the proper way to say stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lest we forget, Andreas was Swiss, so he could claim a regional pronunciation. If he wanted, and it'd be his business. Not yours or mine.

Just send the check to the right address.

I have heard a few Swiss German speakers(though my major was Industrial Design, my minor was Linguistics with a concentration in German - also, my father was German). Most have a similar manner of handling the German Eszett and "s".

It isn't a hard "sch" sound like most Americans manage. To laymans, it would sound like more of a very soft "s". Like trying to make an "s" sound further back on the tongue/palette.

I bet Jonsered is mispronounced more the Stihl.

That might be true if there were anyone actually pronouncing Jonsered. Stihl is everywhere. A large part of North America is nearly Jonsered free. Most folks have never heard of them. Well, maybe it has more name recognition than Dolmar.

So how is it pronounced? I say it with a J as in "Jones" and an S as in "glass". Is is Yonzered?

Don't take this as an insult to Jonsered or Dolmar. We use a few Jonnys at work and I wouldn't mind getting a Dolmar one of these days.

I have tried and tried. I can't get those sounds to go together somewhere between the "sch" and the "t" I loose it. Gonna have to just say it like the metal...... damn my american tongue.

schlitz and blatz are the two names I can correctly pronounce from my proximal GI tract (aka mouth) and distal GI tract (aka hiney) at the same time:clap::clap::clap:

not sure if they are German so I may have it wrong:msp_scared::msp_biggrin:

What a croak full of xxxx that is ......................

And how do you pronounce it in Chinese ?

You yanks can't even speak or spell English correctly

Last edited:
English

What a croak full of xxxx that is ......................

And how do you pronounce it in Chinese ?

You yanks can't even speak or spell English correctly

Too bad we aren't closer geographically. I'd like to take you on in a spelling, punctuation, or pronunciation contest. I suspect you might depart wearing fewer clothes than when you arrived! Yes, I'm referring to the English language.

You yanks can't even speak or spell English correctly[/QUOTE]
Now THATS a complement,coming from the Grand Masters of mangling the Queens English.

I hear you, but stihl is a german last name. And the traditional way to pronounce it is "schteal" Remember, the proper way to pronounce something is how the people where it originated do.
I am showing the proper german way of saying it. It may not be the american way, but it is the original way.

Must be a Canadian thing....I'll try to remember.

Last edited:
Too bad we aren't closer geographically. I'd like to take you on in a spelling, punctuation, or pronunciation contest. I suspect you might depart wearing fewer clothes than when you arrived! Yes, I'm referring to the English language.

Now now a fella has spare budgie smugglers I could be wearing more than one pair ............................

Latest posts

Back