The Sharpened Chain (maybe)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am holding the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual in my left hand. I must admit that I may have learned more so far in this thread than from the book. Regardless, I keep the book handy for a refresher course. You can have all the horsepower in the world and the saw won't cut worth a hoot without a good, sharp chain.

I am holding the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual in my left hand. I must admit that I may have learned more so far in this thread than from the book. Regardless, I keep the book handy for a refresher course. You can have all the horsepower in the world and the saw won't cut worth a hoot without a good, sharp chain.

Yeah, you have to dig to get good information on chains and there's a lot of misinformation out there that needs to be filtered. I'm no expert...

def. expert, a guy from outa town

...but i learned initially from several years i spent maintaining saws for a bay area tree service. we sharpened or replaced twenty chains every sunday night, blew them down, inspected for damage, and repaired, and cleaned air filters too, 3120 to 020t. since i moved out of that mass production environment i've learned a lot. about the only advice that i give frequently is, get a pair of reading glasses twice as stong as the ones you use for reading and use a good light.

a dull chain will make a 70cc saw cut poorly and a sharp chain will make a 50cc saw cut well.

Latest posts

Back