THE STUMP FROM HELL !!!! pics !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets set up the lawn chairs and BBQ around this thing:cheers:

BBQ...not a bad idea. Fill that pit with Charcoal, soak liberally with lighter fluid, and throw a match in there. Get yourself a hog or side of beef or whatever and have fun with that stump.

BBQ...not a bad idea. Fill that pit with Charcoal, soak liberally with lighter fluid, and throw a match in there. Get yourself a hog or side of beef or whatever and have fun with that stump.

With all that's happened with this stump he'll probably not want to cook anything for humas over it.

Git yer black powder diesel rub ribs here!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yep...calling in a grinder now would be admitting defeat.

You dag on tootin that's the true belgian spirit right there... Da man just can't quit after battling this stump for almost two years... I say we call Hoss with one of his big saws with a real old chain on it and we kill this s@cker !!! :chainsaw:
and then we all have ourselves a bbq as bermie suggested so nicely. I'll bring on the beer :cheers:

Truth to be told I'm in a kinda battle mood today after a russian truck driver bumped into my car today, grrrrrrrrrr.

Charge

Obviously... the blackpowder charge wasen't big enough.... Not to mention you can blow up whatever you want on your own land.... noone will ever tell me otherwise....

The stump from hell

"Never wrestle with a pig...after awhile you will tire...and the pig will enjoy it"

I wish this was a "rare occurence" but it's not. I get these kind of calls "all the time". Since you have "declared war" on this stump..I suppose it is pointless to argue with "an armed man on a mission". But even in war the benefit of the objective has to be worth the "spoils gained".
What are you going to gain by NOT calling in the "Heavy Artillery"???? Being an AF veteran I will try to put it this way: What you are doing is the equivalent of 100 B-52 missions on the enemy in a cave...vs one mission with a "stealth" bomber dropping a "smart bomb"...think about it.
After the smoke clears, the dust settles, and you can "declare victory" what will you have? A large "open sore" in your backyard, a bunch of wood that has no purpose and a "pile of mess" somewhere else in the yard.
...And thats' if nothing goes wrong! Do you have any kids or pets? You are "on the verge" of being "an accident waiting for a time to happen". All it is going to take is one slip of judgement (being so focused on winning over the stump) the Mrs. coming out to tell you "supper is ready" while you are tearing at it with the backhoe...etc. You have all the makings of a "Bad OSHA movie" in the making.
I'm trying to follow what little logic I can find here. Having a "professional" stump grinder come in you are worried about the "mess" or "ground settling"?
You have access to a backhoe...whats' the problem? Mess? What the ^ell are you going to do with the remnants of the stump when you declare victory? You still have a big hole to fill in. Cost..??? If you are willing to take time off from work (lose money to save it?) sounds like a "government job" to me.
The "smartest" man (or 'warrior') knows when to "cut your losses", pull back, and attack with a better plan...

Drill some big holes in it till you hit dirt on the underside. Put I beams in the holes. Use the I beams as the first story to build a metal tower. Attach cables to the top of the tower and pull the tower over. Easy.

Drill some big holes in it till you hit dirt on the underside. Put I beams in the holes. Use the I beams as the first story to build a metal tower. Attach cables to the top of the tower and pull the tower over. Easy.

Heck! Use the I-beams as pry-bars! (cable on top then PULL!) Split that puppy its a 'bad dog!' :laugh: :laugh:

KK.

:popcorn: *nice warm bonfire* & *beer* & *an' passes several around to spectators* :popcorn:

I have to agree with NEK VT that the black powder charge wasnt big enough. Start with Gasmans drill holes till you hit dirt and but then fill with black powder. If at first you dont succeed, you then get a bigger hammer.

Your Case 580 has more power than my machine. Work on "spinning" the stump. Left to right, then right to left. Maybe a few setups with your 580. When I get down to a stump like yours, I find this spinning to be far more effective and trying to rip it out. This twisting will loosen up the center root/s and you will start to see it give in.
bob

Well thanks to all the inspiration I won the stump battle today .It took 6 hours of digging and chopping with my axe. This post has helped me greatly to lean about everyone since I am new to this site. I learned that those with grinders say that is the best and only way, this means get the cash out and it will solve all your problems. The barbecue with all the lawn chairs was an awesome idea. The bigger black powder idea probably would have played hell with my outdoor wood boiler next to the stump. The leverage idea made me change my digging technique, which worked the best. I was using the bucket like a shoehorn with some blocking to get the stump loosened. There is a logical explanation for almost everything I tried. I could have given up and asked for help but I am a little stubborn in that way. But I did ask the great people of this site for help and it worked in one way or another. This post was just meant as a funny story of me and the stump and I hope it entertained you guys. I am posting the pics of the victory today but the funniest pictures will come tomorrow. stay tuned. The damage to my yard is not a factor since I will be digging it all up for rainwater pipe routing.

Yay!!

The advice ya got here =0.02$

The cost of 2yr battle =500+ (?-gah)

The expression on yer face pic 1 =priceless!

'Bout time! Now you have ta find something else to battle, a nice stand of Hawthorn or a blackberry patch maybe? :monkey:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Man that is a fugly ol' stump...........end table?

:cheers:

By the way the stump was over 4500 lbs because the front bucket of the backhoe wouldn't lift it. This was one big old Silver Maple.:crazy1:

Well thanks to all the inspiration I won the stump battle today .

Congratulations on your victory :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now you seem to be left with a huge stump, that doesn't look good in your garden....and birds will love to sit on it and have a good laugh about the good ole times they watched you battling this stump :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

allright, end good, all good !

Good for you Timber man, hey, here's a short clip of what some Aussie natives thought, they might even perch on that stump real nice.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back