The hard "s" sound in German(or, 'sharfes s' as they would like to say) is a "ß" symbol. Without that, the German "s" is either pronounced similarly to an "sh" or "sch" is in American English.

Now that is out of the way, it has to be said, I have seen a ßazillion ways to spell Magullok.

this guy may know how to pronounce it

klemperer.jpg

Go ask Whitespider...

The reality is that even in America there are regional differences in how we pronounce words.

Lest we forget, Andreas was Swiss, so he could claim a regional pronunciation. If he wanted, and it'd be his business. Not yours or mine.

Just send the check to the right address.

Stihl seems to be the most common name to say wrong. It is always said either "still" or "steal".
Surprisingly, both are wrong. This is coming from a german, and is the only proper way to say it. "schteal"
In german, st is a sch sound. Now, seeing as stihl is a pain for most non germans to say, it is the most butchered name on earth.
Just thought you might want to know how it is suppost to be said. (out of the americanized options, steel is most correct)

Wo kommst du fromme? Sprechst du Deutsch?

US- Steel
Australia/Canada- Still
Or atlest the Canadians I know from southern Ontario pronounce it that way.

And those of us from Western NY-Steeeeeeel. Eveerything here is pronounced with very hard vowel sounds.

Back