The Psychology of Heating with Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I talked to an old friend at breakfast, and he said, "Boy that old ash tree ash we brought in last summer made great firewood. Fabulous heat."

I agreed and said, "Don, did you ever stop and think what it took to get that 'fabulous heat'? We had to carefully drop that old dying tree that was threatening a house. Then we let it sit there for a month to start drying. We cut hundreds of branches to length and hauled those out, saving what we could. Then we cut the trunk into three sections and hauled that to the splitter with a loader.

Then I cut the big rounds to length for splitting. Some were so huge they had to be quartered. Saw needed sharpening twice. Then we split the rounds, stacked the logs for drying, and eventually carried them to the stove. We also fought millions of carpenter ants that had nested 20' up. Ticks were everywhere. The log splitter needed repair in the middle of it when the coupling broke apart.

Yep, that was fabulous heat. Now, you could have written out a check for $200 and bought propane instead. Right?" :msp_biggrin:

Right. Kind of the point I was trying to make earlier. The psychological reason is not always an economical one.

Right. Kind of the point I was trying to make earlier. The psychological reason is not always an economical one.

Who said having fun was cheap?
I believe Wood Doctor may have been a bit sarcastic in his post. The first thing he said was that they had to carefully remove a dead/dying tree from near a house. That alone would have cost upwards of $1000+ depending on the conditions.
Repairing worn equipment comes with the territory. $18 for Lovejoy coupling on a splitter??? Pffftt! Bring it on. That just tells me that splitter has been doing a good job for a long time.
Sharpening chains to keep your saw efficient? Hah, what's your point again? :D

That would have been an awesome job to me. I say it was a job well done Wood Doc :msp_thumbsup:

Who said having fun was cheap?
I believe Wood Doctor may have been a bit sarcastic in his post. The first thing he said was that they had to carefully remove a dead/dying tree from near a house. That alone would have cost upwards of $1000+ depending on the conditions.
Repairing worn equipment comes with the territory. $18 for Lovejoy coupling on a splitter??? Pffftt! Bring it on. That just tells me that splitter has been doing a good job for a long time.
Sharpening chains to keep your saw efficient? Hah, what's your point again? :D

That would have been an awesome job to me. I say it was a job well done Wood Doc :msp_thumbsup:

True... But the ticks!!!! What about the TICKS!!!!

this cold winter may get down to where the ticks hide in winter. maybe. i've been heating with wood for 25-years. the wife always tells me she'd rather buy the wood than me spend the time cutting and sizing it. i've tried to explain it to her using everything from the economics to the workouts. ah, to no avail. if it weren't that it's be something else. i still cut our wood and heat with wood. i get great satisfaction from the hard labor involved, the sweating and aching. i also get great satisfaction from watching the fire (i think that must be a throwback from much earlier times) and feeling the heat that a fire produces; it definitely dries out the air in the house which makes it feel less cold. as said by someone else, i take great personal satisfaction in sinking my saws into the wood. i also like being outside, in all kinds of weather, and managing my woodlot. i think a common creed for most of us is "any day outside is better than any day inside". wood cutting is just maybe a good excuse to be out. just rambling but thats how it is.

this cold winter may get down to where the ticks hide in winter. maybe. i've been heating with wood for 25-years. the wife always tells me she'd rather buy the wood than me spend the time cutting and sizing it. i've tried to explain it to her using everything from the economics to the workouts. ah, to no avail. if it weren't that it's be something else. i still cut our wood and heat with wood. i get great satisfaction from the hard labor involved, the sweating and aching. i also get great satisfaction from watching the fire (i think that must be a throwback from much earlier times) and feeling the heat that a fire produces; it definitely dries out the air in the house which makes it feel less cold. as said by someone else, i take great personal satisfaction in sinking my saws into the wood. i also like being outside, in all kinds of weather, and managing my woodlot. i think a common creed for most of us is "any day outside is better than any day inside". wood cutting is just maybe a good excuse to be out. just rambling but thats how it is.

A. Well put...
B. I hope it kills them all...
:cheers:

F-em. I can't stand ticks,... Yet I always find a few. Kind of like cutting Hedge or Locust; i've never cut either w/o getting poked at least once,...

A hazard of the past time I guess... Now just don't get me started on chiggers!!! I'd rather roll in poison ivy!!!:msp_ohmy:

A hazard of the past time I guess... Now just don't get me started on chiggers!!! I'd rather roll in poison ivy!!!:msp_ohmy:

LMAO,well as allergic as I am to Ivy and Oak (poison), I guess I'd rather deal with chiggers, but not by much,... They're about as much fun as cutting 50yr old hedge posts,... They burn great but about 5 cuts and the chain is done.

i agree about chiggers and poison ivy. however, i think i may have worked up an immunity to both. took my brother in law for a walk around the property last summer and he came back all ate up. poison ivy, i decided i wasn't gonna dictate to me where i could go or what i could do. have been up to my elbows in it a bunch of times the last couple years but have had only minor rashes. that definitely wasn't always the case in the past.

i agree about chiggers and poison ivy. however, i think i may have worked up an immunity to both. took my brother in law for a walk around the property last summer and he came back all ate up. poison ivy, i decided i wasn't gonna dictate to me where i could go or what i could do. have been up to my elbows in it a bunch of times the last couple years but have had only minor rashes. that definitely wasn't always the case in the past.

I definitely have a better tolerance to Ivy now than I used to have, courtesy of having it head to toe when I was 16,... I'm still not a big fan of it though, especially the oil.

I definitely have a better tolerance to Ivy now than I used to have, courtesy of having it head to toe when I was 16,... I'm still not a big fan of it though, especially the oil.

Sorry Doc.... Thread took a little right turn there.:msp_rolleyes::arg:

Sorry Doc.... Thread took a little right turn there.:msp_rolleyes::arg:

BUT, all of that aside,...
There is nothing like the primal cave-man feeling of knowing that the the "fire in you cave" was possibly through all of your efforts, sweat and toil. It is marvelously satisfying.

True... But the ticks!!!! What about the TICKS!!!!

Ticks are just part of it. :msp_laugh:
The worst place I ever seen for ticks is in NE Arkansas. After the second day you get used to 'em crawling on ya. Juss find them dirty rascals and pick 'em off. :msp_smile:

BUT, all of that aside,...
There is nothing like the primal cave-man feeling of knowing that the the "fire in you cave" was possibly through all of your efforts, sweat and toil. It is marvelously satisfying.

I agree... It's also nice to have a glass of bourbon and stare at your pole barn full of wood... I'm preparing for the next Ice Age. Where there will be no ticks...:laugh:

Forget the Ticks...

I agree... It's also nice to have a glass of bourbon and stare at your pole barn full of wood... I'm preparing for the next Ice Age. Where there will be no ticks...:laugh:

... Heck, ticks and poison ivy are just part of the psychology of heating with wood. Getting past them is just another step to the top of the staircase. Gremlins are everywhere, waiting to pounce.

What gets me is how easy it is to avoid all those Gremlins. Just write out a check to the fuel oil dealer, the propane dealer, etc. They will deliver all the fuel that your tank can hold. Then, all you have to do is turn up the thermostat to bring them back sooner. The other utilities have it even easier. All they have to do is read the meter and send you a bill every month, penalizing you even more for late payment.

My biggest problem is that all of the neighbors think that I am nuts for burning firewood to help heat my house. They don't do it, so they cannot figure out why I do. It makes no difference what I say. I guess for them, it's more important to text messages or talk on the cell phone, watch TV, rent movies, get no exercise whatsoever, and turn up the thermostat to stay warm.

Latest posts

Back