The rec climbing challenge for arborists

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The question: Can a working climber rec climb?

Well... yes of course. But is it rec climbing? What I'm getting at is after you've spent all week, all month or the last 12 years as a working climber what happens when you climb a tree for the fun of it? You carry all of your work habits with you. This is very important, your work habits are part of what keeps you safe in the tree. But what about the ingrained "time is money" part of work climbing? Or the "get in and get out of the tree as fast as possible" part of work climbing. Or the "don't relax in the tree, it's the edge of fear that keeps me safe and keeps me moving from task to task" part of work climbing?

I'm not a work climber but I've climbed with many arborists and I've done my share of work in trees that I climb. I've rigged some good size limbs out of trees and bombed them out and some of it at night (another story). I've climbed in the wind, rain and snow, I climb in the dark a lot. The point being that I've had a taste of how challenging tree work is and how dog tired you can be after many hours working in a tree. I couldn't handle it 5 days a week. I have no where near the skill and endurance of a good working climber.

The followup question is this: can you get into a tree and relax? Maybe even fall asleep. Maybe climb for 5 hours and not notice the time passing. Rec climbers call it "tree time". Instead of dominating the tree you form a partnership and sometimes let the tree lead the way. Maybe it's an internal dialog with the tree and nature. All your daily concerns and worries take a healthy vacation, at least until you get out of the tree.

There it is, a different way of being in the tree. This is some of what rec climbing can offer. I know work climbers who understand this and I know other work climbers who are getting there, and others who just want to puke at hearing tree climbing described this way :) It's not talked about much, just want to air it out. What do you think?
-moss

Last edited:
I think you know my position on this AJ. Although I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer, given the fact that I don't climb for a living anymore (don't tell my boss I DO have a climb planned for this afternoon:clap: ) Maybe this would get more of a response in the commercial thread???

This time of year I am in a tree everyday whether it be for work or rec. I am a bowhunter and every day I am not in a tree working I am in a tree hunting. I went out and set a tree stand up for my dad Sun. and sat in in for about an hour. No hunting yet because season is not quite here yet but I enjoyed the woods for about an hour from my perch.

I also like to climb the large Oaks in my dad's yard whenever I try out a new piece of equipment or just want to practice rope climbing.

The question: Can a working climber rec climb?

I actually enjoy rec climbing, just not with rec climbers.;) I usually use it as a time to try out new gear and keep my spurless climbing skills sharp. For me the fun in tree climbing is the challenge of getting up the tree. 20+ trips up and down a tree is not uncommon for me on a rec climb. That's why rec climbers don't like going with me.

I seem to sleep in my Summit tree stand pretty well. No telling how many deer have crossed underneath me while I am sawing logs.

I always thought these were pretty cool and could be set up high aloft. They used to have a pic on their website of a guy who had set his up high in the canopy. I'd love to do that myself.

http://www.junglehammock.com/

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure if I was going to get flamed or what. I'm going to hit on a few different comments without quoting so bear with me.

Sleeping in a tree
Here's the most minimal way to nap in a tree, the climber (Alban) did manage to close his eyes and zone out for awhile:
519297807_54e0049d1a.jpg

I have an NT treeboat, I love it. I don't care what time of day or night it is, get in that thing up high in a tree and you want to fall asleep immediately. You have to be more creative to rig it than a portaledge. The advantage of a portaledge is you can hang it from a single point. The basic treeboat is fabric only so it rolls up fairly compact and is very light. At the recent rec climbing rendezvous Nick Araya had an awesome set up with his treeboat hung way out suspended between two ponderosa. He put a static line traverse above the boat so he could get in and out of it. Totally sweet setup. Tom Dunlap loves his porty, he has a small pop-up tent that he puts on top of it. The basic treeboat allows you to get in the game for a little less money.

Good point from TreeCo about bringing up new climbers on a rec climbs. It is work (the most fun kind), probably 75% of my climbs I'm putting new climbers into trees. It can make for a very long day depending on what kind of prep needs to be done and how high or low maintenance the climbers are. They are usually great and make my job easy.

To what beowulf343 said about going up and down the tree 20 times on a rec climb: That's pretty much what I do when I'm running a climb, but that's more of a work climb for me. I see training for an ITCC, trying out new technique etc. as rec climbing but... it's work directed, more like outside classes in support of your work. It's worth pushing the envelope sometimes and try a climb that has nothing to do with anything you do at work. I understand this is difficult for some climbers since you can't just flick a switch and turn off what you've been doing all week on the job. Well... some try to do that by drinking quantities of beer on Friday night, that's a whole 'nother conversation.

treeMD, those Clark jungle hammocks look totally cool. Would be interesting to test them out up high. Their strength rating is comparable to the NT hammocks. For the NT hammocks the recommendation is to stay tied in when you're sleeping and the same should be true for the jungle hammock. Another option I'm thinking about is building a lightweight portable platform from wood that I can install temporarily or for a season in one of my favorite trees.
-moss

Last edited:
book

Sounds like the musings of a book. Stop sleeping around up there and remember to bring a pad with you. I am also interested in building a platform to set up my paints and paint from. But right now I can't find time to tie my shoes. :bang:

...I am also interested in building a platform to set up my paints and paint from. But right now I can't find time to tie my shoes. :bang:

Aha! Art in the tree, do it! I want to but haven't made the time yet. I'd like to tape a big piece of heavy drawing paper to a nice wide trunk at about 50 feet and get to work. Sitting on a platform, even better.

On the fantasy end I'd like to rig a big piece of paper or a canvas and then set up a big swing parallel to the canvas and fly by with a huge brush (look out below!) to make a wicked fat brush stroke as I go by. There is no end to the potential fun in a tree.
-moss

Last edited:
Moss, I topped the tree for your buddy in JP, it was a ton of fun! However I prefer rec climbing, I can take my time and enjoy the climb without having to use my gaffs or crane!

The Montebello RD. squirrel condo!

holy $#%!, that must have been interesting, one of the most hollowed out and ready to collapse largish norway maples I've seen in awhile. Luckily there's no shortage of condo space for squirrels around here. Thanks on behalf of the citizens of our fair city aka dirty bean for taking care of that.
-moss

Last edited:
I would've just dropped it. Right on that kids car:censored:

See what I mean? Here we are in a rec climbing thread and we've ended up at crushing cars!

DonnyO, speaking of using cars as tree pillows are you related to James the narcoleptic "arborist" by any chance?
-moss

See what I mean? Here we are in a rec climbing thread and we've ended up at crushing cars!

DonnyO, speaking of using cars as tree pillows are you related to James the narcoleptic "arborist" by any chance?
-moss

C'mon Moss, bombing targets could be a whole new area for RTC to explore! JUST KIDDING.

Just climbing a tree is enough. I can't explain why it's fun, but it is.

Tree Hammocks

I seem to sleep in my Summit tree stand pretty well. No telling how many deer have crossed underneath me while I am sawing logs.

I always thought these were pretty cool and could be set up high aloft. They used to have a pic on their website of a guy who had set his up high in the canopy. I'd love to do that myself.

http://www.junglehammock.com/

I checked out the jungle hammocks and asked them if they were safe for tree use. You can see the e-mail below.
Aaron,

We do not recommend using our products above three feet off the ground.
However, because the Clark Jungle Hammock won't tip, we think it is very
safe. It is the liability that is the problem.

Regards,
Clark Customer Service

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:01 PM
Subject: Tree use

> I do recreational tree climbing and I am looking for a hammock for
sleeping up in a tree. I know New Tribe has thier "Tree Boat" hammocks
>
http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35&osCsid=c44c5dc63bb42e6a1f
d329995c544c09
> I was wondering how your hammocks compare to those? Are your hammocks safe
for high tree use?
> Thanks.
>
> Aaron Bump
>

So I would stick with a port-a-ledge or New Tribe's stuff. But the jungle hammocks are really cool. If they made one safe for tree use, I would definitely go for it.

If you remain tied in it doesn't matter what the Clark Hammock makers say, unless there is something inherently unstable about the hammock. I suspect they don't know much about tree climbing and don't understand that the climber will always be attached to a life line while they're in a hammock up high.
-moss

Back