The sweet stench of red oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do love the smell of freshly cut or split fire wood. Just bought a Huskee 22 ton spliter (two weeks ago) and have been splitting about an hour every morning before work. I've got 3 cords stacked. Also milled some Hickory planks. The court just smells great. I've got several cords of Black Locust to split when I get done with this pile, and I even like the smell of the Horse Pee Locust. My wife used to say I was on the computer too much. Now I'm out on the court every extra minute. I've said it before, I just don't know what I'll do If i ever get too old to split wood, Joe.

Find some young lad to split for you. Then you can sit and enjoy the smell, while enjoying a cold beverage. All the while, not breaking a sweat.:msp_thumbup:

I do love the smell of freshly cut or split fire wood. Just bought a Huskee 22 ton spliter (two weeks ago) and have been splitting about an hour every morning before work. I've got 3 cords stacked. Also milled some Hickory planks. The court just smells great. I've got several cords of Black Locust to split when I get done with this pile, and I even like the smell of the Horse Pee Locust. My wife used to say I was on the computer too much. Now I'm out on the court every extra minute. I've said it before, I just don't know what I'll do If i ever get too old to split wood, Joe.

What's a court in regards to splitting firewood?

Spent the weekend hauling in 4 to 6 cord of fresh cut red oak rounds. They are in a pile 150 ft from the deck. When out on the deck or anywhere in the yard, all you can smell is oak. I love that smell of free heat. Kind of hope the neighbors are the kind that think it smells like crap, they are new and annoying.
I smoke meat with red oak. Many restaurants do the same.

I suggest that you bring in a whole bunch of Box Elder and split that. See what your neighbors think of that stuff. But, make sure that the wind is blowing away from your house.

Yep, that's my neighbors and we are putting it on the pile tomorrow. There is another one a little bigger right behind it. We'll split those two 50/50. I figured I would have to sell 6 cords in the next 6 months to pay for the splitter. Got it with 6 months 0% interest. Looks like I'll have the splitter paid for in the first month, Joe.

Back