The secret member of the 5000 family

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that may not know, CCS means Centrifugal Cleaning System, and is Partners designation of the Air Injection/Turbo.

Correct, but wasn`t it Partner that was first with the system, and therefore turbo/air injection is the others names for CCS :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW Doesn´t Husky also call it something with "centrifugal" ?

Correct, but wasn`t it Partner that was first with the system, and therefore turbo/air injection is the others names for CCS :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW Doesn´t Husky also call it something with "centrifugal" ?

No, just "Air Injection" - and there are several candidates as to who was the originator of the system. Pioneer and even Remington are among the candidates, long before it was "reinvented" 20+ years later, in the late 1980s.....

I forgot to mention this earlier, but there is another "secret" member of this saw family - the JoBu 949 (at least I think it is 949).

Last edited:
I forgot to mention this earlier, but there is another "secret" member of this saw family - the JoBu 949 (at least I think it is 949).

Your correct! A quick google search will show it real fast. I stole a picture but thought maybe I shouldn't post it here.

It appears to be a direct rebage of a Jonsered 490. There was even a heated handle model.

I knew that Poulan private labled some saws for Jobu but not the Jonsered version of the 490.

Was there a Elux connection with Jobu?

Your correct! A quick google search will show it real fast. I stole a picture but thought maybe I shouldn't post it here.

It appears to be a direct rebage of a Jonsered 490. There was even a heated handle model.

I knew that Poulan private labled some saws for Jobu but not the Jonsered version of the 490.

Was there a Elux connection with Jobu?
Elux bought JoBu at about the same time they bought Husky, Jred and Partner - it just is less well known that they did. The aftermath of the JoBu factory today is a plant that makes the true "Made in Norway" Husky bars (those that are not rebranded Oregons), and all the better Electric saws for Husky + probably a lot more.......

I have been eyeing the fuel cap on your saw. I wonder if that fuel cap would fit the vintage partner 500 or 5000 saws? My old orange fuel cap has given up and leaks to high heaven. Tough to find a good used replacement. I would be interested in a new cap/s if they fit the old saws. Look forward to a reply.
:chainsawguy:

Hello,
i have almost got a 543 in an auction today...:msp_angry: as a Mcculloch 543 :dizzy:
Motorsäge Mc Coulloch 543 | eBay
Never knew there were other Partners than the P100 sold under the Mcculloch brand :msp_wink:
I damn hate this bidding agents...lost at the same moment the auction ended *d'oh !* >_<
regards
Max

Last edited:
No, but Husky had the stronger 154/254/254xp, and never rebranded that one for any of the other brands. :msp_wink:

That one had a longer stroke/smaller bore, and was a true 54cc saw.

I know husky had the 254!
But isn't that saw a heavier one, than a 50/55 saw? And when Partner had a good closed port p/c that would fit the 55, from the 5500 and the 5000, why not make it?

I know husky had the 254!
But isn't that saw a heavier one, than a 50/55 saw? And when Partner had a good closed port p/c that would fit the 55, from the 5500 and the 5000, why not make it?

The only reasons I can imagine is that they didn't want to compete with themself, and/or the fact the 50/51/55 wasnt a design intended for the pro market. :msp_unsure:

Hello,
i have almost got a 543 in an auction today...:msp_angry: as a Mcculloch 543 :dizzy:
Motorsäge Mc Coulloch 543 | eBay
Never knew there were other Partners than the P100 sold under the Mcculloch brand :msp_wink:
I damn hate this bidding agents...lost at the same moment the auction ended *d'oh !* >_<
regards
Max

That saw sure looked good, sorry to here you didn´t got it :msp_angry: Looks just like my Partner!

Never knew you could get this one, as a McCulloch! But have seen a lot of the smaller Partner/Poulan´s as McCulloch´s!

Also think yhere is a connection between McCulloch, and the newer Partner´s : 4600, 4700, 4900, 5000, 5200 and 5300´s !

The only reasons I can imagine is that they didn't want to compete with themself, and/or the fact the 50/51/55 wasnt a design intended for the pro market. :msp_unsure:

Maybe you´re right, but wasn´t the 254, related to the bigger 257 and 262 xp´s? Which, if I remember right, where heavier than the 50´s series.

And as far as competing, with them selves, right now they have lot´s of overlaps.

Last edited:
Maybe you´re right, but wasn´t the 254, related to the bigger 257 and 262 xp´s? Which, if I remember right, were heavier than the 50´s series.

They were, but the 254 was quite a bit lighter than the 262 anyway, as there were more differences than just the engine. The 254 wasn't much heavier than the 2055, and the P5500 was heavier according to specs (but I suspect a mistake in the 5500 specs :confused2:).

And as far as competing, with them selves, right now they have lot´s over overlaps.

This is just speculation - but by now Husky decides, back then it was E-lux - and attitude/policy some times change with time anyway.....

... (but I suspect a mistake in the 5500 specs :confused2:).
I doubt that it is a mistake, i just weighed my Partner 540 with bar and chain and a rest of oil in it and it was 6,8 Kilo. Chain is Stihl 0,325 RMC and bar is a Oregon 38cm Pro Lite.
The 490 is indeed a bit lighter (acres says 5,8 Kilo with bar and chain), i will weigh both with the same bar and chain, i just don't have the time at the moment.
The 540, 543 and 5500 have a more sophisticated tank ventilation valve and filter and carburator with a real choke. I will also check if the more modern plastic chainbrake cover is lighter, i assume they used it because it was just cheaper...
Max

I doubt that it is a mistake, i just weighed my Partner 540 with bar and chain and a rest of oil in it and it was 6,8 Kilo. Chain is Stihl 0,325 RMC and bar is a Oregon 38cm Pro Lite.
The 490 is indeed a bit lighter (acres says 5,8 Kilo with bar and chain), i will weigh both with the same bar and chain, i just don't have the time at the moment.
The 540, 543 and 5500 have a more sophisticated tank ventilation valve and filter and carburator with a real choke. I will also check if the more modern plastic chainbrake cover is lighter, i assume they used it because it was just cheaper...
Max

Thanks for the responce!
Different bars can make a big difference regarding total weigh though, so saws should be (empty and clean) powerhead only when weighted for a serious comparison.

I agree that the main purpose of plastic clutch covers probably was to save money - it is generally not a very good idea, specially with an outboard clutch.......

Anyway, I am in speculation mode anyway on this topic by now, but that is part of the fun with this! :D:laugh::laugh:

hi,
the specs of the 5500 should be right, i weighed roughly 6 Kilo for my Partner 540 (which should actually be the same saw except of the open ports).Still Oil in it, the Jonsered was 6 Kilo filled up both tanks. I know thats not really accurate, but i didn't want to empty them and all i wanted to know was if the 540/5500 is really heavier. And it is, the reason must be the slightly different handle setup, carb, tank valve and there is other sheet plastic used on the Jonsered. All that can make some 100g...
And, i've seen no weight difference between both clutch covers.
regards
Max

Latest posts

Back