The SOB sat back on me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inavacuum

inavacuum

ArboristSite Lurker
So me and a buddy decided to fell a nice sized White oak for firewood next winter. All was going well until I was almost done with my relief cut and a big gust of wind came howling in and sat the tree back right on my bar.

We don't have a tractor or winch to use and decided wedges would probably be the best way to go. I ordered a few 8inch wedges from Baileys and I'm hoping this will work. I can buy another bar if I have to, but I'd really like to avoid that.

I ordered 3 wedges, what's the best procedure to tip the tree over?

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Wedges, and plenty of them will get the tree stood up and over if you left enough hinge.
Be wary of the hinge blowing out if you didn't.

You're lucky the thing didn't "Set back" on you or your bud.
Count your blessings.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
buzz sawyer
So me and a buddy decided to fell a nice sized White oak for firewood next winter. All was going well until I was almost done with my relief cut and a big gust of wind came howling in and sat the tree back right on my bar.

We don't have a tractor or winch to use and decided wedges would probably be the best way to go. I ordered a few 8inch wedges from Baileys and I'm hoping this will work. I can buy another bar if I have to, but I'd really like to avoid that.

How deep is the bar into the tree? What is the dia. of the tree? Can you post a photo? Unless there's room behind the bar to start driving a wedge, you're going to have to pull or lift the tree off the bar or make a back cut up higher. Maybe a big prybar in the cut to get the tree off the bar? PLEASE use extreme caution. Sounds like it may be almost ready to come down.

ShermanC

ShermanC

ArboristSite Operative
Mountain View, AR 2-1/2 hours north of Little Rock
Been there, done that. Extreme caution and alertness is the order of the day!

Can you get a toss line up in the tree? Clear escape paths around that tree base because you might have to run. If you can get a line up there, carefully hook and pull a heavy rope back through a crotch around the trunk. Set that line to one or two Maasdam rope puller(s) or come alongs secured on a tree base far out in the direction of fall. I have a six foot (22 lbs.) pry bar (bought long ago at a Wal-Mart Super Center) using it to start the opening into which I'd fit the wedges. As you pound wedges keep an eye on the cut thickness because the tree might start to fall the wrong direction. Pound the wedges with even pressure or make it favor the desired direction of fall. In the future, put wedges in behind the back cut to keep this from happening. Good luck,
Sherm

NCTREE

NCTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite

Sounds like you need to take some lessons from this guy

Farming Magazine - The Game of Logging

If you don't know how to fell a tree safely then you shouldn't be doing it. It's a good way to get wacked or do property damage.:dizzy:

You guys are dime a dozen!

oscar4883

oscar4883

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get a rope in it, get some wedges, etc. Best bet is to call a pro with skills and an insurance policy at this point. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will only cost about what a cord of wood goes for.

climberjones

climberjones

ArboristSite Guru

Bullrope 3 quarters the way up if solid tree ! pulley anchored to something damn strong and a heavy truck that is not going to spin. if the hinge is iffy than i wouldnt walk up to the saw again until the tree is on the ground!!!!!let us know how it goes!

Boogieman142

Boogieman142

ArboristSite Guru
if you have another saw or even another B&C for that saw I'd atleast take the powerhead off the stuck one, and either put another B&C on that one or use a different saw and cut above that cut and this time cut a step in it to allow for the use of a wedge in case it pinches the bar. But I'd be sure that my powerhead doesn't get left out there until the wedges come in.

ducaticorse

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get a rope in it, get some wedges, etc. Best bet is to call a pro with skills and an insurance policy at this point. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will only cost about what a cord of wood goes for.

All an insurance policy will get you in the middle of the woods is a bill! Unless in this case you're talking about LIFE INSURANCE.

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
That is why I put a tag line in everyone that I drop unless it is an absolute slam dunk. A tag line placed 3/4 up in the tree will negate these types of problems.

Personally, I would wait for the wedges at this point. I would not want to be standing in the drop zone fiddling with a throw line in the event another wind gust comes through and decides to blow it over. If it's in an area that is accessible to people or there is even the slightest chance someone is going to come through there the area and tree need to be marked with caution tape.

Very dicey situation you have on your hands there.

beastmaster

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Can't tell much without a photo, but it seems to me if it was just the wind that set it back, it would lift off the bar some when there was no wind.
Its really hard to judge the lean of some trees, especially a big oak with lots of big limbs. Even under perfect conditions they can twist or do strange things.
If you misjudged the weight distribution real bad(easy to do) or didn't leave a good hinge, wedges might not be the solution.
In all seriousness that tree could kill you. Swallow your pride and call a professional. Just my two cents. Be safe. Beastmaster

brownd

brownd

ArboristSite Lurker
Wow! I believe we are in the arborist 101, correct? Listen to the good advise and skip over the rest! Can be a huge learning curve. Hopefully a painless one.:confused:

ducaticorse

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow! I believe we are in the arborist 101, correct? Sorry for the ashholes that are here. Listen to the good advise and skip over the rest! Can be a huge learning curve. Hopefully a painless one.:confused:

Dropping a large oak tree with no professional supervision is no place to be realizing your "learning curve". You ask questions here first, than apply the info in a practical manner. NOT the other way around. Don't coddle the thread starter because he could have been KILLED or KILLED someone else due to his negligence, and inexperience. This isn't a game.

Last edited:
oscar4883

oscar4883

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow! I believe we are in the arborist 101, correct? Sorry for the ashholes that are here. Listen to the good advise and skip over the rest! Can be a huge learning curve. Hopefully a painless one.:confused:

Some of us, I know I do, may think this in the wrong section. I suspect this is for the Homeowner section, however I could be wrong. This would be a simple thing for any "pro" so to speak. Unless it is some monster tree.

Latest posts